SAUSAGE CURING CABINET BUILD - JC in GB PART ONE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI

Well, I am finally nearing completion of my sausage curing cabinet build so I will start posting pictures.

Cabinet with door removed. Removed compressor, thermostat, and cooling coils.

Cooling will be achieved using a Black Cat DC PID controller and a 120 Watt thermoelectric cooling module.

Thermoelectric cooler will chill water that will be run through the radiator inside the cabinet. PWM controller will adjust fan speed on radiator fans.
Radiator fans will be running 100% of the time.

Heating will be achieved vis Black Cat AC PID controller running a 250 Watt PTC heater with an enclosed fan.

Humidity will be controlled using an Inkbird humidity controller which will run the humidifier and the purge fan.

Rust splotches will be cleaned when construction completed along with plugging and patching any holes.

01 cabinet.jpg

Side Vent hole for one way air valve for purge function.

02 Side vent.jpg

Top vent for one way air valve and purge fan

03 TOP VENT.jpg

Purge fan

04 TOP VENT.jpg

Heater, humidifier, and radiator in bottom of cabinet. Test fitting for best location.

06 LAYOUT_TEST.jpg

1/2" holes drilled in cabinet top for cooling water tubes. Perfect fit.

07 COOLING TUBES.jpg

Radiator mounted on 90 degree bracket that I picked up in Fleet Farm. Saved me the time to fabricate my own.

08 RADIATOR MOUNT.jpg

Radiator mounted

09 RADIATOR MOUNT 2.jpg

Cooling water tubes attached to radiator.

10 RADIATOR TUBES.jpg

Rails test fit into cabinet. Clearance issue with door. Will have to make a cut in the door shelving.

Rails still need to be drilled for hooks and be cleaned and polished.

11 RAILS 1.jpg

120 Watt cooling module

13 120W COOLER.jpg

Coming along nicely JC.

Few thoughts:
are you going to install some kind of a filter over the inlet and outlet air vent holes to keep out critters and bugs? Gnats love the smell of a curing/drying chamber....
Also, I recommend the catch pan for the cooling radiator drain to the hole in the floor of the refrigerator. I also recommend elevating your unit so you can run the drain line into a container. The chamber will condense a lot of water as the salamis dry. My full chamber with 20-25 kilos of product will produce almost 2 gallons of water during the drying time.

Reactions: JC in GB
Coming along nicely JC.

Few thoughts:
are you going to install some kind of a filter over the inlet and outlet air vent holes to keep out critters and bugs? Gnats love the smell of a curing/drying chamber....
Also, I recommend the catch pan for the cooling radiator drain to the hole in the floor of the refrigerator. I also recommend elevating your unit so you can run the drain line into a container. The chamber will condense a lot of water as the salamis dry. My full chamber with 20-25 kilos of product will produce almost 2 gallons of water during the drying time.

All good points. I planned on using an intake filter for the air. Don't want critters on my salami....

I will have to fashion a drip tray. I have an opening in the bottom of the cabinet that will work perfectly. I have space where the compressor used to be for a collection pan.

Thanks for your suggestions...

JC :emoji_cat:

I have the cooling system put together almost... I ran out of hose clamps and I may have to rethinkmy pump wiring.

Got my ink bird humidity controller.

Purge fan and power supply to the right.

20210111_171145~2.jpg
20210111_171153~2.jpg

Looking good/complicated so far...

Tell me guys.. what's the difference between this and a fermentation chamber ??

Fermenting chamber keeps a higher temp and humidity. Curing chamber is lower temps and humidity. Some people can do both in the same unit but not while already having meat drying in the drying chamber.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky