Scrapple for @bearcarver

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Bearcarver Bearcarver

Well I always look at cook books when I am dragged to thrift stores or yard sales etc.
So I found this book from the 60's that has old recipes from very old books from around Nova Scotia
from the 1877 and up.

On one page I found this and instantly thought of Bear
Scrapple

DSC_5402.JPG DSC_5403.JPG

DSC_5401.JPG

I have never heard of this until I read one of Bears posts , and it says it is of Dutch origin

David

Love looking through old cookbooks and that one looks very interesting.

Yes I do also, this one is good , but a few really different items , but not as many as I was hoping for.
But a great book , and a few items I might be able to incorporate into smoked cooks

David

Reactions: TH-n-PA and tbern
Wow David, a really nice tribute to our good friend Bearcarver Bearcarver Very nice my friend. When I was a kid scrapple was a staple all over the area and I loved the stuff. Had not seen it for years then last Christmas I did an exchange with a forum member here and received two big blocks of it from xray xray WOW!! What a blast from the past. Those two blocks did not last long, let me tell you :emoji_laughing: Don't know if I have the wherewithal to make it myself but it's nice to have the recipe. I printed it and added to my "sausage" cookbook just in case....

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Yes as soon as I opened the page in the book I thought of John.

So I had to post this for him , thought he might get a kick out of it.
After all the Scrapple post he has posted .

Very nice of Joe xray xray to send you a couple bricks of this .
I have never had , but can see making this out of some of my liked ingredients, might happen this fall.

David

Last edited:
I have never had , but can see making this out of some of my liked ingredients, might happen this fall.
The stuff is REALLY good. Couple things to note though. When you slice it to fry, cut thick slices. The stuff is pretty soft and may want to fall apart if it's sliced too thin. Secondly, when frying it, make sure you get a nice brown crunchy finish to the outside. That crunchy texture is incredible with the soft, warm inside of the slices.

Robert

Thank You David!!
Being Born Pennsylvania Dutch, I was weaned on that stuff.
Pennsylvania Dutch:
Most PA Dutchmen originated in & around Germany, and a few came from other places, like the Netherlands, during the 17th & 18th Century.
Mrs Bear's Father was from Germany, and her Mother was Lithuanian.
Bear's Father was Dutch, and his Mother was from Germany.
A search gets you this: people originally of eastern Pennsylvania whose characteristic cultural traditions go back to the German migrations of the 18th century. 2 : a dialect of German spoken mainly in Amish communities especially in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana.
Here you can see where these "Dutch" people settled, which includes "Amish"
That biggest Red Blotch in the SouthEast Corner of PA includes Bear's Log Den.
images.jpeg

Scrapple, just like most other PA Dutch favorites came easy to me when we got married, because both of our families were already using pretty much the same cookbook. To Me Scrapple is like Candy, and good scrapple doesn't need anything on it, like ketchup, Maple Syrup, or Honey.
There are still a lot of people in this area who speak Pennsylvania Dutch, in fact Mrs Bear's father taught "PA Dutch" in a Night-school class at Quakertown High School for a few years. It seemed a lot of wives wanted to be able to communicate with their husbands in PA Dutch, or they wanted to know what was being said about them.:emoji_wink:

Bear

Last edited:
Cool cookbook! Old cookbooks like this are great for getting legit recipes devoid of famous author's opinion or favorite additions.

I need to pickup some scrapple. All over here just forget to grab it. I can already tell by looking at the recipe it will likely taste similar to braunschwiger/liverwurst.

BTW I bet an IP would REALLY speed up making some.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Being Born Pennsylvania Dutch, I was weaned on that stuff.

That is a great story Bear, Is great when you have some community and family history, and foods to boot also.

To Me Scrapple is like Candy, and good scrapple doesn't need anything on it,

I might just have to build a loaf of this , and give it a whril

David

The stuff is pretty soft and may want to fall apart if it's sliced too thin. Secondly, when frying it, make sure you get a nice brown crunchy finish to the outside. That crunchy texture is incredible with the soft, warm inside of the slices.

I kind of thought it might be where the recipe says to cut at about 1/2" thick, and you make the crunchy crust sound marvelous.

David

Cool cookbook! Old cookbooks like this are great for getting legit recipes devoid of famous author's opinion or favorite additions.

Thanks Sam for the like and the comments

Yes I love going through cook books and really the older ones . And ones done for town church cookbooks that you are getting recipes from the folks in that town or city and than put together . So you know they are putting in what they or their family really likes the most. And normally with their twist on them.

David

I kind of thought it might be where the recipe says to cut at about 1/2" thick, and you make the crunchy crust sound marvelous.

David

We just cut ours as thin as possible. It depends on the texture of the Scrapple. We usually end up at about 1/2" slices.
I've had all kinds of scrapple from a few store sources, and home made, including ones I helped with, and from small local butcher shops.
And the best we ever had is from "Hatfield Meats". We still buy theirs when we can, and when we slice it, we can get 8 slices out a 1 pound pack, which also fits easily in my Ninja. (2 rows of 4 slices)
When we can't find Hatfield, we get Habbersett, which is right up there with Hatfield. Both are better than any other store bought, and better than any home made Scrapple I've ever had.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky