Ranger Birthday Wagyu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gonna be a great Birthday Dinner and tell him thank you for his service

Reactions: schlotz
Well you pay close attention to details and it all seems to be coming together just the way you planned BUTT.... then you get distracted and that's all it takes. Bottom line, I pulled it 45 minutes too late. Now, the wagyu still showed its style, very juicy, flavor was excellent, but no question when slicing, it was starting to fall apart. While everybody chowed down and not much was left, I personally was quite disappointed after all the work I had put into making this.

IMG_4700.jpg

Final comments below....

Last edited:
From a former Bat Boy tell him thanks for his service.

My hearing is shot, left bicept torn up from a static line injury. Small price to pay. Worse thing to hear was "privates in the hallway" if we had down time and the NCOs got bored.

Cook looks good to me.

After sleeping on it and another review of my notes, I believe two things were right in front of me that were plainly missed. First, the bark was darker than usual. Notes reveal there was no stall, I kept waiting for one instead of wrapping around 10am when IT was 167º. It got wrapped at 178º. Secondly, probing at 12:45p (IT 200º) revealed all areas, except for one small spot, were very tender. I choose to concentrate on that one spot. Add in other activities and another hour passed, definitely too much. I should have pulled it no later than 1:00p instead of 1:45p.

The good news, everybody had a great meal and I was the only one left with disappointment. Still, the reason for taking good notes again shows it value. They now point to what can be done better next time. Always take good notes!

...peace & have a great rest of your weekend :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Matt, first and foremost tell your son-in-law Happy Birthday and thanks so much for his service. It's folks like him that protect our freedoms to do the things that many may take for granted and may assume come at no cost.

Second, that brisket may not have turned out exactly like you wanted, but it looks great to me. Nice work!!

The good news, everybody had a great meal and I was the only one left with disappointment. Still, the reason for taking good notes again shows it value. They now point to what can be done better next time. Always take good notes!
We are all our own worst critics. I, like your family think it was and absolute success.
You have the notes to correct your oversights in the future. Can't wait to see the next one!

That looks delicious! As a guest, I personally wouldn't care if it was falling apart. I bet the flavor was awesome!
But yeah, we all tend to criticize ourselves as the pitmaster when it doesn't come out perfect.

That looks delicious! As a guest, I personally wouldn't care if it was falling apart. I bet the flavor was awesome!
But yeah, we all tend to criticize ourselves as the pitmaster when it doesn't come out perfect.

Appreciate the kindness.

We are all our own worst critics. I, like your family think it was and absolute success.
You have the notes to correct your oversights in the future. Can't wait to see the next one!

Yup notes can be your friend. Stay tuned there always is a next... :emoji_wink:

We are always our hardest critic. It looks incredible, people seemed to enjoy it, and I bet the bday man had a great meal. Looks at the positives not the one negative.

BDay man went back for more. Big eater! Thanks for checking in!

Matt, first and foremost tell your son-in-law Happy Birthday and thanks so much for his service. It's folks like him that protect our freedoms to do the things that many may take for granted and may assume come at no cost.

Second, that brisket may not have turned out exactly like you wanted, but it looks great to me. Nice work!!

He's been duly informed! The things he's done are quite something. Thanks for the kind words!

That is still one hell of a nice cook. Don't knock yourself around too much. You did good in my book.

Thanks Steve!

Looks really good from here . Nice work for sure .

Appreciate that chopsaw chopsaw

From a former Bat Boy tell him thanks for his service.

My hearing is shot, left bicept torn up from a static line injury. Small price to pay. Worse thing to hear was "privates in the hallway" if we had down time and the NCOs got bored.

Cook looks good to me.

Did that! ...and thanks!

I know you were not happy with the outcome, but most of us are very critical of our own work. Although that being said, from here the brisket sure looks good. I will use your observations to help me with the SRF brisket I have. Nice work Buddy!
Al

I know it’s frustrating! It looks amazing and I’m sure anyone eating it never thought anything except, “This is delicious!” Great work, thank you for the notes!

It looks like a thing of beauty to me? I'd have to agree with Al, we all tend to be our own worst critics. I've never done a Wagyu brisket but what few Prime I've done have all cooked much faster than choice grade of which I've cooked dozens. I'd be so nervous cooking one of these! LOL

Great post and info.

I know you were not happy with the outcome, but most of us are very critical of our own work. Although that being said, from here the brisket sure looks good. I will use your observations to help me with the SRF brisket I have. Nice work Buddy!
Al
Thanks Al. My advise is to watch for the color you want if you’re wrapping. It will most likely get to tender before same size in choice or prime.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky