• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rmartinez2

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 13, 2019
Hey all, it's been a while but just stopping by to share an amazing dinner we had tonight. I found a great ribeye roast at my local grocery which was a shock because you usually don't find this with a fair amount of marbling. I felt this one was more than worthy and was on sale so it just made sense. This was a 3 bone ribeye roast that I fully intended to cut into steaks. To my surprise it already had the bones cut off which I planned on doing so little less work.

IMG_20191123_203615_MP.jpg
IMG_20191123_203640_MP.jpg
IMG_20191123_203756_MP.jpg

I went ahead and cut this into steaks, 1 was one 3 fingers thick, 2 were two fingers thick and 2 were 1 finger thick.

IMG_20191123_204543_MP.jpg

You can see the marbling here is pretty decent, again for a rib roast we just found packaged. The eye is a very good size but what most impressed me is the more than generous amount on the cap.

I always go fairly simple with steak using just kosher salt the night before and into the fridge overnight to dry brine. A couple hours before the cook I throw on some freshly ground pepper, and garlic powder. I grilled this in a cheap offset smoker I picked up for $100 from char griller but I mainly use it as a charcoal grill. I don't use the firebox, it's a pretty big chamber so I place my charcoal ok the right side closest to the firebox. I used Royal oak lump then used a mesquite log as we love mesquite grilled steaks. I placed the thicker steaks on the left side to cook indirectly. The steaks smoked for about 30 mins then I moved them directly over the coals to get a good crust and sear.

I didn't take pics of them on the grill and hardly had a chance to take any on the board as the fam was pretty hungry. Here's a pic of my plate. We sauted some mushrooms in garlic and butter, sauted some red bell pepper, and roasted some potatoes.

IMG_20191124_150246_MP.jpg

I'm not sure if the lighting did this sear justice but it was phenomenal. It was a sizzling crust with amazing flavor and the inside cooked perfectly med (our liking).
IMG_20191124_150642_MP.jpg
IMG_20191124_150638_MP.jpg

Hope you all had a good grilling and smoking Sunday!! Thanks for taking the time.

The marbling in that meat looked very good to me. I pick up rib roast on sale at the local Bookshires but they don't look anything like that. Those steaks look awesome. big LIKE!

Looks good. I do about the same...smoke with Mesquite for about an hour and then put a good quick sear on them. Great way to eat a nice steak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky