First attempt at lunchmeat - Dutch Loaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow for your first. Pretty brave making 5# for gifts.

3 3/4 tsp Pickling Salt (non-iodized table salt will work)
I know you got this recipe from others, but NEVER use non-iodized table salt.
It has sodium ferrocyanide (yellow prussiate of soda) added for anti caking.
Many people have negative reactions to this additive.

I made 10 lbs lol, figured it would at least be good enough for me to eat.

I actually used pink Himalayan salt.

That's a great job Jeff! So what was the recommendation on salt? Even though I've probably been told before... chopsaw chopsaw is a great help on things like this... I've done my share of questions for him as well.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
So what was the recommendation on salt?
The recipe as posted was low on salt in my opinion .
I base all my stuff on 18g salt to 2 1/2 pounds of grind . The original recipe was about half of that .
Since he wasn't using a binder the salt needed to be higher in my opinion .
I think we've talked about that , but that's where I start with all the sausage I make .
From there it's just measurements and increased volumes of what I like .

I base all my stuff on 18g salt to 2 1/2 pounds of grind . The original recipe was about half of that .
I think we've talked about that , but that's where I start with all the sausage I make .
Thanks Rich. I meant to go back and update the post. I think the salt level was perfect using this amount.

Reactions: chopsaw
Fresh loafs are the gateway to fresh sausage and smoke sausage....and that's the door to salami....it all builds upon the foundation from before.
Slippery slope haha , I doing more Dutch Loaf the week after Christmas and plan on German Bologna a week or two after that
Like they said. Where does the Sammy line start?
It's dran near over already lol. People loved it
Nice work jcam and glad this got featured! I saw it before it got featured but didn't have time to respond but is well earned!
Thanks! Nice to get in th bright lights!
Nice work , that looks awesome. Keep posting up your additions/ subtractions, it's got my interest for sure.
Will do. I did edit to cover salt and pepper used etc. After a second day in the frig I don't think I'll change the spice amounts. It's very good and all my circle of food consumers love it lol. I am considering a little binder and / or phosphates.
That's a nice haul of sandwich fixin's Jeff, looks fantastic! RAY
Thanks Ray. It's so darn good I've just been eating it without bread!
That looks great Jeff!
Thanks Brian!

jcam222 jcam222 One other thing . He list black or white pepper . Which one did you use ?
Updated the original post to detail th xsalt amount and white pepper

JC222, Excellent job on your loaves, I too will get in the sammie line !
Thanks so much ! It's dwindling fast hurry on over

Reactions: Winterrider
Those loaves look great Jeff and a great process.
Thanks for sharing your ideas and congrats on the ride!

Keith

Reactions: jcam222
Those loaves look great Jeff and a great process.
Thanks for sharing your ideas and congrats on the ride!

Keith
Thanks Keith. The last lbs is set aside for a appetizer tray this weekend. Going to be doing more next week.

Reactions: 912smoker
Wow! looks great and a vehicle for fermented hot sauces. I made something similar a decade ago before cure #1 and the recipe was salty. Looks like you bumped it up to 1.5% salt which is what I do for bacons. I'll give this a try and go straight to the 25% bump in seasonings you mentioned. Casing free sausage/lunch meat sounds good but I'll never get the gear to grind and stuff in casings. I do have the food slicer for dried beef and back bacon etc that this dutch loaf will be good for or just a knife being softer.

Reactions: jcam222
Wow! looks great and a vehicle for fermented hot sauces. I made something similar a decade ago before cure #1 and the recipe was salty. Looks like you bumped it up to 1.5% salt which is what I do for bacons. I'll give this a try and go straight to the 25% bump in seasonings you mentioned. Casing free sausage/lunch meat sounds good but I'll never get the gear to grind and stuff in casings. I do have the food slicer for dried beef and back bacon etc that this dutch loaf will be good for or just a knife being softer.
I've decided I likely won't change the spices. After two days it's darn near perfect. At least 4 people told me it was the best they ever had and want to buy it from me. I want to edit that out of the OP but it won't let me.

Last edited:
I've decided I likely won't change the spices. After two days it's darn near perfect. At least 4 people told me it was the best they ever had and want to buy it from me. I want to edit that out of the OP but it won't let me.
I saw that post on keeping the seasonings the same as the recipe. They just needed to bloom. Before cooking/smoking did it rest in the fridge 24 hours or how long for the cure to diffuse throughout ground meat? I have Qmatz (1/4" square holed mat) when Todd from Amazen Products still owned it before selling to Pitboss. I do garlic cloves, nuts and meatloaves on them and I'm thinking of rolling into bologna sized rolls after the cure has worked through the 5lb batch, then plastic wrap and tightly roll into big logs like a fattie to set up the shape in the fridge. They may flatten out on the bottom and I'm familiar with how well ground meats absorb smoke so not to over smoke a case free sausage/lunch meat. I have an Auber PID like many of us with an Mes 30 or 40 so this will be perfect starting at 120 ramping up to 165-170 until 152 IT. It's too simple not to try it.

I saw that post on keeping the seasonings the same as the recipe. They just needed to bloom. Before cooking/smoking did it rest in the fridge 24 hours or how long for the cure to diffuse throughout ground meat? I have Qmatz (1/4" square holed mat) when Todd from Amazen Products still owned it before selling to Pitboss. I do garlic cloves, nuts and meatloaves on them and I'm thinking of rolling into bologna sized rolls after the cure has worked through the 5lb batch, then plastic wrap and tightly roll into big logs like a fattie to set up the shape in the fridge. They may flatten out on the bottom and I'm familiar with how well ground meats absorb smoke so not to over smoke a case free sausage/lunch meat. I have an Auber PID like many of us with an Mes 30 or 40 so this will be perfect starting at 120 ramping up to 165-170 until 152 IT. It's too simple not to try it.
I let it rest about 12 hours prior to smoking. Taste was definitely best two days after the cook. I mean people went bananas for the stuff lol. I plan on doing 20 more lbs next week or week after.

• Love
Reactions: dr k
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky