Rudy's All Beef Hot Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
Had this recipe for a very long time and never got around to trying it. Found on http://lpoli.50webs.com/
Screenshot (17).png

Started out two days ago with the first and second grind plus adding the spices and cure.
Store bought 80/20 ground beef.
20240204_163437.jpg

Second grind through my smallest plate with the spices added.

20240204_170209.jpg

Into the fridge over night to let everyone get freindly

20240204_170531.jpg

Next day pulled out my Ninja food processer with the steal blade and emulsified with ice water. (3\4 lb of ground meat to 1\4 of ice water each time till its all done. Worked perfectly.
20240206_083105.jpg

20240206_083238.jpg

20240206_084251.jpg

20240206_084618.jpg

20240206_085137.jpg

Wanted to use sheep casings (20-22) but the ones I got from Amazon were garbage. Every 2 inches they blew out. Never again buying from Amazon.

20240206_090337.jpg

So plan 2 was to use one of two packages of 25MM X 84FT SHIRRED WEENIE-PAK CELLULOSE CASINGS that I have had for years. They worked out great but meant I had to remove the casings when finished pouching as they are not edible.

20240206_095222.jpg

20240206_112119.jpg

20240206_111209.jpg

20240206_113845.jpg

Got the water bath going, set at 138 F. Bathed for 1 hour.

20240206_114116.jpg

Out of the bath and into the bathtub with ice water and ice from outside to cool down fast LOL

20240206_132708.jpg

Bun in the CI pan to toast.

20240206_143546.jpg

20240206_143552.jpg

On the old propane grill for some grill marks and then back into the CI frying pan to finish.

20240206_143630.jpg

20240206_144759.jpg

Done deal:
Mustard, Relish, diced onion with bacon and blueberry hot sauce.
20240206_145134.jpg

20240206_145238.jpg

20240206_145912.jpg

While I was in between doing different things I also had a pot of beef bones and veggies going on the stove to make beef broth. Added some spices and ended up with 5 Mason jars of broth. Had it keeping warm in my slow cooker till I wa able to jar it.

20240206_123347.jpg

20240206_124751.jpg

20240206_125338.jpg

20240206_125510.jpg

Think its beer time.

20240206_145114.jpg

Everything looks great. Just one time swap the nutmeg for mace. To me that is a game changer in dogs. Nice work.

Looks great! I'm always cared off by the emulsifying part. I like the idea of doing small batches like that in a food processor.
Ya me too. I had a cheap food processer before and it lasted 3 minutes before it blew up the motor. This Ninja kicks butt big time.

Ya me too. I had a cheap food processer before and it lasted 3 minutes before it blew up the motor. This Ninja kicks butt big time.
I was the same. Burned up a Kitchen Aid food processor, then bought a Ninja, broke the base on it the third time I emulsified. So I then bought my Champion juicer, and problem solved. The others may work for 1Kg batches occasionally, but I do 5-7 Kg batches of bologna or dogs, so I got the juicer. About a pound a minute and it’s all done. No extra heat produced either.

Reactions: KBFlyer
So I then bought my Champion juicer
I could not find a new Champion anywhere so I bought an Omega a couple of years ago for my wife. I still don't know if Plastaket is still making juicers or not as there are no new ones available that I can find. Kind of strange that the juicer with the best reviews doesn't seem to be available.

Anyway, never considered using my juicer to emulsify meat. Do you know how I would do that with my Omega 8006?

Anyway, never considered using my juicer to emulsify meat. Do you know how I would do that with my Omega 8006?
I'm in the same boat, looking at getting the 8007. I read through the manuals for both last night, and they both mention being able to emulsify meat, and have a similar blank plate to do so.

Both are a low rpm masticating juicer, and the auger seems similar, so I don't see why it wouldn't. Hoping someone has used the Omega can chime in.

Lol I ordered one this morning but can still return it.

I've always been put off about buying a used juicer with yellowed plastic like most of the Champion juicers I've found. It just seems like there should be a more elegant solution that's not repurposing yet another thing to take up space. Why can't you hook up something to a sausage grinder? I've got a device with a 1/2 horsepower motor and I can't use it somehow, I need another one?

I've always been put off about buying a used juicer with yellowed plastic like most of the Champion juicers I've found. It just seems like there should be a more elegant solution that's not repurposing yet another thing to take up space. Why can't you hook up something to a sausage grinder? I've got a device with a 1/2 horsepower motor and I can't use it somehow, I need another one?
From what I've read, juicers don't generate much heat, it seems, and since I already have a decent one, I'll try it. I'm just not sure how to use my juicer to emulsify meat...

It's a great idea. I just wish there was a better way. I can't afford a bowl cutter. Even there you have to use ice to keep the meat cold. LEM makes a juicer attachment but it's not the masticating type I guess.

I could not find a new Champion anywhere so I bought an Omega a couple of years ago for my wife. I still don't know if Plastaket is still making juicers or not as there are no new ones available that I can find. Kind of strange that the juicer with the best reviews doesn't seem to be available.

Your juicer may work, but I’m not positive.
Couple things, one is the low RPM I think it’s about 80rpm, the Champion is around 1700rpm. The Omega is a slow press style juicer driven by an auger I think, the Champion has a cone with rows of metal teeth spinning inside a steel housing. While they both are technically called. Masticating juicers the Champion operates much differently. You can extrude pasta with the Omega, that wouldn’t be possible with the Champion. They are very much different machines.

I see all kinds of used ones on evilbay for a decent price but the shipping is the same cost as the machine. So for 175-260 pluss 250 shipping I think I will just take my chances with this Ninja food processer. Not like I do very much emulsifing meat.

They are very much different machines.
My mistake I thought they were closer, but apparently not. I shouldn't trust eBay for my info.

KBFlyer KBFlyer shipping is always the killer! Best I've found was one locally but they still wanted $400 for it.

Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke when I get my Omega in I'll test it out and post the results in a new thread as to not further derail this one.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Well I was very surprised to see on Len Poli's recipe that he used a food processer but he did explain how he used it. The ratio of meat to ice water was perfect in my opinion. The Ninja one I have has a two layer steal blade which seemed to make fast work of the ground beef. My old cheap one that burned up only had two blades and seemed to work pretty hard. Perhaps I didn't have the right ratio for that one. It was years ago so I don't really remember. For the 4.5 lbs of meat it was done in very short time and clean up was easy.

I did consider a few years ago getting a bowl cutter from China like Redzed from the other forum. The shipping was pretty steep also but in the end Redzed blew up after a couple of years and he had a really hard time finding bearings for it and someone who could work on it.
Glad I never bought one.

The one thing to be careful to watch when using a bladed machine like a food processor is the sharpness of the blades. If they aren’t really sharp they will whip air into the emulsion and your hotdogs will have a very spongy texture.

Reactions: KBFlyer
Anyone who might like to take a chance on a small one from China here is a link to one.
I know nothing about it other then you don't have to order 5 of them to buy it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky