Post Oak St Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I haven't smoked ribs in quite a while and I wanted to test some of last fall's post oak so I bought a slab of Natural St. Louis style ribs and smoked them for 5-hours and they came out mighty tasty!!!

SPOG and this is after in the smoker for a little bit.
IMG_1617.JPG

Nice thin blue smoke from that 12% moisture post oak.
IMG_1618.JPG

A little ways along taking on some color.
IMG_1619.JPG

A nice extra treat that I love - smoked Johnsonville hot Italian sausages - man these are good and they were cooked perfect. Smoking them really kicks up the hot pepper heat! I could eat all 5 of these easy!
IMG_1620.JPG

Nice even temps across the smoker (man it is dusty here in Texas the smoker needs a bath!).
IMG_1621.JPG

And here are the ribs finished - passed the bend test perfect - moist, falling apart (backyard ribs not competition ribs), and taste great!
IMG_1624.JPG

Post oak smoked St Louis ribs by RS.

I haven't smoked ribs in quite a while and I wanted to test some of last fall's post oak so I bought a slab of Natural St. Louis style ribs and smoked them for 5-hours and they came out mighty tasty!!!

SPOG and this is after in the smoker for a little bit.
View attachment 659818

Nice thin blue smoke from that 12% moisture post oak.
View attachment 659819

A little ways along taking on some color.
View attachment 659821

A nice extra treat that I love - smoked Johnsonville hot Italian sausages - man these are good and they were cooked perfect. Smoking them really kicks up the hot pepper heat! I could eat all 5 of these easy!
View attachment 659820

Nice even temps across the smoker (man it is dusty here in Texas the smoker needs a bath!).
View attachment 659823

And here are the ribs finished - passed the bend test perfect - moist, falling apart (backyard ribs not competition ribs), and taste great!
View attachment 659824
Post oak smoked St Louis ribs by RS.
One of my favorites. Those look perfect sir....dusty pit and all!!

Yep those are the good guys. A few years ago, 'enhanced pork' was everywhere and my Albertson's stopped selling natural pork. The label was branded something like "Moist and Tender" or "Tender and Juicy", but the fine print listed 15% or so of additives. It had a longer shelf life, and you could over cook the high-on-the-hog cuts and they would be okay.

I'm fine with brining, but I want my brine... not 15% of water weight that I pay for at the store. It was totally customer driven, but Albertson's decided to switch back to natural pork.

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky