Memorial Weekend Bodacious Bones: Pork Ribs (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Decided last weekend it was time to get the Hy-Fyre going and smoke some pork ribs. Although beef ribs have taken first place among our favorites, we do still love some well cooked pork ribs. Had Rick and Susan come over for a basic backyard BBQ. They brought slaw and I made some tater salad as well as the ribs.

The rack of ribs. A decent sized rack and pretty consistent thickness / width.
001.jpg

Seasoned up with a nice dose of my pork rub.
002.jpg

Smoker is dialed in at 250 so on go the ribs.
003.jpg

Got some nice TBS going with charcoal and hickory. First time in 3 weeks there are no storm clouds in the background.
004.jpg

At the 2 hour mark.
005.jpg

Got a couple rolls of this in an order from CPB last week at the recommendation of Joe. We were blown away at how good this stuff is. Simply outstanding!!
006.jpg

Sliced up for an appetizer plate.
007.jpg

4 hours in and still not sure if I am going to wrap these. Decided to glaze them though.
009.jpg

5 hours and the coals are dying from the charcoal and wood. Not worth firing up more so glazed again, wrapped, and will finish them with just the propane burner.
010.jpg

Dropped the temp back for the last hour so as not to turn the ribs to mush. So easy dialing this thing in exactly where I want it.
011.jpg

Ribs all done, a short rest, and ready to slice. I am happy with the way these look for the first pork ribs on the new smoker.
012.jpg

Sliced and cut like butter.....and a nice smoke ring!! I think I finally got that monkey off my back :emoji_laughing:
013.jpg

A little closer....of course.
014.jpg

The whole spread. About as simple as it gets. Ribs, slaw, tater salad, and pickles a la SmokinAl SmokinAl
015.jpg

Some of everything on the plate and out to the patio,
016.jpg

Close up again. The smoke ring on these goes clear to the bone....literally.
017.jpg

First pork ribs in a long time but man oh man were they good!! I used a Carolina sauce that I got from pit 4 brains pit 4 brains in our Christmas exchange as the base for the glaze. That stuff is outstanding. About the best sauce we've ever had, and y'all know we aren't really sauce people. That's saying a lot for this stuff. The ribs were very well cooked with just a little pull but a clean, easy bite through. Flavor of the charcoal and hickory was off the charts. Enough to know you're eating BBQ but not overpowering in the least. Most of the folks said these were my best pork ribs to date but I think that just came from the fact that we'd not had them for a while. Still though, those are nice words to hear, especially knowing people are enjoying the meal.

Gonna call this one a wrap. So gmc2003 gmc2003 does posting this preclude me from entering it in the rib TD? :emoji_laughing: I think you should let me enter these so everybody has something to laugh at while they are looking at real entries :emoji_wink: BTW, let's get those entries in.

Robert

gmc2003 gmc2003 does posting this preclude me from entering it in the rib TD? :emoji_laughing: I think you should let me enter these so everybody has something to laugh at while they are looking at real entries :emoji_wink: BTW, let's get those entries in.

Well let's see. Section 23.9, rule 11, paragraph 4 reads "Throw-down committee members are strictly forbidden from entering any current and future throw-downs until which time they obtain the verbal majority consent of the SMF staff, and the signed notarized release of rights by three quarters of it's active membership over the last five years."

So I guess technically you can if you can fulfill the above stated requirements. However, I would have to immediately disqualify you for posting your entry to the open forum, and I'd have to disqualify myself from judging the throw-down. Not to mention I don't see the code word Ribs on any of your pictures, and submissions are to be limited to one picture, and a couple of sentences. So you sir fail on all accounts. :emoji_laughing:

Now onto those ribs. Man they look delicious. Truly an epic dish all the way around. :emoji_wink:

Point for sure
Chris

1685737030009.png

Robert you Racked ( pun intended ) up another fine cook/smoke there my friend

Everything looks great love the look of the ribs and the glaze.
Glad your not allowed to enter the TD, :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Absolutely marvelous Robert! The ribs and side all around….. I’m digging that clear plate as well!!!!

Those look excellent Robert I'm sure they tasted awesome.

Nice job on the ribs Robert!
The whole meal looks awesome!
I sure would be proud to build a smoker like yours that performs so well!
Nicely done!
Al

Great looking ribs. And love that plate of goodness. Not a lot of competing flavors so the ribs shine through.

Jim

Ribs look great Robert! That new smoker is going you right. That salami looks awesome too.

However, I would have to immediately disqualify you for posting your entry to the open forum, and I'd have to disqualify myself from judging the throw-down.
Wow...maybe I should have read the rules :emoji_laughing: A lesson to be learned here :emoji_wink:
Not to mention I don't see the code word Ribs on any of your pictures
Picky, picky, picky. So what's one little oversight...other than the fact that it's a requirement for entering.
and submissions are to be limited to one picture, and a couple of sentences. So you sir fail on all accounts
Wow. Story of my life. Guess I stepped on my tallywhackwer this time. Ouch!! Now Judge Judy is going to mete out more punishment.

Outside of all the humorous dialog, thanks for the kind words Chris. Been a long journey getting that baby working to perfection, but I think I got it.

Robert

Perfect ribs Robert. Very nice work.
The kind words are appreciated Eric, as was all the help you provided helping me to get there. Was a long but interesting, entertaining, and informative journey.

Robert

Robert you Racked ( pun intended ) up another fine cook/smoke there my friend
Thanks buddy and I appreciate the pun. Mom raised me to be a lover of a good play on words so I grew up with puns as part of our daily dialog.
Everything looks great love the look of the ribs and the glaze.
Very much appreciate it. We aren't into thick, sticky, sweet sauces so a glaze is nice for adding moisture and flavor without taking over the profile.
Glad your not allowed to enter the TD
I beg to differ. I should be allowed to enter so everybody has something to laugh at while looking through viable entries. Still waiting to get your entry though :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Absolutely marvelous Robert! The ribs and side all around
Thanks buddy. I was really happy with these. Some darned good ribs with basic but perfect side dishes.
I’m digging that clear plate as well!!!!
Tracy's finest china. Our best friends deserve more better than just a paper plate :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky