Pork Neck Bones

Discussion in 'Nose to Tail' started by tropics, May 19, 2015.

1. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Seen these the other day first time ever,so a 5 lb. box went home with me.

$5.99 not bad

Thawed them out over night 

Used Jeffs Rub for these

Got some Royal Oak Charcoal going

Temp held nice at 225* to 240* I treated these like ribs 

3 hrs. them foiled for 2 hrs.

Nice color real tender and tasty

Mommas Happy now.

Thanks for looking

2. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Smoked neck bones, mustard greens, pinto beans and cornbread. Thats Sunday dinner when the preacher is commin! And oh course some Chow-chow, green onions and a sliced ripe tomato!! Makes ya not mind too much wearin those Sunday clothes to eat.

You maybe from NJ, but I think there is some southern redneck in your wood pile.

Sure looks good!

3. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Love it,great plate.Ggreat cooking[​IMG]

I sometimes brine bones like that with my bacon.They then become part of pork & bean type dishes& soups.

If I could buy it at that price I would be loading up the smoker every week.[​IMG]

From time to time I make versions of cassoulet & always have a smoked pork bone in with the beans.

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man that looks great. I need to keep a eye out for them

5. grabber

grabber Smoke Blower

Try them as a base for soup stock.  Simmer them, add veggies, then remove meat to add in the soup.  Excellent.

6. tropics

Thanks for the kind words guys.I enjoyed eating them,I used only a little BBQ sauce when I brought them in.

7. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

wow...another cost effective piece of pig.....however, once smokers figure out they're great & start buying them all up prices will skyrocket...much like chicken wings. Since they got the nod of approval I also will keep an eye out for them, especially at the restaurant supply. I have used them in the past though....put them in a simmering stock pot full of homemade pasta sauce....great flavor...thx for the heads up.....Willie

8. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Same here. The neck bones I can get here don't have very much meat but they make a great soup stock that will turn to gelatin in the fridge. Combine that with pinto beans in a crockpot, plus whatever meat can be pulled from the bones ... wait, where's the cornbread?

One strange thing - there's no pork stock in the grocery stores here. Chicken, beef, turkey, OK, but never pork. ??

9. tropics

The misses took the meat out of what we did not eat yesterday.Plan is to smoke them a little and add to baked beans.

10. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

That looks great! I don't think I can get the wife and kids to eat it but if be all over that...

11. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dont tell them what it is.

12. moikel

Old school Ragu would often have a meaty fresh pork bone thrown in with the beef back in the day.
    They also make a good pasta sauce on their own,I have a recipe somewhere it had Marsala in it.

13. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Those look awesome!!  I use those all the time to make gravy with plum tomatoes, sausage, meatballs, bracciole, and what ever other meats I have lying around when I am in the mood for a hearty pasta dish.   Never thought to smoke them but I can imagine they would be awesome.  Great looking meal!

14. Seen these in my corner of Virginia just this week...maybe on to something!

Teddy

15. grabber

grabber Smoke Blower

If you have a weak stomach, don't read further.  My Father used it for Czarnina, Duck blood soup, as a stock.  Much cheaper than Duck and that's how I got introduced to it.  Here in Buffalo, I go on Thursday morning and a butcher has piles of them, fresh cut, never frozen.  Have to agree for their use in tomato sauces.  It's sad that people have lost the concept of using the animal, nose to tail.  Lot of good eats between the prime cuts.

16. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I am not sure if the concept is lost, or is the fact that what was less than desirable cut a while ago (and priced accordingly) costs now as much as premium cuts do.

In the last 2-3 years turkey necks went up from $.99/lb to $2.99/lb at my supermarket. I can buy leg for less than that.

17. sota d

sota d Smoking Fanatic

Wow that looks great! I see them now and then,but I don't think they have that much meat on them here. I'll definitely give them a closer look next time I see them. Thanks for posting, David.

18. tropics

Thanks guys being 1st time for me to see them,Smoke was the way to go,I can see making some nice pasta sauce or a ragu the meat has a nice taste.

19. bkleinsmid

bkleinsmid Smoking Fanatic

This will get ya........Cash & Carry.........neck bones $1.34 lb........10 lb bag.

B~

20. moikel

That's the style I ate in Italian houses,sauce on the pasta for starter,then the meat as the main with greens & potato. Bit of a lucky dip as to what you pulled out of the pot but it would be a cheaper cut. It's real cookery ,little old nonna's in my 'hood cranking it out every day.