Sloppy Joes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Wife made sloppy joes tonight, it's from a recipe out of a church recipe collection; collated by the Epsilon Omega Sunday School class from the Honeyville Baptist Church, Honeyville, NY aka the 60's/70's era, but just as good today as it was then! The recipe was submitted by Priscilla Dixon and is as follows:

1½ tsp. shortening
1 Onion
1 Pepper

Dice onion and pepper and brown in Shortening. Add:

1 lb. Hamburg
¼ cup catsup
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar (or Splenda®)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Simmer until thick (about 10 min.) and serve over hamburg rolls with coleslaw and a good spoonful on top!

Had 'em tonight and they were delicious!

Sounds great! When I was growing up sloppy Joe’s were a staple in my household. I absolutely love them to this day. I’ll have to give this recipe a try. Thank you

Reactions: Hawging It
This sounds like something im going to have to try. Before i met my wife i would eat sloppy joes often. I always just used manwich. Quick and simple. She doesnt like manwich (as well as anything pre made just because its "pre made" lol!) So maybe she will like this recipe and i can get back to eating sloppy joes!

sounds good pop's, got to like the older recipes simple ingredients, easy to make and tasty.

Sounds Great, Pops!!
We used to have Sloppy Joes a lot, but we're probably down to about once a month.

Bear

The addition of coleslaw seems brilliant. Going to have to try that next time we make sloppy joes.

I was another one of those folks that only had manwich Joe's for the longest.

The old lady introduced me to the ketchup/mustard/bs based Joe's. I've never looked back.

I'd try these though..same basic principles.

Always was a Manwich guys years ago. Wife doesn't care for. Thanks Pop's will definitely try this.

Manwich is ok, but simply does not compare to these types of recipes. I actually enjoy those types of sloppies with tortilla chips more than buns but you can't go wrong either way..evem works well with turkey burger 50/50 or straight up

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky