Smoked Sweet Potatoes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had the idea come to me today cause I got some organic sweet taters in my CSA box and want to eat them them, but it's HOT out and don't wanna turn on even the toaster oven. So I thought, "I bet they'd be good smoked. Let's look it up", and so I did! Long as I'm firin' up the smoker, I s'pose I oughtta put something else in there too. Maybe. I'll report back on results.

WOW!! So, yesterday, I finally got round to doing my smoked yams experiment. I rubbed the skins all over with bacon grease, smoked 'em at 250 for about 3 hours with cherry and mesquite wood chips/chunks, then upped the temp to 350 for half an hour cause they weren't caramelising like I wanted and also wanted to up the smoke for a bit, and then let them rest about half an hour with just the residual heat.

OH MY GAWDS! I very highly recommend doing this. They were amazing with just a little butter, salt, and pepper. And for goodness sake, don't discard the skins like so many seem to advocate!
Next I think I'm gonna try beets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky