Smoked Eye of Round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Last week, I was in Lowes Foods and saw that they had CAB Prime Eye of Round on sale so I bought one not really knowing what I was going to do with it. So I asked the forum...

The consensus was to smoke it and make sandwiches so here we go...

Trimmed and seasoned with SPOG...
20230514_183203[1].jpg

On my Ok. Joe with some White Oak and a pan with unsalted beef broth underneath...
20230515_143200[1].jpg

Took about 2 hours at 250℉ or so to reach 125℉-130℉ I.T. Pulled and tented with foil to rest. I really had planned to take it to about 115℉ and then sear it over hot coals, but I let the I.T. get too high and I didn't want to overcook it.

While that was going on, I sliced some red potatoes and yellow onions thin on my mandolin. These were layered with some butter pats and course salt and cracked pepper. Covered tightly with foil and baked at 400℉ for about an hour. Then uncovered and turned up the heat to 475℉ for a few minutes until they start getting a little crispy around the edges...
20230515_180350[1].jpg

Time for the gravy. Sautéed some thin sliced onions in ¾ stick of unsalted butter with a good drizzle of EVOO added...
20230515_172427[1].jpg

Once they were soft, I added in about 4 TBSP of all purpose flour and stirred to combine and cook the flour, about 10 minutes. Then I added in the liquid from the pan in the smoker and stirred to combine it all. Next was ½ of a bottle of Cabernet. Stirred all to combine and allowed to reduce...
20230515_173603[1].jpg

Time for the mushrooms, LOTS of them...
20230515_174809[1].jpg

I added a palm full of course cracked pepper, maybe 2 TBSP, but no salt. This was allowed to cook down until the mushrooms are done and the gravy gets thick. Water or beef broth can be added if it gets too thick, but I caution against more wine because it will overpower the gravy. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Time to slice the roast. I don't have a slicer so by hand with a knife it is...
20230515_180825[1].jpg

20230515_181657[1].jpg

Served open face on toasted hard rolls with roasted Brussel sprouts, too. Time to eat...
20230515_183603[1].jpg

I could only eat one half, but it was really good and tender. The usual crowd was here and they all raved about how good it was and that I definitely need to do this again...

Oh my God Charles!! That looks incredible. Exactly my kind of down home comfort food to soothe the soul. Growing up...maybe I should say "when I was younger" because it's apparent that I'll never grow up, EOR was my mom's roast of choice to fee the family. I loved the stuff and could never get enough. What you've done here is next level my friend. I could swim in that gravy :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Fantastic Charles, I love open faced sammies, and that is a prime example of one.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Oh my God Charles!! That looks incredible. Exactly my kind of down home comfort food to soothe the soul. Growing up...maybe I should say "when I was younger" because it's apparent that I'll never grow up, EOR was my mom's roast of choice to fee the family. I loved the stuff and could never get enough. What you've done here is next level my friend. I could swim in that gravy :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Well thank you very much, Robert! By the way, we're all young at heart...:emoji_wink:

Fantastic Charles, I love open faced sammies, and that is a prime example of one.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I hadn't eaten much of anything so when I fixed my plate, I got too much. But it was good...

I've made jerky out of it, but I don't think I have ever cooked an Eye of Round like that.
That is AWESOME!!!
I appreciate your compliments very much. This was my first time doing it this way, but won't be the last...

Looks delicious from my screen. Very nice work on all of the meal.
The sandwich by itself would've been enough, but my wife always has to have something green. The potatoes and onions were sort of an afterthought. I had some potatoes that I need to use and we like the dish, so there's where that came from...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I've made jerky out of it, but I don't think I have ever cooked an Eye of Round like that.
That is AWESOME!!!
Man it’s awesome for hot beef like this and sliced thin for deli sandwiches. I just ran out and need to do more. I do a couple and then vacuum pack 1 lbs packs for the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky