Pork Shoulder, The Rub, The Mop, and The Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rakdos42

Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Hello friends! Been a while since I've posted.
I've been searching the forums for advice on pork shoulder. Mostly I've seen Honey Hog this, or apple mop that.
I'm a bit more of a concrete thinker when it comes to new cuts of meat and a recipe so I'm wondering if there is a sub forum with tagged recipes?
I have a 7lb pork shoulder that I'd either like to pull or cube(not sure if only pork butt can be cubed this way, I've posted precious success with sweet honey pork butt cubes)
I also want to finally try a Dr Pepper mopping, as it is my favorite soda and its always sound interesting to try instead of apple juice.
I'm guessing like most pork I need a cooking temp of 225 to 230, with an hour or so per pound of cooking time?
My biggest question is if anyone has a preferred rub or even marinade. I am planning to prep the shoulder tomorrow and then cook on Wednesday.
Thank you to everyone for reading this long list.

You are covering a lot of bases. I guess you can cube a pork butt but there are 15 or 20 muscle groups, and all of them have different characteristics. The Coppa roast which is the money muscle end is excellent for slicing., so that might work. The rest not so good. A current fad is pork burnt ends, but those are made from a pork belly.

Sweet mops work good for all pork roasts. I believe they stopped making Dublin Dr Pepper (with the cane sugar), but Mexican coke still has it. I use it for an injection, but mopping with any soda pop will work great.

I like low pit temps for butts too. A marinade is a surface thing at best and a butt is pretty thick. Injections work much better.

This is the money muscle end of a butt
5BCq3gF.jpg
And these are pork burnt ends
xgkqFBR.jpg

So perhaps I need to check myself and think more about pulling and sandwiches rather than cubes since it's not the right muscle group. Guess low and slow and finish dr pepper at the end?

Reactions: JC in GB
It sounds like you have the picnic part if the shoulder and not the butt? If that's the case I think I would stick with just pulling it for sandwiches . if you have a 7lb shoulder cooking at 225° and figuring 1hr per lb that would be 7 hours. In my experience thats not going to cut it. Even if your planing on wraping I would give yourself much more time than that. If its done early put it in a foil pan wrap it in towels and put in a cooler until your ready to eat. As far as a mop goes I dont have any tips for you. I don't mop, marinade ir inject shoulders or butts. But a lot of people do so some other may chime in ot that part.
Good luck! Be sure to share your end results with us!

So perhaps I need to check myself and think more about pulling and sandwiches rather than cubes since it's not the right muscle group. Guess low and slow and finish dr pepper at the end?

I guess my comment about muscle groups wasn't implying right or wrong, just some are better suited for slicing, some have better tenderness and some are even lighter in color after cooking. Here is a visual of those groups
VCND3PS.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky