Old SS recipe I found

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
A week or so ago I was going through a box of books that used to be my fathers and I found one of the old ledgers from our family farm.

Inside the book was an old recipe for SS that said to “let the beer sour meat for 3 days”. The recipe looked pretty good, so I made a 5 pound batch.

It’s smoking now in my scrap wood smoker I’m using until I finish the main build I’m working on.

I’ll get some sliced shots later and if the recipe is solid, I’ll post it.

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpeg
    IMG_4838.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    348.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4865.jpeg
    IMG_4865.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Sounds like it might be a hit. I too am interested in a recipe. Never can have too many lol?
This one was FUN to decipher... Coffee cup of salt, corcander seeds, 100 pounds trim, etc... I tried to get it right, but I may have just invented a new one figuring it all out and then scaling down to a 5# batch. We shall see I guess...

WTH is a corcander seed? I went with coriander, I guess that was available in the 40s? No clue.

Looks like it’s gonna be good. Pretty sweet scrap wood smoker too
Thanks. The scrap wood smoker was made on a whim when I realized that I was about to need to smoke some sticks about 6 months ago.

I have an electric element in the bottom of it and control it with an Auber PID. It's been working great, but no way I could use it for anything more than jerky or sausages. I have a larger smoker in work, but need to decide the layout of the outdoor cooking area before I can finish it. This little critter has turned out some killer jerky, salmon, and sausages so far! I plan to "upgrade" it a bit and keep it in the lineup as I go along.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky