1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Sweet Potatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by rabbithutch, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Khaos WolfKat

Khaos WolfKat Newbie

I had the idea come to me today cause I got some organic sweet taters in my CSA box and want to eat them them, but it's HOT out and don't wanna turn on even the toaster oven. So I thought, "I bet they'd be good smoked. Let's look it up", and so I did! Long as I'm firin' up the smoker, I s'pose I oughtta put something else in there too. Maybe. I'll report back on results.

2. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great idea KWK! I just fired up the smoker for a long pork butt smoke. Got some yellow sweet taters that'll go in tomorrow when I'm finishing the smoke. Thanks for the inspiration!

3. Khaos WolfKat

Khaos WolfKat Newbie

WOW!! So, yesterday, I finally got round to doing my smoked yams experiment. I rubbed the skins all over with bacon grease, smoked 'em at 250 for about 3 hours with cherry and mesquite wood chips/chunks, then upped the temp to 350 for half an hour cause they weren't caramelising like I wanted and also wanted to up the smoke for a bit, and then let them rest about half an hour with just the residual heat.

OH MY GAWDS! I very highly recommend doing this. They were amazing with just a little butter, salt, and pepper. And for goodness sake, don't discard the skins like so many seem to advocate!
    Next I think I'm gonna try beets.