Fires , Too close for comfort

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Well this is what is going on here on Sunday, 1 of the 3 fires burning in Nova Scotia right now. As of 10 pm Sunday over a dozen homes in blaze and lots of woods. We are just on the border of the last evacuation call. We are in Middle Sackville
It was very windy and moving fast yesterday.
GaryHibbert GaryHibbert and I were talking last week or so about out his way, and I said we had one in the valley that was big. Well it is still burning . But this one is too close,

We are both home today just waiting and hoping not to receive the emergency alert to evacuate our home. But ready if we have to. We can't even go to the RV by the ocean to get away if we have to, as that is down that way on the other side of the red area

So far we are lucky, BUT many ( thousands ) have left their homes and some have lost everything

Fingers crossed

David and Mona

Just a couple pics from the CBC news line

1685366046577.png
1685366071350.png

1685366132661.png
1685366164370.png

That isn't good at all I hope and pray that it shifts or they get control of it. Maybe some very timely rain or a wind shift. It sucks that you have to worry about leaving and possibly loosing your home we get that once in awhile due to hurricanes but doesn't seem near as often as some of you are threatened by fire.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all! Stay safe and we pray they can get it under control.

Ryan

Stay safe.
Thank You
That isn't good at all I hope and pray that it shifts or they get control of it. Maybe some very timely rain or a wind shift. It sucks that you have to worry about leaving and possibly loosing your home we get that once in awhile due to hurricanes but doesn't seem near as often as some of you are threatened by fire.
Thank you Jerry, That is what we hope also, no rain expected until Friday
Hope everything turns out OK for you.
So do we.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all! Stay safe and we pray they can get it under control.

Ryan
Thank you Ryan, from the hurricane, ice storm and now this , fingers crossed

Thoughts and prayers for you guys, God bless, and stay safe.
Thank you Eric

Thank you everyone, we have the car all loaded and just waiting to see if we are told we must leave. Hard to find out were the fire is right now, meaning how close. But it is very windy and that is not helping all the people working to get this under control. Halifax /HRM has been put under a state of emergency.

Not good , hate not knowing.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Got my fingers crossed for ya Dave. Definitely smart to be ready if the call comes.
Thank you Matt
There have been 3 Alerts so far and each one getting closer. The next one if it happens would have to be us, as the line is only a mile from us. Just not sure where the actual fire is for our direction as of right now.
It's the waiting and not knowing that is hard.

David

Hoping for the best possible outcome for you and your family in this situation.

I know I would be a mess about now if this were in my back yard.

JC :emoji_cat:

Damn David. I just came online to PM you. Wasn't sure how far you were from the fires, or what your danger rating was. Well now I know. :emoji_frowning2: :emoji_frowning2:
Glad to hear you're all packed and ready to run if you have to--just make sure you keep close watch on the critters so they're handy if you have to go.
Believe me, I know what you guys are going through right now and I pray your outcome will be as good as ours was.
Any potential relief in sight?? Rain or a dramatic shift in wind direction??
Miss Linda and I send our prayers.
Just have one piece of advise. If they say evacuate, don't hesitate--haul a$$ immediately. "Things" can be replaced--lives can't.
Luck, my friend.
Gary

Thoughts and prayers my friend… that has to be a helpless feeling! Just remember as much as it may hurt… belongings are replaceable… people are not! Best of luck to you and yours!

Also, GaryHibbert GaryHibbert … thoughts and prayers your way as well… you all stay safe also buddy!

Wish there was something I could do to help you all!

Hoping for the best possible outcome for you and your family in this situation.

I know I would be a mess about now if this were in my back yard.

JC :emoji_cat:

Thanks JC , it is hard just waiting for the phone alerts to go off. But we are ready but not wanting for it to come to that

David

Reactions: JC in GB
Damn David. I just came online to PM you. Wasn't sure how far you were from the fires, or what your danger rating was. Well now I know. :emoji_frowning2: :emoji_frowning2:
Glad to hear you're all packed and ready to run if you have to--just make sure you keep close watch on the critters so they're handy if you have to go.
Believe me, I know what you guys are going through right now and I pray your outcome will be as good as ours was.
Any potential relief in sight?? Rain or a dramatic shift in wind direction??
Miss Linda and I send our prayers.
Just have one piece of advise. If they say evacuate, don't hesitate--haul a$$ immediately. "Things" can be replaced--lives can't.
Luck, my friend.
Gary

Yes Gary we are ready , would only take 5 minutes and we would be in car and driving. The girls ( dogs ) stick to Mona like glue as they are quite old and must know where she is at all times. So they are no problem to round up.

It is the waiting and not knowing when the alerts might go off that really sucks

No Rain in the forecast until Friday and winds shifting to " from the south " . But that means all new dry woods to burn, and could still blow this way because of where it is coming from,

Thank you for the prayers

David and Mona

Thoughts and prayers my friend… that has to be a helpless feeling! Just remember as much as it may hurt… belongings are replaceable… people are not! Best of luck to you and yours!

Also, GaryHibbert GaryHibbert … thoughts and prayers your way as well… you all stay safe also buddy!

Wish there was something I could do to help you all!

Thank you Justin, yes it is only about people and pets to stay safe, and get out as quick as you can.
Thanks for the prayers

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky