• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sloppy Joes

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Wife made sloppy joes tonight, it's from a recipe out of a church recipe collection; collated by the Epsilon Omega Sunday School class from the Honeyville Baptist Church, Honeyville, NY aka the 60's/70's era, but just as good today as it was then! The recipe was submitted by Priscilla Dixon and is as follows:

1½ tsp. shortening
1 Onion
1 Pepper

Dice onion and pepper and brown in Shortening. Add:

1 lb. Hamburg
¼ cup catsup
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar (or Splenda®)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Simmer until thick (about 10 min.) and serve over hamburg rolls with coleslaw and a good spoonful on top!

Had 'em tonight and they were delicious!

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Sounds great! When I was growing up sloppy Joe’s were a staple in my household. I absolutely love them to this day. I’ll have to give this recipe a try. Thank you

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 18, 2017
This sounds like something im going to have to try. Before i met my wife i would eat sloppy joes often. I always just used manwich. Quick and simple. She doesnt like manwich (as well as anything pre made just because its "pre made" lol!) So maybe she will like this recipe and i can get back to eating sloppy joes!

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I was sitting here debating what to fix for dinner tonight. Bingo! Sloppy Joes it is!

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
sounds good pop's, got to like the older recipes simple ingredients, easy to make and tasty.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Sounds Great, Pops!!
We used to have Sloppy Joes a lot, but we're probably down to about once a month.

Bear

Braz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 25, 2017
The addition of coleslaw seems brilliant. Going to have to try that next time we make sloppy joes.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 7, 2017
Simple recipe. And sounds delicious!

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
I was another one of those folks that only had manwich Joe's for the longest.

The old lady introduced me to the ketchup/mustard/bs based Joe's. I've never looked back.

I'd try these though..same basic principles.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Always was a Manwich guys years ago. Wife doesn't care for. Thanks Pop's will definitely try this.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
Manwich is ok, but simply does not compare to these types of recipes. I actually enjoy those types of sloppies with tortilla chips more than buns but you can't go wrong either way..evem works well with turkey burger 50/50 or straight up

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.