Porkbutt on fathers day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
Hey guys,
I'm going to smoke a porkbutt this Sunday for Father's day. But after joining here and reading different things online I'm kind of conflicted. I had always thought you wrap the butt to keep it moist. But things I've read seem to contradict that. Thoughts and opinions on this would be great! I'm really wanting a nice bark. With wrapping it I never really get that. But I've never not wrapped one so dont know what to really expect

I am more into the flavor vs the bark, I normally don't wrap but it has it's uses. a hard bark detracts from the texture and flavor of the meat imo, I use very little sugar in my rubs due to being diabetic and have found that slows down the hard bark formation , everybody is different so really no 1 method is loved by all. hope it turns out like you want it to. I now have a 5 prong meat puller that I love, clamp it in the drill and in a few minutes its shredded very nice, its easy to build sandwiches and proportion it out evenly .

IMO I never wrap the butt and just let it eventually get through the stall and finish. If you really need to speed up the cooking time you can wrap it help speed up the stall. I also find that it tastes better the next day so maybe smoke it the day before so you do you are not busy working the smoker all day on Fathers day.

I am more into the flavor vs the bark, I normally don't wrap but it has it's uses. a hard bark detracts from the texture and flavor of the meat imo, I use very little sugar in my rubs due to being diabetic and have found that slows down the hard bark formation , everybody is different so really no 1 method is loved by all. hope it turns out like you want it to. I now have a 5 prong meat puller that I love, clamp it in the drill and in a few minutes its shredded very nice, its easy to build sandwiches and proportion it out evenly .
Thanks luckily I have a few days here to decide what direction to go

IMO I never wrap the butt and just let it eventually get through the stall and finish. If you really need to speed up the cooking time you can wrap it help speed up the stall. I also find that it tastes better the next day so maybe smoke it the day before so you do you are not busy working the smoker all day on Fathers day.
Unfortunately I won't be home the day before but that would've been nice to have been able to do. I just took my pit boss back to walmart last weekend and am going to try out the cuisinart woodcreek. I have it put together and this will be the first long smoke this coming weekend. If it wasn't the first long coom I would just start it around 9pm on Saturday night when I got home and let it go throughout the night. But don't feel comfortable doing that since I have no idea what to expect with this smoker

let it go throughout the night. But don't feel comfortable doing that since I have no idea what to expect with this smoker
Good call . Don't take a chance .
I don't wrap .
Salt and pepper the surface .
Been smoking at higher temps , 260 / 270 .
Chop up the crisp fat and add it to the pulled meat .
Add some rub to the sandwich .
Creamy coleslaw or pickles .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Good call . Don't take a chance .
I don't wrap .
Salt and pepper the surface .
Been smoking at higher temps , 260 / 270 .
Chop up the crisp fat and add it to the pulled meat .
Add some rub to the sandwich .
Creamy coleslaw or pickles .
Yea gotta have coleslaw. Whenever I smoke a butt the wife knows homemade coleslaw is a must lol

I like a good Bark on my Butts, but I don't like it real thick & hard.
Both of the Step by Steps (Below) came out Great.
They're done at different Smoker Temps, but Both were panned & foiled with foiling Juices @ about 165° IT.
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (230°--April 23, 2013)
Pulled Boston Pork Butt (265°--Oct 21, 2018)

Bear

I've never wrapped a butt, fact I only tried wrapping a rack of spares once a little while back and didn't care for the effect. I like smoke flavor and a good bark, the last few butts I've done when it was time to pull I used Chef Jimmy's Finishing Sauce, and will from now on, try it out if you like. RAY

If you are in a time crunch on fathers day wrapping might be necessary. Non wrapped will take you longer to push through the stall.

Another thing to consider...butcher paper. You get the effect of the foil but it lets the meat breath and doesn't kill your bark.

I've never wrapped a butt, fact I only tried wrapping a rack of spares once a little while back and didn't care for the effect. I like smoke flavor and a good bark, the last few butts I've done when it was time to pull I used Chef Jimmy's Finishing Sauce, and will from now on, try it out if you like. RAY

Did it have a strong vinegar taste? I'm not a big fan of anything vinegar

If you are in a time crunch on fathers day wrapping might be necessary. Non wrapped will take you longer to push through the stall.

Another thing to consider...butcher paper. You get the effect of the foil but it lets the meat breath and doesn't kill your bark.
Im going to give that a try. Ive seen tons of videos where guys use that in place of foil

Did it have a strong vinegar taste? I'm not a big fan of anything vinegar

I wouldn't say it has a strong vinegar taste, but if you aren't a fan I'd just skip it. I don't know what you are smoking on but if you can put a pan under the butt to catch what renders then add it back to the pull. RAY

I wouldn't say it has a strong vinegar taste, but if you aren't a fan I'd just skip it. I don't know what you are smoking on but if you can put a pan under the butt to catch what renders then add it back to the pull. RAY
Gonna be smoking on a cuisinart woodcreek I picked up last weekend. So I don't think there's anyway to get anything under it

Butts are about the most forgiving piece of meat you can smoke and you can get really good eats by leaving unwrapped or wrapping. You can do them hot & fast or low and slow or in between. It all comes down to personal preference and the time you have available. For anyone new to smoking I usually recommend the recipe in my sig below as a good starting point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky