1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Korean beef short ribs (kalbi) and a mystery pork cut

Discussion in 'Beef' started by solman, Jul 10, 2019.

1. solman

solman Smoking Fanatic

I grew up eating a ton of kalbi (korean beef short ribs) and it's always been cooked over a grill, hot and fast. I tried smoking some years ago but it turned out more jerky than tender, and I swore I'd never do it again. I think the problem then was that I smoked it at too high a temperature and/or too long. I figured I'd give it another go.

I remember kalbi being super cheap years ago. Now, it's close to $10/pound.
    20190710_163143.jpg

20190710_163157.jpg

I'm not sure what cut of pork this is, but it looked good and I figured I'd smoke it too. It was marinated similar to the kalbi, but definitely sweeter.
    20190710_163457.jpg

Here's everything laid out on a half sheet pan ready for the smoker. The cut of pork was like a sheet that had been rolled up.
    20190710_163503.jpg

I used mostly mesquite with a few hickory chunks thrown in. I think total smoke time was around 1.75 hours, temperature 180-190F.
    20190710_171533.jpg
    Out of the smoker, and ready to finish off on a charcoal grill. Next time I may smoke it for a bit longer, maybe 2-2.5 hours at 180-190F.
    20190710_184736.jpg

Getting nice grill marks on the kalbi.
    20190710_184913.jpg

My charcoal grill is a weber go anywhere portable grill, so it's pretty small, and I wasn't able to fit everything on it at the same time. Here's the pork getting it's turn on the grill.
    20190710_185220.jpg

All done. Everything came out great and better than I expected. The mesquite wood smoke flavor really came through on the meat, but wasn't overpowering. Finishing it off on the charcoal grill definitely added to the flavor profile, and I wouldn't do it any other way going forward. This is actually how I ate it, no sides or fillers, just meat. :)
    20190710_185643.jpg

tallbm, JC in GB, gmc2003 and 4 others like this.
  2. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome. Big shout for the Go Anywhere as well. I have one for car camping, and love it.

3. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks really good.
    I might have had to put some sauce on that, some nice Bulgogi or maybe Spicy Black Bean.

4. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Looks great man! Nice cook

5. solman

solman Smoking Fanatic

i love this weber grill! my only complaint is that the air intake dampers on the sides don't open/close easily. my workaround was to cut some aluminum flashing into squares, and insert those in between the actual damper and grill body, and use that to open/close the air intake holes.

that's a great idea. i love bulgogi but the sauces and marinades have way too much sugar in them. i thought about reducing the leftover marinade to make a glaze, but even without a sauce, both kalbi and pork came out really well.

thanks! the kalbi and bulgogi marinades are super easy to make but i was feeling lazy and picked these up at the local asian store. next time i'll do my own marinade so i can control how much sugar goes into it.

6. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks Great, Solman!!
    Bet it smells & tastes even better!!!
    Like.

Bear

7. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

looks tasty, I think your mystery meat looks like a boneless pork butt slice ran through a cube steak (tenderizer) machine

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. chilerelleno

X2 Agree

JC in GB likes this.
  9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Nice looking smoke. I'd enjoy a plate....

Point for sure
    Chris

10. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Wow that looks delicious!

11. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Yup---A tenderized Pork Shoulder Steak.
    I like that idea!

Bear

JC in GB likes this.
  12. solman

solman Smoking Fanatic

i think this pork cut would work really well in pork katsu:

[​IMG]

13. chilerelleno

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. solman

solman Smoking Fanatic

15. chilerelleno

Yeah, way too many, very sad story.

16. chilerelleno

Well....
    There's gonna be a Japanese night this weekend.