Mashed Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I did some searching and didn't find anything specific about different recipes for mashed potatoes. I see them in many cook threads on here as a side, but usually there's no specific recipe.

For me, I like gold potatoes best, then Russets. When our children were young, I'd give them the option of skin on or off. Now I always peel them. Cut into 1" squares and boil in unsalted water. While they are boiling, I melt some unsalted butter in a small sauce pan and add in a scoop of sour cream and pour in some ½&½. Let this just warm up. Add this to the drained potatoes and use a hand mixer to whip them up. This where my grands like to jump in and help. Add salt and pepper to taste. The amounts of everything depends on how much I want to make. If I use a 5lb. bag of potatoes, I'll use a stick of butter, 2 spoonsful of sour cream, and about 1½ cups of the ½&½. Sometimes I add cheddar and crumbled bacon.

So what is your go-to recipe?

I did some searching and didn't find anything specific about different recipes for mashed potatoes. I see them in many cook threads on here as a side, but usually there's no specific recipe.

For me, I like gold potatoes best, then Russets. When our children were young, I'd give them the option of skin on or off. Now I always peel them. Cut into 1" squares and boil in unsalted water. While they are boiling, I melt some unsalted butter in a small sauce pan and add in a scoop of sour cream and pour in some ½&½. Let this just warm up. Add this to the drained potatoes and use a hand mixer to whip them up. This where my grands like to jump in and help. Add salt and pepper to taste. The amounts of everything depends on how much I want to make. If I use a 5lb. bag of potatoes, I'll use a stick of butter, 2 spoonsful of sour cream, and about 1½ cups of the ½&½. Sometimes I add cheddar and crumbled bacon.

So what is your go-to recipe?
I am similar, but also add a good amount of chive cream cheese, use a potato masher to leave some lumps in the mash.

I am similar, but also add a good amount of chive cream cheese, use a potato masher to leave some lumps in the mash.
I don't make potatoes but do make mashed turnip / cauliflower. I always use some cream cheese in mine along with heavy cream and butter. Variations I do include adding truffle oil and gruyere or mixes like ranch dressing mix or green onion dip mix. Cheddar and / or bacon in those never hurts

I use russets and Yukon golds . Gives 2 different texture . I also peel and cut into chunks of different sizes . Big and small , so some are cooked more than others .
Drain and add butter and sour cream and use a hand masher . Salt and pepper to taste .

For a twist , my Son does a twice baked version . After the above is done , he mixes in the " baked potato " themed stuff , tops it off with the same and bakes in the oven .
Really good like this .
20221218_182513.jpg

I use russets and Yukon golds . Gives 2 different texture . I also peel and cut into chunks of different sizes . Big and small , so some are cooked more than others .
Drain and add butter and sour cream and use a hand masher . Salt and pepper to taste .

For a twist , my Son does a twice baked version . After the above is done , he mixes in the " baked potato " themed stuff , tops it off with the same and bakes in the oven .
Really good like this .
View attachment 678235
Rich that's some gorgeous taters there!!

I do a few variations,
Mashed, Baked Mash and Twice Baked.
Because of a few picky eaters leaving the skin-on is usually verboten, as is black pepper, chopped chives and green onion.

I use either Yukon, Russet or Red potatoes and they get mashed and whipped smooth.

A simple batch is heavy on the butter, salt and white pepper.

Then there is the next step up with butter, sour cream, heavy cream, salt and white pepper.

To which there may be added bacon or ham, perhaps some caramelized onions, minced garlic, cheese also may make it's way in, Gruyere, Gouda, Parmesan Reggiano, or even just plain old Monterey Jack or Colby Jack.

tWO9BaW.jpg

nXyImSr.jpg

I also make Japanese Korokke, which is a mashed potato croquette.
O9geVO7.jpg

Last edited:
I had recently asked David for some help. I can't make a decent mash potatoes to save my life! My older friend on river requested liver and onions with mash. I just got the liver yesterday and will be giving Davids tips a try.

I don't make potatoes but do make mashed turnip / cauliflower. I always use some cream cheese in mine along with heavy cream and butter. Variations I do include adding truffle oil and gruyere or mixes like ranch dressing mix or green onion dip mix. Cheddar and / or bacon in those never hurts
I tried a couple truffle oil from Kroger. Did not care for. Might of been bad oil? Someone here suggested using Truffle salt. I used it on the last batch of turnip / cauliflower mash and man was that good.

Reactions: jcam222
I would love to try a ricer to make mashed potatoes, it's supposed to be mo better I have read, being as I aint supposed to eat them anyway diabetic I have refrained from buying 1.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky