Prime Rib for New Daughter-in-Law, or why I am mad at Bear :-)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
First chance to cook for the new daughter-in-law, so I decided to do it right and do prime rib.

Menu was:
Prime Rib (with smoke au jus or Chimi Churi as choices)
Roasted Corn
Roasted Brushel Sprouts
Smoked new Potatoes
And sweet corn muffins, which is why I am mad at bear, but more on that later ;-)

Prime rib was 7.25 pounds, my only option was choice they didn't have any prime, but it was still good, just not as much of a fat cap and marbling as I like for a prime rib.

I did olive oil and fresh garlic rub, followed by my SLPOG (SPOG with 1/2 the pepper from lemon pepper), then I made a butter paste of Rosemary, SLPOG, and fresh garlic, for the top and put in the fridge yesterday.
primerib.jpg

Today it went in the smoker at 225 until it hit 125. I had estimated 4 1/4 hours (35 min per pound), but it finished in just over 3. I had a pan of veggies on the rack below it, and at the 1 hour mark I added broth for au jus.

Pre-Sear
pr1.jpg

After resting for 10 minutes I seared it. Although I love how I can sear and smoke at the same time with my All-Star, one complaint is the "grill" isn't quite deep enough to sear a hunk this big. In the process of fitting it in, and moving it, I lost some crust. I have thought about buying a searzall, but after having some steaks seared with it, I am not so sure nice sear, but just not the right flavor.

Anyway, here ya go post sear.
pr2.jpg

And I am even going to give you a money shot mid-post!
pr3.jpg

And the Au Jus, I will vacuum seal and freeze little flavor packets for future use.
pr8.jpg

I will be kind and not show you what I had to do to those 3 steaks to make the family happy, all I can say in parts of the world a feller could get shot for less!

I, of course, seared the bones, which was "daddy's" treat.
pr4.jpg

The corn and brushel sprouts I cheated and did in the air fryer. I finally broke done and got one a few weeks ago after my buddy convinced me how good it is for wings. But we are loving it for corn on the cob, and have had good luck with squash and zucchini. Brushel sprouts, although pretty were not quite right, I will have to experiment a bit more.
pr5.jpg pr6.jpg
I tried smoking some "rainbow" new potatoes, but they needed another 30-45 minutes, they were a bit tough, but they are going to be good for breakfast with some primerib!

Anyhow, on to why I am made at Bear. He has a sweet cornbread recipe that if you haven't tried yet, do yourself a favor and give them a go. I decided to experiment a bit and did it in muffin pans, in the smoker. I could have let them go another 10-15 minutes to firm them up a bit more, and I forgot to account for them rising so I made a mess of the smoker and the pans. But let me tell you THOSE DAMN THINGS STOLE THE SHOW, EVEN FROM MY PRIME RIB! As my Mother-in-law ate her third one, she asked for the 5th time, "what do you call these things?". My prime rib was good, not spectacular, but those damn muffins everybody just wouldn't shut up about them :-)

And finally "daddy's plate" complete with Rib bone, some chimichurri. Note: you can see those "damn corn muffins" in the background :-)
pr7.jpg

I did a couple of boneless turkey breast to turn into lunch meat as part of this smoke, I will share pics and details tomorrow when I slice them.

Looks great. Please don't tell me they put ketchup on that prime rib.

Looks great. Please don't tell me they put ketchup on that prime rib.

After they had me sear theirs to a crisp, hell I would have had to put ketchup on it to eat it :-)

Wow, Pete!!
My Ears were Ringing!
I knew that Corn Bread was good, but it's hard to compete with a Prime Rib, and yours looks Outstanding!!
Nice Job, and Thanks for the Shout-Out!!
Like.

Bear

I knew that Corn Bread was good, but it's hard to compete with a Prime Rib, and yours looks Outstanding!!

Just following in your foot steps-by-step :-) I must say, you do prime rib so much that it is hard to decide which post to follow :-). When I am looking to try something new, your step-by-step list is one of my first stops.

I don't think I will do the butter paste cap again, a lot of work and didn't achieve what I had hoped it would.

That's a very good looking meal! I have made Bear's cornbread 2 or 3 times. The wife doesn't like cornbread so i get all of it!

Just following in your foot steps-by-step :-) I must say, you do prime rib so much that it is hard to decide which post to follow :-). When I am looking to try something new, your step-by-step list is one of my first stops.

I don't think I will do the butter paste cap again, a lot of work and didn't achieve what I had hoped it would.

Thanks Pete!!
I'm glad you're using them--That's what they're there for.
On any of my Step by Steps, if I have more than one, like the "Many" Prime Ribs, it's best to pick one of the newest editions, because they seem to always get better.

Bear

Looks killer!! I have started saving all my pan drippings and freezing too. Its liquid gold!

That's an amazing looking meal Pete. It was a lot of work i'm su but well worth it...for a couple of good reasons. First is just making a great meal to enjoy. Second is making a really good impression on the new DIL. you certainly knocked it out of the park!!

Completely awed,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky