Keto Sloppy Joes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Lately I’ve been making a lot of low key keto comfort food that I can warm up throughout the week for quick meals. Bonus if I can repurpose some of it to mix with noodles for our girl with cerebral palsy. She is a bit of a picky eater at the care facility but she LOVES darn near anything mixed with noodles. Starting out with 5 lbs of 80/20 ground beef.I swear it takes eons to thaw a 5 lbs chub lol.
2B88350C-D855-402C-BDC8-7B23F8C83CA1.jpeg
Adding in the seasoning. 2T dk chili powder, 2T Onion powder, 1T Garlic powder, 1T Salt, 1T medium grind black pepper. Added and browned / chopped until nice and crumbled. I swear that tool in pic was a life changer when I discovered it!
0052464D-3478-4ECB-BE75-D655E0260590.jpeg
D00B6047-A1D9-4D3C-8D14-6D37CE94F7F2.jpeg
Remove the meat leaving the fat. You can remove some if it’s excessive. Adding in 2 minced onion and 2 chopped bell pepper with 1T minced garlic.
8FAFE717-1943-45B4-8795-7E8B2BA29080.jpeg
Cooked until nice and tender.
3B1798C9-8167-4DD4-8121-3608E3634563.jpeg
Mix the beef back in
17F41A0B-2CE7-4711-9DD5-CC0717305C94.jpeg
Now add the sauce which is 3 cups crushed tomatoes, 5T tomato paste, 1 cup Brown Swerve, 1T each Dijon mustard,ACV and Worcestershire sauce.I simmered for a good 20 minutes on medium heat.
C6DCB085-572D-4D72-91F6-009D0F940719.jpeg
At the end add 1/2t of xanthan gum and storm in on low heat.This is optional but does help to keep that fat (flavor) from separating. Here it is in a big bowl and some I did for Amber with bow tie pasta , shredded cheddar and a sprinkle of fresh parsley and dill.
11BA2FCE-D7D0-453D-850B-053B97B156DE.jpeg
A790475C-8AA1-4646-A6C4-37668268B072.jpeg
She will love these. For me it will be in low carb wraps or on low carb bread open face with shredded sharp cheddar. Like I said nothing spectacular but it sure tastes great! Been a long time since I’ve had sloppy joes. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Scrolling though the pics and came to the peppers and onion pic...love the way the house smells when I sauté a batch like that. The sloppy joes looked great!

Have you tried the cauliflower noodles? I was really surprised that their taste/texture was pretty much spot on for egg noodles.

Reactions: TH-n-PA and jcam222
Looks mighty good. And I'd share a bowl with Ms Amber!! Actually never thought about doing sloppy joes on pasta!! Now you got me thinking that direction......

Jim

Reactions: jcam222
Scrolling though the pics and came to the peppers and onion pic...love the way the house smells when I sauté a batch like that. The sloppy joes looked great!

Have you tried the cauliflower noodles? I was really surprised that their taste/texture was pretty much spot on for egg noodles.
I have note, I use shirataki noodles fairly frequently though. I’ll be wolfing this on open face Aunt Millie’s low carb bread!

JC222, good looking dish of comfort food right there ! I looked at your utensil and couldn't figure out what my next toy was ? :)

Reactions: JLeonard
JC222, good looking dish of comfort food right there ! I looked at your utensil and couldn't figure out what my next toy was ? :)
I think the one I have is Pampered Chef but essentially this. I spent years trying to chop it up with a spatula o
72592709-0785-45F0-870A-CE8BFEF89F73.png
r wooden spoon. This thing was a game changer.

Now you have me thinking of how I am going to do a batch of this but incorporate more cheese and heat!

Thanks for the idea!
So my favorite way to eat this is open face on Aunt Millie’s low carb bread topped with some melted Muenster or cheddar and a splash of one of my hot sauces.

Reactions: TH-n-PA and chopsaw
Looks great Jeff. Now, I'm thinking about some sloppy Joe's. I haven't quite perfected the homemade variety yet. I'm looking gfor the Manwich bold style profile.

Perfect Jeff! I haven't had Sloppy Joes in quite some time and now you've solved the age old problem for...what to cook for supper tonight...

Reactions: jcam222
Looks mighty good. And I'd share a bowl with Ms Amber!! Actually never thought about doing sloppy joes on pasta!! Now you got me thinking that direction......

Jim
It’s amazing how many things will translate well over noodles or pasta of some kind. I do it often for her. Last batch I put fried cabbage and ham I made in egg noddles for her.
What's that you say? That looks fantastic my friend...seriously, but I am a Sloppy Joe junkie. I am to those what Tracy is to hamburgers :emoji_laughing: Gotta tell you though, the two trays you made for your daughter are stunning. She's gonna love those....and so would I :emoji_wink:

Robert
Robert I forgot just how much I love them! It’s been years. It won’t be more than a month or two before I make more.
Looks good. I’d take one of them dishes.
Thanks! Come on over
Man those look good Jeff! I love me some sloppy joe.
Man me too Brian! Thanks
Looks great Jeff .
Thanks Rich
Looks great, and that tool is the cats a**
Thanks! Man thst tool is a game changer for ground beef.
Looks mighty tasty!

Oh one of these is going in the shopping card!
Thanks! You sure won’t regret buying that tool.
Looks good jcam
Thanks!
Looks great Jeff. Now, I'm thinking about some sloppy Joe's. I haven't quite perfected the homemade variety yet. I'm looking gfor the Manwich bold style profile.
Thanks Steve. I’d say this one would need to up the tomato paste maybe 1.5 to approach a similar Manwich style. I’d likely also put in a little red pepper.
Perfect Jeff! I haven't had Sloppy Joes in quite some time and now you've solved the age old problem for...what to cook for supper tonight...
Thanks and enjoy! Can’t figure out why it’s been so long since I made them.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky