Skinless hot dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Did up some hot dogs using wiener sausage seasoning from sausage maker and the peel off plastic casings . To the 5 lb. mix I added 1 1/4 tsp STPP and 1/4 tsp sodium erythorbate . Used the SV to poach them .
All stuffed and tied . Stuffed a little different than I'm used to . Some could have been tighter .
20181129_102719.jpg
Into the SV 140 for 2 hours .
20181129_121544.jpg
When up to temp , I drained the water and dumped a bag of ice on top . When completely cooled I peeled the casings .
20181129_145544.jpg
Not real happy with the color , so had to try one to check the taste . Just crisped up in a pan on the stove . Much better .
20181129_145734.jpg
Taste is fantastic , and the texture / mouth feel is perfect .
20181129_151430.jpg
Thanks for lookin .

Hey chop.... morning... About the STPP... Did the 1 1/4 tsp measure out to a % by weight ?? How did you come up with the 1 1/4 tsp ??

How did you come up with the 1 1/4 tsp ??
Well , no I didn't do it by weight . I still need some help with the math there , and a better scale .
So here's what I do when I add it to sausage mix . I go to Len Poli's site and find 5 formulas that he adds phosphate to and take an idea from there . How's that for scientific ?
The amount I used is low for what I did there . I was also making Cotto salami from his site . That amount for 5 lbs was 1 1/4 tsp . So I used it again . My thought is if it comes out good with less that's better than to much .

Cool, thanks... Excellent Sherlock Holmes investigation... You can't go wrong using Len.. I havent't found any errors on his site.... Some members have used it for meat loaf.. I'd like to try that but didn't know how much to add, other than by weight.... I have checked my measuring spoons and the 2 sets I have, there is a 25% difference between the sets..
I have read STPP is only meant for meats that are cooked immediately (soon), not for meats you are throwinng in the freezer...
As far as the math goes....
0.3-0.5% is the target range... suggestions lean toward 0.3 & 0.4% because it can effect the taste of the meat...
So, 0.3% added would be... 2#'s meat = 2x454= 908 grams at 0.3% (0.003 x 908 = 2.7 grams STPP)
Also, I think bones should be taken into consideration.. eyeball the amount of bone weight and correct the meat weight from that...

American Weigh Scales 100G X 0.01G Digital Scale, With Seaside 100 G Stainless Steel Calibration Weight
by American Weigh Scales
Price: $13.87 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Man those dogs look mighty inviting.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Great job Chop! I did those same skinless peel casings with the frankfurter mix a while ago. I wasn't a fan of the casings. Looks like yours turned out all right though. Like!

Looks great. How do you check the IT on the SV? I plan on making mine this week, thinking smoke for a couple hours then SV to finish.

Looks great. How do you check the IT on the SV? I plan on making mine this week, thinking smoke for a couple hours then SV to finish.
Adam , go by the chart for size of casing and temp of water will give you time in the bath for safe to eat . I don't have it on this computer , when I get upstairs I'll post it . I know 25 mm casings at water temp of 140 , calls for 1 1/2 hours . I added a 1/2 hour to be safe . These are grilled / cooked before service so not as much worry as , say summer sausage .

Ok. I think I have the same casings as you. I plan on freezing abunch

Yup . I'm interested in the color difference with smoking first . Be watching .

CS, I was rereading your post as the idea of making some dogs with venison is intriguing. What is the ingredient STPP, is this in place of cure #1? Thanks !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky