Best place to get replacement thermostat for a Smokin' Tex 1400 at a good price?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice diving into building a PID controller!

A few (unrequested) tips that will help you have good success from the start:

1. Get a bigger box/enclosure vs smaller. Having extra room for your hands, wiring, components, etc. makes life soooooo much easier.
  2. Drilled holes (round) are your friend. The only thing that needs a square/rectangular hole is the PID controller itself. What about outlets/plugs you say.... see #3
  3. Cannibalize an outdoor rated extension cord for your male and female "outlet" plugs instead of trying to use those crappy plastic square outlet components that just melt down. Use relief glands to fasten them to your project box/enclosure and finally.... this means you drill holes instead of cutting squares/rectangles AND you eliminate cheap plastic outlets that will likely meltdown on you. I went through 4 outlets before switching to this route
    View attachment 685024

$7 on amazon for this cord:
    View attachment 685025

Here's the last one I built and to do it all over again I would get a bigger box AND I would go a different route for the yellow rectangle thermocouple connector. I would use a very small M8 sized relief gland and do the same as the power cord or use a round connector (though they cost a bit).
    View attachment 685026

4. Get a good switch that wont melt down on you!!! I went through at least 5 rocker switches claiming 20amp rating... cheap plastic trash. On this build I used a 40amp single pole marine breaker switch. It's rock solid, great price AND yep, round hole drilling for installation. You just have to buy some M3 screws separately to mount to the box:
    $14 and less with the 8% coupon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H947FZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
    View attachment 685027

5. If using a fuse and fuse holder than I found the Bussmann fuse holders were the only ones that didn't melt down on me. Again, round drilling of holes too :D
I hope this info helps you to avoid all the meltdown and lessons learned I've gone through in my few builds :D
Thanks for the great tips and helpful photos! I appreciate any help I can get. :) So do you exclusively use the REX C-100 PIDs? Where do you prefer to order them from? Are they basically the same quality whether you order them off AliExpress vs. Amazon?

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for the great tips and helpful photos! I appreciate any help I can get. :) So do you exclusively use the REX C-100 PIDs? Where do you prefer to order them from? Are they basically the same quality whether you order them off AliExpress vs. Amazon?

I like ordering them off of AliExpress better than Amazon. I got a locked controller from Amazon and could not make any parameter changes to it. I have gotten over 20 from AliExpress and have not gotten a bad one.

tallbm tallbm has got you well covered for a PID project. If you have any specific questions or parts needs, look me up. I have controllers, SSRs, thermocouples, project boxes and other various controller goodies. I only sell to board members so you won't find a storefront anywhere.

My $0.02

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Studly
I like ordering them off of AliExpress better than Amazon. I got a locked controller from Amazon and could not make any parameter changes to it. I have gotten over 20 from AliExpress and have not gotten a bad one.

tallbm tallbm has got you well covered for a PID project. If you have any specific questions or parts needs, look me up. I have controllers, SSRs, thermocouples, project boxes and other various controller goodies. I only sell to board members so you won't find a storefront anywhere.

My $0.02

Thanks much, you two have been a lot of help! Do you like to buy from a particular seller on AliExpress? You linked to one earlier in this thread, but then you didn't think it was quite the right product.

Thanks for the offers to sell a case or a build, JC. For now, I think I'll skip that since I want to learn to build them myself. But like you, I'm in the north country (Minnesota), so the very cold temps could be a problem in the winter. If you have time and wouldn't mind sharing more info on the resistive heater you use, and how to hook it up, that would be appreciated!

Here are what you would need to install a heater into your project box. Assuming box is metal.

Thermal switch:

Mouser785-3455RC01000220

Heater:

Mouser #: 72-RCH25S680R0JS06

In answer to your other question, I have used other controllers in the past but found the REX C-100 to be the easiest to obtain.

Here are what you would need to install a heater into your project box. Assuming box is metal.

Thermal switch:

Mouser785-3455RC01000220

Heater:

Mouser #: 72-RCH25S680R0JS06

In answer to your other question, I have used other controllers in the past but found the REX C-100 to be the easiest to obtain.

Thanks! Do you get the heater of AliExpress too?

Thanks much, you two have been a lot of help! Do you like to buy from a particular seller on AliExpress? You linked to one earlier in this thread, but then you didn't think it was quite the right product.
I don’t usually prefer one seller over another. I go largely based on price and function. You just have to know exactly what you are ordering.

Reactions: Studly
JC uses the Rex C-100 I used the Mypin TA4 on the last one I did. Another was a fancy HeaterMeater which is a way different beast lol.
If you go with the Mypin or the Rex models mentioned I think you will be fine. It's when you get some other rando ones that you might run into unexpected issues so go with what works for sure :D

Reactions: JC in GB and Studly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky