PID Controller Tutorial and Build Information

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I must be doing something wrong then. I'll have to see if there is any tutorial for it on the forum.

So I'll just post it here:

I thought that when you are done with the tutorial, maybe a Staff member could split the thread into the two threads.
One for comments and questions and one for the Tutorial that could be locked or closed, or whatever they do to prevent writing to it, so it stays just the tutorial.
Just my 2 cents.

I must be doing something wrong then. I'll have to see if there is any tutorial for it on the forum.

I thought that when you are done with the tutorial, maybe a Staff member could split the thread into the two threads.
One for comments and questions and one for the Tutorial that could be locked or closed, or whatever they do to prevent writing to it, so it stays just the tutorial.
Just my 2 cents.

That is a good suggestion.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: 02ebz06

Just my 2 cents.
My favorite saltwater fishing forum Coastside Fishing Club does this, they keep the OG thread and all the posts. Then they move the tutorial to a stickie in a separate tutorial forum page, which makes it easier for everyone to find tutorials, it works out really nice.

Watching, I recently built a PID controlled heat treat oven (same as a smoker, only gets way hotter….. saved tons of money this is a great thread!

Reactions: JC in GB
When I first got into smoking with a 30 gallon UDS I made one of these and it worked great for long cooks when I had to ho to work or needed to be away from it longer than I should. Still have it for a rainy day.

Great writeup!

I made this modification to my Masterbuilt cabinet smoker. It really improved my smokes with consistent temperature. A fun and worthwhile project!

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 50
Got a link to a build thread on SMF?
I have, but it is in several threads. I built it in stages, first the wind skirt, then the smoke generator, then the convection fan and PID. It’s an abomination of a smoker. But, damn, if it doesn’t work!

IMG_1130.jpeg

Last edited:
Just added some more information and parts to the thread.

Let me know if there is anything else you might want to know or other parts that need sourcing.

Watching, I recently built a PID controlled heat treat oven (same as a smoker, only gets way hotter….. saved tons of money this is a great thread!

Yes, these controllers are really versatile for nearly any industrial process. With the proper controller and thermocouple, these can also be used for ceramic kilns.

When I click on the link for the aluminum enclosure it's very reasonable at 14.87 but the 47.26 shipping is over triple the cost of the enclosure.
What forms of payment do they accept??

• Wow
When I click on the link for the aluminum enclosure it's very reasonable at 14.87 but the 47.26 shipping is over triple the cost of the enclosure.
I use my debit card. Some people have had issues. I have never had problems.

I have enclosures for these available. All cut and ready for a controller. $30 plus shipping.

Attachments

• REXC100 enclosure 0.06.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Love
Reactions: forktender
Great thread JC. In the natural gas industry we used PID loops to control almost everything. Some examples of the process variables are pressure, temperature, flow, volume, engine speed, valve position, etc. Compressor Stations and Pipeline Interconnects were all controlled remotely with Bristol Babcock PLC's via SCADA system in Gas Control. It is incredible how far automation has come.

Great thread JC. In the natural gas industry we used PID loops to control almost everything. Some examples of the process variables are pressure, temperature, flow, volume, engine speed, valve position, etc. Compressor Stations and Pipeline Interconnects were all controlled remotely with Bristol Babcock PLC's via SCADA system in Gas Control. It is incredible how far automation has come.

My first dealings with PI loops were at Kohler Generator. I was on a team designing a true RMS voltage regulator for the Kohler gensets. I don't know if they are still using the design but it was really tight. < 1% drift -40 F to 125 F

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky