Hatch Chilis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ebz, has it right, its sun & soil combo that does magic, I spent 6 months in Deming NW and was friends with a chili onion farmer there. To me its the depth of the flavor is just a thing with them. When the whole town has every corner with a chili roasting cart, its hard to not go nuts with hunger pains......

Oh, we got a shipment in our parts and we did these last Sunday...... cilantro lime rice, and smoked boneless comp thighs........OH MY YUM!!!!!
41E1F254-800E-48D9-86E0-5B78E8CF7CAF.jpeg

Pure chili MONEY
6252A197-4EAD-4C4C-9D11-0B33C7124C19.jpeg

After we skinned and decapitated them today, we gave them a good rinsing.
While rinsing the medium, no problem.
The fumes from hot on the other hand went into the sinuses and the sneezing/coughing started.

FWI, I’m seeing news reports of a lot of crop failures early this season due to high heat in the 110 range. They are getting blossoms end rot and just failures with the fruits. Some whole fields have been lost and others have 40-50% crop loss. Not everywhere but they are having a struggle keeping up with the demand. I expect prices to rise and shortages, so get them while they have them.

I hadn't heard about crop problems, just that the high heat caused them to ship to market earlier than usual.

Last edited:
Couple of Hatch Chile stories:
We were in a diner having lunch of Hatch Chile burritos and a table next to us had ordered the same thing. When their order came, the guy asked for some sour cream. The waitress told him that he was in New Mexico, not California and they didn't serve sour cream.

We were in a store selling chiles and they gave me a "chile 101" course starting with the mild going up to holey cow hot. Some dude came in and did the same taste test but he started with the hot ones. Turned a little white and said they weren't hot enough and left the store. Found him outside rubbing dirt on his tongue.

If ever near Hatch, hit a restaurant for some good tasting food.

I will be getting mine today. Taking a trip towards Dallas today. This is so nice getting them roasted and cleaned
Central Market in Southlake roasts them in front of the store (at least they did when I lived in TX).
You can get a bigger quantity at a better price.
Go early as they sell out fast.

Reactions: chilerelleno
One name to rule them all, Green Chiles.
Covers all the regional and varietal names.

Fresh is best, but fresh frozen are decent, in a pinch canned work too.
Canned green chiles are always in my pantry, mild and hot, minced, chopped and whole.

Mild to Hot
I've had them from Mild as in nothing but some flavor to Hot as in equal to a really hot Jalapeno or run of the mill Serrano.

I enjoy all chiles from the Mild to the Super Hots.
But Green chiles are just fantastic for all sorts of recipes.
You can see in the search results linked above, that I've thrown a few recipes out there.
#1 use is for a classic green chile sauce that goes great on so many things.
#2 use is whole or sliced as a topping or garnish for almost anything.

Tomorrow I will be putting green chiles in along with onion, bell pepper and garlic into my Pollo y arroz.
The rice will be a classic Arroz Amarillo with lots of veggies for color and flavor, with lightly grilled chicken thighs cooked atop the rice.

I lucky to have a store that roast them and cleans them. I still have a lot from last year in freezer. Put in anything that calls for green chiles. You got to watch out for the hot ones as they can be very hot. I will get mild and hot and mix them together. There are several posts here. chilerelleno chilerelleno has some good ones. I also dehydrate and grind for chile pepper. No need to roast if doing that. I will look through my recipes later but think John will chime in.
Does Market Street roast, scrape, and de-seed them?

Hatch Chile is a brand not a specific Chile per se. They are grown in the Hatch valley.
Variety includes:

Aneheim is a large meaty pepper that is mild.

Big Jim is a large meaty pepper that runs medium

Sandia is a slightly smaller pepper that runs hot.

These are just the basic offerings and there are a lot of other varieties available with different heat levels.
Im in Colorado where we have the Pueblo Chile and what we call “hot” aneheims these are very delicious as well but all of ours run medium for heat.

There are several cultivars of green chiles grown in the Hatch region. They are all called Hatch chiles. Green chiles grown elsewhere can be just as good but cannot be labeled as Hatch chiles.

According NMSU, "New Mexico State University (NMSU) has the longest-running continuous chile pepper breeding and genetics program in the world. The chile improvement program officially began ... in 1888 with Dr. Fabián García, NMSU’s first horticulturist."

When ripe, they turn red and are known simply as New Mexican chiles. In late summer you will see beautiful ristas of dried red chiles hanging almost everywhere. The dried chile pods can be crumbled up into most any dish, sometimes toasted beforehand. I prefer fresh red chiles over the green ones.

BTW, green chiles keep very well in the freezer. First roast in oven or grill, then freeze. When thawed, the skins will slip right off.

Looks good!
What is your process for getting them ready to freeze?
Nothing fancy.
First step was to get them home, cool them as best as can, and then into fridge overnight.

Next day skin and remove the heads. Keep them in a bowl of cold water with ice cubes.
Last day, still keep them in a bowl of water with ice cubes.
Chop and vacuum seal, and into the fridge. Had enough bags made up the day before.

We took 3 days because we are old. Haha

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky