Smoked Chicken Enchilada Casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Been craving enchiladas lately so I decided to make enchilada casserole. Its super simple too make and you can change up the fillings depending on what you have or want. Instead of rolling them up you just lay the tortillas flat like you would like lasagna.

Here's what I put in ours this time:

1 28 ounce (or two small cans) enchilada sauce
18-24 corn tortillas
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can olives (if you buy pre-sliced use two of the small cans.)
1 small bag frozen corn
1 large package grated Mexican three cheese mix
1 bunch fresh spinach
1 onion chopped
1 small can of diced green chiles
2 pre-cooked chicken breasts shredded

To start you'll need to cook your chicken. Whole chickens have been on sale here lately so I spatched one and smoked it on the 14" WSM.
Since I only needed the breasts for the casserole I used the rest of the bird for lunches.

I seasoned the bird and let it rest in the fridge over night.

Into the smoker. Started at 285° pit temp, ended at 325°. Used Kingsford professional and cherry.

48260090066_ab5242fe28_c.jpg

48266269336_7ac6f92a06_c.jpg

48266269816_99088da11d_c.jpg

You'll need a 9x13 casserole dish, or whatever you like to use. It was hot so I decided to bake the casserole on the gas bbq. So I used our Pyrex dish, wife doesn't care if it gets cruddy.

1. In a large pan heat a table spoon of oil.
2. Add chopped onion and saute until onion turns translucent.
3. Add beans, corn, cooked chicken and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer.
4. Pour enough enchilada sauce to cover bottom of casserole.
5. Cover bottom of casserole with 6 tortillas. Over lap tortillas
6. Brush top of tortillas with enchilada sauce
7. Spoon 1/3 of the meat mixture onto tortillas spread evenly.
8. Sprinkle layer of cheese onto meat mixture
9. Add 1/3 of spinach, 1/3 sliced olives
10. Repeat steps 5-9 (brush booth sides of tortillas with enchilada sauce
11. Top final layer with tortillas. Brush bottom side of tortilla with enchilada sauce.
12. Add remaining olives on top, sprinkle remaining cheese
13. Put in 350° oven and cook until bubbly and hot thru. 25-30 minutes.

Allow to cool a bit before cutting into. Serve with salsa, sour cream, avocado.

48291931467_a01dedb5d6_c.jpg

48291902672_f64a19433c_c.jpg

48291801566_c44848c3a8_c.jpg

48291901412_5224baeffb_c.jpg

Looks awesome Case! Good to see you posting.

My wifes makes something like this, I’ll have to smoke a chicken for her.

They look so attractive! I love all dishes made from chicken, especially grilled dishes. added the menu for the weekend. Thanks for sharing
I'll try it on the electric smoker I recently bought today
Thanks again!

Add a Corona and I'm all in. Looks like a perfect comfort food. I'd add a little extra heat too. Wife and are both heat freaks, (to a degree).

Nice wouldn't work around my house though wife wouldn't eat it.
Hey great seeing you on here again been a while.

Warren

Bummer! My wife doesn't do pork so, she doesn't get to eat what I cook when i do Pork!

Moral is - cook it for yourself and enjoy! Freeze the leftovers ad enjoy more!

Add a Corona and I'm all in. Looks like a perfect comfort food. I'd add a little extra heat too. Wife and are both heat freaks, (to a degree).

Hell yeah that looks great! Nice cook

Looks awesome Case! Good to see you posting.

My wifes makes something like this, I’ll have to smoke a chicken for her.

They look so attractive! I love all dishes made from chicken, especially grilled dishes. added the menu for the weekend. Thanks for sharing
I'll try it on the electric smoker I recently bought today
Thanks again!

That looks pretty tasty, gonna have to give it a go.

Thank you.

This works well with whatever ya got or want. I prefer picadillo, but the wife wanted chicken so that's what I did. Depending on the enchilada sauce and green chiles you use it can have a kick. This one did as both were caliente!

Man that looks good . I like chicken enchiladas the best . My kind of meal .

BTW , using my 14 today , put the side light method to work . :emoji_thumbsup:

Case that looks damn good. Thank you for sharing.

Brian

I'm still full from dinner yet I'd take a heapin' helpin' of that right now. Looks like something I'm going to have to make while the wife's paw is on the mend. Thanks for the inspiration!

giphy.gif

Looks awesome dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 ! Gonna have to add this one to the short list!

How's the meater working for you now? I got mine finally a couple weeks back and after a couple small hiccups, it's been good. (minus constant connectivity issues with the probe to block...)

giphy.gif

Looks awesome dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 ! Gonna have to add this one to the short list!

How's the meater working for you now? I got mine finally a couple weeks back and after a couple small hiccups, it's been good. (minus constant connectivity issues with the probe to block...)

Since receiving the new unit it has worked great. I have found that the Block needs to be pretty close to the smoker to avoid disconnections. This weekend I'll be camping and plan on using it in bluetooth mode. We'll see how that goes.

That is an awesome looking casserole!!! Definite point for sure. And yep I will copy that one. Congrats on the carousel ride.

Since receiving the new unit it has worked great. I have found that the Block needs to be pretty close to the smoker to avoid disconnections. This weekend I'll be camping and plan on using it in bluetooth mode. We'll see how that goes.
Glad to hear it worked out. I had my base on the shelf of the smoker and got bombarded with disconnect alerts all day... at 1 foot distance. got an email in. Hope the Bluetooth test goes good for ya.

That casserole is still looking good too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky