New Dry Curing Chamber Build...42cu.ft. stainless double door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Figuring costs...
Cooling system; for everything= $475 ($125 of that was the aluminum baffle plates and clips)
dH system; for everything= $300 ($30 of that was for the aluminum baffle plates; $50 for the PVC header)
Paint, painting supplies- $100
Caster Tray, Casters, welding, supplies = $260
Controllers =$70

Hardware, bolts, nuts, rivet nuts, foam, tape, misc. stuff = about $400...guessing, but I had to buy some tools and that is included in the cost... take out the tools and it is probably around $300. I bought some furniture dollies for $32 so I could get started before the caster tray was complete, but will use those in the future.

So all in, around $1600....take out the tools and call it $1500. Still a bargin for what I have and what I can do with it. If the price of aluminum and PVC (and everything else really) was normal, this project would have been $200 cheaper. I definitely got nickle and dimed to death....$5 bucks here....$10 bucks there...I know the cashiers at Lowe's on a first name basis now! LOL!! But I am happy.

Oh- included in that cost was replacement parts too. I have spares for just about everything, just incase something goes out I can change it quickly to have the chamber back up and operational without waiting.

Considering I was quoted $2,500-3,000 just to have a new compressor cooling system installed, the total cost for what I have is very reasonable.

Last edited:
For what you have created that is very reasonable and not only a great working system but a very nice looking unit you've done great work

Figuring costs...
Cooling system; for everything= $475 ($125 of that was the aluminum baffle plates and clips)
dH system; for everything= $300 ($30 of that was for the aluminum baffle plates; $50 for the PVC header)
Paint, painting supplies- $100
Caster Tray, Casters, welding, supplies = $260
Controllers =$70

Hardware, bolts, nuts, rivet nuts, foam, tape, misc. stuff = about $400...guessing, but I had to buy some tools and that is included in the cost... take out the tools and it is probably around $300. I bought some furniture dollies for $32 so I could get started before the caster tray was complete, but will use those in the future.

So all in, around $1600....take out the tools and call it $1500. Still a bargin for what I have and what I can do with it. If the price of aluminum and PVC (and everything else really) was normal, this project would have been $200 cheaper. I definitely got nickle and dimed to death....$5 bucks here....$10 bucks there...I know the cashiers at Lowe's on a first name basis now! LOL!! But I am happy.

Oh- included in that cost was replacement parts too. I have spares for just about everything, just incase something goes out I can change it quickly to have the chamber back up and operational without waiting.

Considering I was quoted $2,500-3,000 just to a install a new compressor cooling system installed, the total cost for what I have is very reasonable.

I am so glad this worked out for you. I am all for DIY and repurposing old appliances for cottage industry use. Not only does it save space in the landfills, it provides a special satisfaction that you built this and know it inside and out; literally. In most cases, you save a great deal of money over buying a commercial model and will be able to do your own upgrades and repairs.

What I find the most rewarding is the education I get in researching and then, through applied physics and frustration, bring the idea reality.

I am certain you must feel a great deal of satisfaction in making such a fine tuned instrument for your meat curing. What will be even better is the years of use and professional product you get out of that unit.

I am also happy that my knowledge and experience was helpful in the completion of your project.

I am looking forward to seeing how that unit performs for you going forward.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: indaswamp
I have ordered a timer relay to delay turning the dH fans on when the dH controller kicks the dH cycle on. With the dH refrigerator and duct work sitting idle, the duct work and refrigerator warm slightly above chamber temperature-even though the duct work is insulated. The timer will allow the fridge to cool down below chamber temp. to counteract dumping the warmer air into the chamber....should even out the temp. better.

Thanks JC in GB JC in GB for the recommendation.

Hilitand Delay Timer Switch, GRT8-A1 AC/DC 12V~240V Mini Power On Delay Time Relay DIN Rail Type

Reactions: JC in GB
I installed the GEYA timer relay today. It is set for a 2 minute delay for the fans to allow the dH refrigerator time to cool down first before pushing chamber air through it. It works great! dH is more responsive, and Temp. overshoot has been reduced from 0.5*F to 0.1*F...I like it!

Sounds like you've got that thing really dialed in awesome job

So the Chorizo Sticks have lost 15.44% weight after 3 days of intensive drying in my old chamber; 65%RH @47-52*F. The pH has stabilized @5.00. The Aw is low enough now that the lactic acid bacteria can't ferment sugars any more even at higher temps., so the moment I have been waiting for has arrived....first new salamis are transferred to the new chamber!

Right side (salami):
IMG_20220804_001117.jpg

Left side (salumi):
IMG_20220804_001129.jpg

One of the Chorizo sticks was a little long so I just hung it on the left side. I hung the guanciale low where the air flow will hit it to circulate white mold spores throughout the chamber.

I have the humidity set @78%RH. When it gets to 81%, the dH system kicks on. it takes 18 minutes to drop the RH% back down to 78%, then it takes 20 minutes for the salumi to put out enough moisture to raise the RH% back up to 81%RH.

Just the Chorizo sticks are putting out roughly 262 grams of water vapor per 24hours. My dH system in the new chamber is handling that nicely -plus all the moisture from my other pieces that are in advanced stages of drying.

• Love
I don't know that I will need a humidifier in this new chamber. The humidifier unit has not kicked on since initial cool down when I used the dH refrigerator for auxiliary cooling and it pulled the RH down to 19%. After set temp was reached, I rehumidified the air. I'll wait....but I may pull it and only use it for cool down from ambient. The salumi hanging is generating enough moisture to keep the RH% high. And when I open the door, 70*F; 60%RH air enters and the humidity spikes so that adds RH to the system as well.

Last edited:
Checking weights and doing some figuring....the little dH fridge pulled out 330-350grams of water vapor in the last 24 hour period. This is why I made small diameter salami first; the surface area to diameter ratio is large- meaning the water does not have far to travel to the surface so high evaporation rates. This would be the same as (35-40) 60-65mm salamis hanging in my new chamber...so this is a good test.

Looking at those pics I think you better get busy making lots more stuff to hang in that new unit. It still looks pretty empty :emoji_laughing:

Looking at those pics I think you better get busy making lots more stuff to hang in that new unit. It still looks pretty empty :emoji_laughing:
I plan on it...in time...
I am giving the dH unit a real world test to see how much water vapor it can handle. Then I will know how much I can load it up. I will have to do it smartly and not cram a bunch of new product in all at once and overwhelm the dH unit. The left side will be all whole cuts, the right side will be for salami. (40) 60-65mm salami would fill up the top shelf hanging space.

So...thinking about the airflow. I may get another Noctua PWM controller and set up two independent zones; left and right. The salami will need higher airflow generally than the salumi.

I also may have underestimated the resistance of the radiators to good airflow since I moved the fans. The chorizo stick casings are a tad sticky to the touch which indicates yeast...meaning moisture is not being removed fast enough. I have transferred them to the bottom rack where airflow is the highest. we'll see if that fixes the issue. They are already at 25% weight loss. Sticks dry fast.....

On the fans- be sure you buy static pressure fans and not airflow fans for the radiators.....

Yes that is what I was trying to say. I called it head pressure. Not sure if that is the same thing. If you don't have enough pressure, multiple fans in a bank will fight each other.

JC

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky