PP Tamales ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have done these before so there is a great Q-View here somewhere. I just wanted to make you all jealous of my having to eat left overs yesterday!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pulled-pork-tamales-foamheart.176738/#post-1303476

IMG_9432.JPG

I am so glad I learned to do these, (well a little bit anyway). I always think of the children's nursery rhyme patty cake when making them....... roll 'em up and roll 'em up and throw 'em in the pan!

IMG_9437.JPG

Covered and steaming.

IMG_9434.JPG

A couple of hours later..... and Voila!

IMG_9440.JPG

Tamales!

IMG_9438.JPG

A little creole mustard, a cowboy cool longneck and I am a happy camper!

That looks great! Never thought of pulled pork tamales. My hat is off to you my man! :emoji_smile:

I've always liked Pork Tamales!
Given a choice, I'll pick Carnitas every time.
Or El Pastor, if I'm feeling the Salsa Music...

I've always liked Pork Tamales!
Given a choice, I'll pick Carnitas every time.
Or El Pastor, if I'm feeling the Salsa Music...

Actually I love a PP BBQ loaded baked potato best with left overs.

That looks great! Never thought of pulled pork tamales. My hat is off to you my man! :emoji_smile:

Thank you but others showed me! Its what we do, right?

Awesome Dude!!
Al

Thank you Al

I was just thinking of this the other night as a way to use pulled pork..I'll have to try it now!!

I always now smoke one mote butt than I want, just to insure I get some of the leftovers. Taters, pizza, tamales, etc. Thats after the BBQ sammies and I always eat more than I think possible of them.

Reactions: zwiller
I always now smoke one mote butt than I want, just to insure I get some of the leftovers. Taters, pizza, tamales, etc. Thats after the BBQ sammies and I always eat more than I think possible of them.

Same here. I always have a cache of smoked stuff. I always forget to vac seal in smaller bags for dinner sized portions tho. Weather is real crappy this time of year and it is AMAZINGLY COOL to throw frozen PP in crock and eat like its summer while it's 10F out and a foot of snow on the ground. We are TOTALLY addicted to smoke chuckie now. Just did some mexican style for tacos and I need to get more going.

On the tamale being dry, I used to buy ALOT of them from a mexican family and they were insanely good and far better than any restaurant. Pretty sure they used some creamed corn in the masa mix. Gave it perfect sweetness and moisture. When you cut it the masa/corn never broke apart. Also, just consulted my trusty Tex Mex book and they use corn meal not masa and plenty of sugar. I should just dive in try making them.

I've made Tamales my self before, give it a try Daveomak! Just be prepared to do alot of putzy work. When I made them frequently <Well alright, every few months> We'd actually do it assembly line style as it were..

Thank you Al

I try to do the same. Every pork butt I smoke, I mark half of it right away for saving as well. Keep about 8 pounds in the freezer at all times..!

I like.... never made tamales... Not a clue....

Dave its not that hard, its more about mastering the combination. Its just like rolling a cigarette. Then its about the little flavor mods. Then its about steaming length, too wet too dry. Its like everything else Dave, its just a new challenge that I'll never probably master, but love eating all the mistakes...LOL

One of my brother's friends bought the old Ivy's Tamales business after the flood of 2016. He now sells beef tamales to all the little stores and gas stations to serve to customers. He also processes deer and will make deer tamales. I've had them. They are good. But I imagine yours were delicious with that smoked meat foamy!!

Same here. I always have a cache of smoked stuff. I always forget to vac seal in smaller bags for dinner sized portions tho. Weather is real crappy this time of year and it is AMAZINGLY COOL to throw frozen PP in crock and eat like its summer while it's 10F out and a foot of snow on the ground. We are TOTALLY addicted to smoke chuckie now. Just did some mexican style for tacos and I need to get more going.

On the tamale being dry, I used to buy ALOT of them from a mexican family and they were insanely good and far better than any restaurant. Pretty sure they used some creamed corn in the masa mix. Gave it perfect sweetness and moisture. When you cut it the masa/corn never broke apart. Also, just consulted my trusty Tex Mex book and they use corn meal not masa and plenty of sugar. I should just dive in try making them.

See the things I brought back from watching the Mexican girls and ladies at the tamale parties was Lard, salt, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin and pork broth. Thats just for the masa. Then just either red or green (green being my preferred choice), sauce in the meat.

I've made Tamales my self before, give it a try Daveomak! Just be prepared to do alot of putzy work. When I made them frequently <Well alright, every few months> We'd actually do it assembly line style as it were..

I try to do the same. Every pork butt I smoke, I mark half of it right away for saving as well. Keep about 8 pounds in the freezer at all times..!

Its really amazing to see them done at a tamale party. You talking a space completely full of Grandmothers, mothers, daughters and grand daughters all doing tamales and talking. Its a social event like a quilting bee.

I too try to keep a small Cyo-pac of PP in the freezer. It beats the heck out of an emergency frozen Stouffer Lasagna. They make good lasagnas too...LOL

One of my brother's friends bought the old Ivy's Tamales business after the flood of 2016. He now sells beef tamales to all the little stores and gas stations to serve to customers. He also processes deer and will make deer tamales. I've had them. They are good. But I imagine yours were delicious with that smoked meat foamy!!

I really fell in love with 'em while living in W.Texas. A friend heard one day talking about liking 'em and brought me back a couple a dozen from Pecos. Mexican Lady ran a day care on one side of the building and a drive thru Mexican restaurant on the other. OMG her's were to die for. I even brought a couple a dozen home to my Mom when I was home visiting once.

BUT everyone in the SW laughed at my mustard with 'em....ROFLMAO!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky