Ranger Birthday Wagyu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Our son-in-law is a Ranger and for his birthday, a special SRF Gold Wagyu Brisket is now on the smoker. Came in at 15.6#, trimmed to 11#. Going pure Texas here, 50/50 salt & cracked black pepper. Trimming and rub done last night. Early start this morning, on at 3:30am. Going fat cap down on a rack with a catch pan underneath and smoker set to 275º using hickory and a tray of mesquite. Wagyu tends to get done a bit faster but still running the plan based upon 60min/lb and a 2 hour rest. If done early, no problem it can rest longer :emoji_sunglasses:.
Should be a great day :emoji_fingers_crossed:

IMG_4692.jpg
IMG_4694.jpg

More to come.....

As in United States Army RANGER? If so you have one badass son-in-law, don't piss him off.:emoji_joy:

I guide some waterfowl hunts each year, and I took out 4 Army RANGERS a few years ago, they were CRAZY MOFO'S!!!!!!!

I had the best time listening to their stories, so much that I comp'd them 2 extra days when I found out that they were going to hunt a crappy piece of public land that was a 4 hr drive away.

Damn, post up the finishing shots of that bad boy brisket, I bet it is amazing.

Hell, I'd be happy to just get the fat off that brisket to use in my brisket/chuck burger.

I'll never get the chance to smoke a Wagyu, they are too rich for my blood.
Being retired is awesome, but not having the checks coming in like they used to, sucks balls.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Yes Sir, US Army! Can't begin to explain how special this guy is to all of us. There isn't a thing he wouldn't do for his family or us. It's a true pleasure to do something special just for him.

So far it hasn't been the usual walk in the park saturday morning smoke. The smoker have been giving me fits this morning. All of it seems to stem from the easterly wind blowing into the back vents. Pretty large internal temp swings. IT in 3 1/2 hours went from 41º to 150º but I've got the smoker turned 90 degrees now and the grate temp seem to be settling in. Hopefully no issue with the brisket. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Totally understand the retirement situation. I started mine back in 2013. It's still the best job I've ever had. Everybody should at least once get the opportunity to splurge a bit and smoke a wagyu brisket. IMO, it's worth the compromise of not going out to dinner a couple of times. Nothing goes to waste. Leftovers get vac packed & frozen. And, what a package of smoked brisket does to a chili recipe :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Photos and more to come....

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, I've had some issues with this morning with smoker temps but it looks now like I've got things settled in. Wind climbing in the back vents was the culprit. Interesting, the stall really hasn't taken place. Of course, running at 275º can help push through a stall. Still planning on wrapping in BP probably around the 178-180º mark.
IMG_8B2417EAE5E9-1.jpeg

Reactions: negolien
Nice gesture on your part, those guys are bad a$$… meaning awesome!! Please tell him “thank you” for his service from SE ID!

Reactions: negolien
Definitely not getting any stall. IT seems to be increasing approx 7º every hour. Still going to wrap to help maintain moisture

IMG_DFE3D45927D5-1.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Finally got to tender all over @13:45. Total Time 10h 15m avg'd 56 min/lb. Rested open on counter until IT dropped 7º then wrapped tightly in foil & placed in the cooler with towels. Dinner is in a couple of hours, photos then......

As with everybody else, I cannot wait to see the finished product.

It's a true pleasure to do something special just for him.

You sir are a man of very high moral fiber. Kudos to you!!

Yes Sir, US Army!

As Bear said, Go Army!! My father was an Army vet so I kinda grew up with the military mentality. A number of years ago I had a good friend join and very shortly there after got into the 101st Airborne. Holy cow!! What a bunch, as Dan noted above. It was a real kick hanging out with those guys, especially after a few beers :emoji_laughing: One thing for sure, you don't want to get on the wrong side of them.

Now I'm up from my nap, what time is dinner?

Cool Ray. I'll be there too hopefully and maybe we can get him to set 2 extra plates :emoji_laughing: That's a meal I'd love to sit down to.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky