42.5cu.ft. Drying Chamber 1 Year Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks JC. Studying engineering, control systems are right in my wheelhouse. My weakness is the electrical systems set up and how to wire it up. I am having to read refreshers....and redo some stuff....but I am learning and getting better at it. Thanks for your help with components.

No worries. I am glad to help you with any electrical questions.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: indaswamp
And a big thank you JC in GB JC in GB !

One issue I had with the dH system is that I was not allowing the little dH fridge to cool down enough before introducing humid chamber air. And as you know, colder the air, the less moisture it can hold.
I now have a temp. controller with the probe run into the dH fridge (as a proxy for RH%) switching the dH fans and the solenoid valve on. I am pulling the temp. down to 7.2*C; 22.5~30%RH in the dH fridge before the cycle starts. The avg. over the cycle is 8.7*C; 61.3%RH. so when that 8.7*C air warms up to chamber temp. @12.7*C, the RH% drops down to 48%RH! That is the horse power I was hoping to achieve!

Most recent cycle data:

Screenshot_20230915-164657.png

IMG_20230915_164807.jpg

Humid chamber air enters the deHumidifier @81.2%RH; Return air is entering the chamber @43.9%RH...That is the horsepower I was looking to achieve!

Reactions: JC in GB
The time interval between dH cycles has changed after installing the solenoid valve. it was around every 2 hours, now it is around every 4 hours. The only thing hanging right now are the culatelli, and they are at around 44% weight loss and shelf stable so they don't put out much moisture at all...about 1-2 grams of water per day each.
So based off this, I definitely had bleed through from the dH fridge to the main drying chamber (venturi effect). I was on the fence as to whether I needed the valve. Glad I went ahead and got it. This will really help when I fill up the chamber with product.

Reactions: JC in GB
Today marked the end of accelerated drying phase on the fennel salami so transferred to the big drying chamber. I dropped the set point temp. for the start of dehumidification down to 3*C to accommodate the higher evaporation rates from the added product in the chamber. The temp does rise a little over the course of the cycle. Here are the averages plugged into the calculator..
IMG_20231010_161752.jpg

When that 6.4*C air returns to the chamber and warms up to 13*C, the RH% is 55%! So awesome! Mega horsepower for moisture removal. No way the evaporation rate will over power moisture removal from this system!

Right now, roughly 180-190grams of water being removed daily from the chamber with roughly 21Kg. of product; 12Kg. whole muscle salumi and 9kg. of salami.

All the optimization I did this summer paid off!!! I am happy!!!!!! So glad the system can maintain roughly 55%RH return humidity with 8-9X water evaporation compared to when I had just the Bresaola drying...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky