Planning the Build. -- Would love some input. 1952 (ish) Kelvinator build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lndshrk

Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Hi All,
Been a lurker for some time around these parts. Always enjoyed the posts of builds.
Happen stance this little gem fell into my lap and I have been recently contemplating a larger cabinet.

I looking at some of the larger commercial style smokers many of them do not have great electronics unless you spend north of 10K..
So I have decided to do this build. When I get started I will create a build thread to help share the journey. But I thought I would post this and gather some knowledge from the veterans whom have taken this journey.
My Current setup is a Bradly digital with the 900 watt upgrade and the basic PiD controller from Auber.

My Plan for this smoker is primarily 180 max temps for sausages and snack sticks. I do allot of game processing and have a great pellet smoker for hot smokes.
My goal is to be able to program the unit to monitor both meat and cabinet temp (Looking at Auber Instruments for my electronics)
I am planning to repurpose my Bradly smoke generator(s) some how. I am still contemplating a cold smoke box with pipe or just attaching the generator to the fridge. (leaning towards cold smoke box)
For heating I am looking at the Tempco 1550 watt finned strip heater (very similar to the 900 watt one I use in the Bradly) I am wondering if 1550 is enough for this size cabinet?
Door seals.... I could use input on door seals. When doing cured sausages I like to be able to raise the humidity towards the end to help finish that last mile of temp gain so good seal is important.
Exhaust. I have been looking at allot of youtube videos and builds on here. I have seen that the general consensus is to vent out the back or out the side. I am really curious as to why not out the top?
I am curious with the side or back vents if you get condensation build up on the roof of the smoker?
I am thinking for this build I will have a 3 - 4 inch exhaust somewhere. Still trying to determine that.

General questions
Should I plan to put a smoke distribution fan in the unit?
What is a good insulation to use if I decide to replace the insulation?
Any input on where to source Door seals from?

Thanks a bunch for any input. Looking forward to this build.

Steve

Attachments

• Fridge2.jpg
    Fridge2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Fridge.jpg
    Fridge.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 51
Been a while. Life threw me some delays but the build must go on.

Got all the old insulation cleaned out and all plastic removed.
Fitted the Bradley smoke generator and the tempco 1800 watt heating element installed.
I will be adding 2 fans from Auber instruments.

Anyone have any thoughts on exhaust locations?
I was thinking about dual exhaust one on each side. Thought being it will help keep the heat even.

I will be adding sheet metal to cover open areas and seal everything off.

Attachments

• 8978C11D-AEEE-40FC-A352-ACE2013176C2.jpeg
    8978C11D-AEEE-40FC-A352-ACE2013176C2.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 3677CC68-B3FE-4331-A458-0C57BD5ADD3E.jpeg
    3677CC68-B3FE-4331-A458-0C57BD5ADD3E.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 36
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky