Pork Belly Burnt Ends with Dr Pepper Huckleberry Glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
Been seeing PBBE's on here and decided to make some for a men's Christmas party.

Started with a 5 lbs Pork Belly (skin off) that I found for $1.88/lb. I cubed them a little smaller than most I've seen because I wanted them to go farther at the party. About 1"x1".
20181214 (1).jpg

Seasoned with a little BBQ rub and tossed em up to coat every side. Arranged the little nuggets on the MES30 and lit my AMZNPTS with Applewood pellets.
20181214 (2).jpg

Smoked 'em at 250°-275° for 3 hours, until the color was where I wanted them.
20181214 (4).jpg

Removed them and arranged them in an aluminum pan. I then covered them with a stick of butter, a couple of handfuls of brown sugar, and a good squirt of honey. Wrap 'em tight with foil and back in the heat.
20181214 (5).jpg

After 1 hour and 15 minutes in the braising liquid, I removed them from the liquid and put them in another aluminum pan. I then drizzled them with a Dr Pepper Huckleberry glaze. The glaze consisted of my 10-2-4 BBQ Sauce, more Dr Pepper, and Huckleberry Jam. (I canned the jam this summer after a great huckleberry harvest).
20181214 (3).jpg
I didn't really measure anything out for the glaze, but this will get you a nice glaze if you're making your own:
1 c. BBQ sauce
1/4 c. Dr. Pepper
1/4 c. Huckleberry Jam
Combine everything in a pan and heat on medium to med-low until everything is blended and smooth. Pour over your burnt ends and give 'em a toss to coat everything.

15 minutes back in the heat uncovered and they glazed up really well.
20181214 (6).jpg 20181214 (7).jpg

I think this is how you know you nailed it.
20181214 (8).jpg

Last edited:
I like how you cook Preacher Man!
"until the color was where I wanted them"
"I then covered them with a stick of butter, a couple of handfuls of brown sugar, and a good squirt of honey."
"The glaze consisted of my 10-2-4 BBQ Sauce, more Dr Pepper, and Huckleberry Jam."

Excellent! Big Like on this!

When I went shopping for Pork Bellies the first time, somebody had sliced all the bellies into strips, and packaged them. No good for bacon.
The Real butcher was appologetic about the pork bellies being butchered that way.
He got me some bellies for maken bacon in a couple of days.
But now I can see how those hack bellies can be used.
Do they need cured? Or just go for them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Preacher Man
Those are / were some very appetizing morsels of goodness!!! I like the glaze as well. Nice job. LIKE...

Those BEs look mighty tasty. I can see why they disappeared. Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Good looking pork belly burnt ends

Always like seeing burnt end pictures on this forum. They make me want to smoke up a batch every time.

Alright Preacher Man!
In the smoker is my "Burnt Ends".
After butchering, I combined them with some Chef Merito Chicken seasoning, some SPOG shook from my SPOG shaker, and a good sprinkling of my Sonny's Secret Seasoning. (My infamous BBQ rub mix)
4.26 Pound slab of Pork Belly sliced down, and cut up. Maybe 3-4 ounces of trim. Not much, just the ugliest stringy stuff.
Filled 3 matted racks of my MES 30. Apple Dust in the Mailbox send out the flavor.
I couldn't tell you how much of anything, and don't care. It was eye and nose. If it looked good, if it smelled good, it hasta be good.
No Dr. Pepper here. And no wild Huckleberry Jam. So I'm going to wing that.
Got some home canned Blackberry Jam, and Blackberry syrup. Might cut that a smidgen with some wild cherry Pepsi.
And I always keep stocked up on my Clover Honey.

The hearth is glowin, the Smokers Smoke is lazily rollin, And I'll be goin, now.
Got beans to do, and Jerky ready to pack, Christmas is comin, I ain't got time to slack.
But I stopped for a Breather, and for a Brew, and thought I'd drop you a line, or two.
Thanks for the inspiration, Merry Christmas, and a very Happy New Year!

20181223_141045.jpg 20181223_141038.jpg

Last edited:
And POOF! The Burnt ends vanished at the Christmas Eve Family and Friends Party.
No Dr. Pepper or Hucklebery jam. Just some Sweet Baby Ray's and a generous squeeze of Clover Honey.
I'm gaining taste buds of smoked delights around here.
Thanks to All I'm learning from SMF.com!

I'm turning into a regular Suzy Homemaker... :confused::eek:

Thanks for the help and inspirations Preacher Man!

Reactions: Preacher Man
And POOF! The Burnt ends vanished at the Christmas Eve Family and Friends Party.
I have no doubt that they did! And just like that you showed everyone what a little time, patience, smoke, and inspiration can do for a party.

Too bad you didn't save me at least one. I'll guess I'll have to make more myself...

Going in for the Glazing run...
BBQ sauced, Brown Sugared, and Honey'd. Tossed to coat.
Didn't use the Black Berry stuff this time.
I warmed and served in a smaller crock pot. The DIL had 3 servings! She has never done that before!

You are welcome to print this picture and taste it. But when I've tried that I think it changes the flavor.....

Burbt Endz.jpg

I never take enough pictures....

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky