Birthday Brisket For Tracy W/ A Surprise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yesterday was actually Tracy's birthday but due to the weather turning really nasty yesterday, we did this on Saturday when it was close to 90 degrees and just a really nice day. We are not materialistic people and both of us come from humble roots so when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, after just a moment of contemplation, she just asked me to cook a brisket for her. No problem baby!! Picked up a really small (12 1/2 pounds) whole packer. Cut the point down so it was much thinner on that end and much more consistent with the flat. The plan was to use the meat I cut off for another meal and I wanted to get this done in 8 hours or so. When I asked what else she wanted to go along with the brisket, I I got the weirdest response ever: baked beans and cornbread stuffing. Uh...ok darlin'. It's your birthday dinner.

Trimmed and prepped the brisket on Friday, wrapped in foil, and in the fridge overnight. Here it is Saturday morning just prior to going on the smoker. Seasoned with this insane rub mixture I put together a while back. This stuff is just nuts.
001.jpg

On the Hy Fyre at 7:30 Saturday morning.
002.jpg

Hard to see but got some nice TBS rolling with the storm clouds in the background. Running Jealous Devil lump hardwood and hickory at 250*.
003.jpg

Here we are at the 4 hour mark. Kind of a hazy pic but it's coming along nicely.
004.jpg

7 hours and 45 minutes it's probing tender. Time to wrap and go into the cooler for a nice rest.
005.jpg

SURPRISE!! Happy birthday baby. Is this what you'd call a "beefcake"? Each candle signifies almost 15 years :emoji_wink:
007.jpg

And her card along with a very minimalist dinner but everything she asked for.
009.jpg

Take a deep breath and.....
010.jpg

This is looking pretty good.
011.jpg

012.jpg

My first plate. Kinda spartan but it's all good.
013.jpg

And of course the mandatory close up shot.
014.jpg

Been crazy busy with a ton of stuff going on and not a whole lot of time to spend in the forum, but this was a fun meal for a really good cause and I felt it needed to be shared. Nothing special, but it was a nice tribute to Tracy. The brisket was perfect...tender, juicy, and a really subtle but undeniable smokiness. I've always made up a baste with several ingredients, one of which was bourbon. Well, this time I decided to use Marsala Wine in the baste instead of bourbon and it was outstanding!! We all loved it. The flavor was more of an undertone as opposed to "in your face" but man, it was good. That will be my go-to from now on. All in all, although very simple, it sure was good, and it was mom's first Texas style brisket. She's starting to understand why TX style Q is as popular as it is. I did not wrap until it was done and time to go into the cooler to rest and after the 4 hour mark, I mopped it every 45 to 60 minutes, then once more when it was wrapped to rest. Simple process but excellent results.

Oh well, all done now. Gonna go catch up on some reading in the forum. Thanks for hanging in there with me. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert

Yesterday was actually Tracy's birthday but due to the weather turning really nasty yesterday, we did this on Saturday when it was close to 90 degrees and just a really nice day. We are not materialistic people and both of us come from humble roots so when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, after just a moment of contemplation, she just asked me to cook a brisket for her. No problem baby!! Picked up a really small (12 1/2 pounds) whole packer. Cut the point down so it was much thinner on that end and much more consistent with the flat. The plan was to use the meat I cut off for another meal and I wanted to get this done in 8 hours or so. When I asked what else she wanted to go along with the brisket, I I got the weirdest response ever: baked beans and cornbread stuffing. Uh...ok darlin'. It's your birthday dinner.

Trimmed and prepped the brisket on Friday, wrapped in foil, and in the fridge overnight. Here it is Saturday morning just prior to going on the smoker. Seasoned with this insane rub mixture I put together a while back. This stuff is just nuts.
View attachment 679684

On the Hy Fyre at 7:30 Saturday morning.
View attachment 679685

Hard to see but got some nice TBS rolling with the storm clouds in the background. Running Jealous Devil lump hardwood and hickory at 250*.
View attachment 679686

Here we are at the 4 hour mark. Kind of a hazy pic but it's coming along nicely.
View attachment 679687

7 hours and 45 minutes it's probing tender. Time to wrap and go into the cooler for a nice rest.
View attachment 679688

SURPRISE!! Happy birthday baby. Is this what you'd call a "beefcake"? Each candle signifies almost 15 years :emoji_wink:
View attachment 679689

And her card along with a very minimalist dinner but everything she asked for.
View attachment 679690

Take a deep breath and.....
View attachment 679691

This is looking pretty good.
View attachment 679692
View attachment 679693

My first plate. Kinda spartan but it's all good.
View attachment 679694

And of course the mandatory close up shot.
View attachment 679695

Been crazy busy with a ton of stuff going on and not a whole lot of time to spend in the forum, but this was a fun meal for a really good cause and I felt it needed to be shared. Nothing special, but it was a nice tribute to Tracy. The brisket was perfect...tender, juicy, and a really subtle but undeniable smokiness. I've always made up a baste with several ingredients, one of which was bourbon. Well, this time I decided to use Marsala Wine in the baste instead of bourbon and it was outstanding!! We all loved it. The flavor was more of an undertone as opposed to "in your face" but man, it was good. That will be my go-to from now on. All in all, although very simple, it sure was good, and it was mom's first Texas style brisket. She's starting to understand why TX style Q is as popular as it is. I did not wrap until it was done and time to go into the cooler to rest and after the 4 hour mark, I mopped it every 45 to 60 minutes, then once more when it was wrapped to rest. Simple process but excellent results.

Oh well, all done now. Gonna go catch up on some reading in the forum. Thanks for hanging in there with me. Y'all take care and see everybody soon.

Robert
Great birthday gift. my wife is similar. It's been so long since we ate at a restaurant.

happy birthday to Ms Tracy. You did her right with exactly what she asked for. And who needs cake when the beefcake looks that darn good!

Jim

Good on ya Robert, for taking such good care of Tracy! What you call a "Spartan" plate looks like heaven to me! Very nicely done on the brisket...simple and easy is just the way we like 'em too!

And a very Happy, belated, Birthday to Tracy!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Ooo baby does that Brisket look good, Robert. Tracy had to have been very pleased. Hmm... mopping with a Marsala baste. Sounds very interesting!

Nice job Robert!
You did good!
Judy’s birthday is on Halloween, so I’ll be doing the cooking tomorrow!
The one thing she wants the most is my carrot cake!
Happy birthday Tracy!

First " Happy Birthday " to Tracy. And Love the Beef Cake , very cool.
( thank god the beefcake picture was not you in a speedo ) at our age nobody wants to see that , speaking about myself anyway lol

Great looking meal for sure, and a nice close up showing the good smoke ring.

David

Happy Birthday to the special lady!! What a fantastic way to celebrate Robert, you done good, my friend...

Nice job Robert!
You did good!
Judy’s birthday is on Halloween, so I’ll be doing the cooking tomorrow!
The one thing she wants the most is my carrot cake!
Happy birthday Tracy!
My Wife's birthday is on Halloween as well. My wife asked for grilled-seared prime steak. Isn't love wonderful.
Really enjoyed seeing the candles in the brisket. Happy birthday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky