• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rmartinez2

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Hello Friends,

Yesterday I tried something a little different. I saw a pretty inexpensive chuck roast at the store and was planning to slice it but then wondered "would a smoked pot roast taste good?" I'm sure its been done multiple times but mind you this was an original thought in my world. Here we go...

I decided to smoke the roast until it hit an IT of 160*. I simply used the Bit Boss competition blend (grey bag). I took a few sticks of celery and laid them on a resting rack. I then sliced some white onion and laid those over the celery with the Chuck going on top of that. I laid a few slices of onion on top of the roast.

In terms of seasoning, I generously covered the roast with Kosher salt the night before and let it dry brine in the fridge until it was time to throw it in the cooker. At the time of placing it over the veggies I did a lighter coating of pepper and garlic.

20190508_160008.jpg

20190508_160002.jpg

It hit the 160* mark at around 3.5 hours going 250*. When I pulled it here's where we were at.

IMG_20190508_191423.jpg
IMG_20190508_191419.jpg
IMG_20190508_191410.jpg
IMG_20190508_191406.jpg

At this point. I took a disposable baking pan and filled it with 32 oz of beef broth, 10 oz of red wine, and 32 oz of water. I had warmed this mixture on the stove in a pot for a bit as I feared throwing the roast into that much colder bath.

Now I have to apologize as I did not take any pictures of the roast in that bath. However I covered it up tightly with foil and back on the grill it went. I let it go for about an hour and at the hour mark I pulled it to add the veggies.

I'm not certain what all is supposed to go into a pot roast but heres what i went with. Corn, golden potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.

IMG_20190508_210034.jpg
20190508_224753.jpg

I let that go for about 2 hours and started checking tenderness at that point. I hit about 201* when I felt little resistance in the chuck throughout. At this point I pulled it and uncovered it to let it sit. I did so for about an hour.

20190508_224816.jpg

I removed it from the broth along with the veggies to help them cool as it was late and I wanted to be able to store it. I let it cool down after pulling it apart some, for about another hour then covered it tightly and in the fridge it went. The broth I also cooled off and stored in a separate container.

This will be dinner tonight.

20190508_233353.jpg
20190508_233400.jpg
20190508_233357.jpg

This was the first roast I've ever done and I thought it turned out well. The flavor was very good and the veggies came out perfect by not adding them from the start and waiting closer to the end of the cook to add them. I really liked the smoke flavor the meat was able to absorb. If I would have done something different I would have for sure done this on a day where I had more time as I finished so late everyone was in bed already.

Happy Grilling! Hope you enjoyed.

looks awesome, as to what goes with pot roast, anything you like, it looks like you covered everything. I think I would get out of bed for a plate of that.

Reactions: Rmartinez2
Nice looking meal and write-up. Good Job...

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Rmartinez2
Hello Friends,

Yesterday I tried something a little different. I saw a pretty inexpensive chuck roast at the store and was planning to slice it but then wondered "would a smoked pot roast taste good?" I'm sure its been done multiple times but mind you this was an original thought in my world. Here we go...

I decided to smoke the roast until it hit an IT of 160*. I simply used the Bit Boss competition blend (grey bag). I took a few sticks of celery and laid them on a resting rack. I then sliced some white onion and laid those over the celery with the Chuck going on top of that. I laid a few slices of onion on top of the roast.

In terms of seasoning, I generously covered the roast with Kosher salt the night before and let it dry brine in the fridge until it was time to throw it in the cooker. At the time of placing it over the veggies I did a lighter coating of pepper and garlic.

View attachment 395141
View attachment 395142

It hit the 160* mark at around 3.5 hours going 250*. When I pulled it here's where we were at.

View attachment 395143 View attachment 395144 View attachment 395145 View attachment 395146

At this point. I took a disposable baking pan and filled it with 32 oz of beef broth, 10 oz of red wine, and 32 oz of water. I had warmed this mixture on the stove in a pot for a bit as I feared throwing the roast into that much colder bath.

Now I have to apologize as I did not take any pictures of the roast in that bath. However I covered it up tightly with foil and back on the grill it went. I let it go for about an hour and at the hour mark I pulled it to add the veggies.

I'm not certain what all is supposed to go into a pot roast but heres what i went with. Corn, golden potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.

View attachment 395147 View attachment 395148

I let that go for about 2 hours and started checking tenderness at that point. I hit about 201* when I felt little resistance in the chuck throughout. At this point I pulled it and uncovered it to let it sit. I did so for about an hour.

View attachment 395149

I removed it from the broth along with the veggies to help them cool as it was late and I wanted to be able to store it. I let it cool down after pulling it apart some, for about another hour then covered it tightly and in the fridge it went. The broth I also cooled off and stored in a separate container.

View attachment 395150 View attachment 395151 View attachment 395152

This was the first roast I've ever done and I thought it turned out well. The flavor was very good and the veggies came out perfect by not adding them from the start and waiting closer to the end of the cook to add them. I really liked the smoke flavor the meat was able to absorb. If I would have done something different I would have for sure done this on a day where I had more time as I finished so late everyone was in bed already.

Hello Friends,

View attachment 395141
View attachment 395142

View attachment 395143 View attachment 395144 View attachment 395145 View attachment 395146

View attachment 395147 View attachment 395148

View attachment 395149

View attachment 395150 View attachment 395151 View attachment 395152

That turned out very well, I have tried this but twice it came out very dry. Your wet method at 160 degrees might be the trick. I have a pit boss classic, was using hickory blend set at 225, I also did a 6 hour wet paste brine, basil, garlic, EVOO salt and pepper, I added chicken broth to the left over paste and basted, turned and halfway through flipped meat over. Hitting 160 I wrapped with foil and some liquid. Hitting 200 let it sit for 2 hours and again the meat did not pull well and was very tough and dry. Smoke ring and flavor was there though. So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong and if the larger amount of liquid you are using is the trick? Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky