Pizza Build w/ Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm sure it'll get moved to the appropriate place in time Made a very simple dough;
2&1/2 cups AP flour
I tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup water
2Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp yeast
Standard stuff, heat the water to 110º dump in the yeast, 10 minutes later dump in everything else, stir it around a bit, everything goes for a 5-6 minute ride in the stand mixer. Form into a ball, place in oiled bowl, let rise for a couple of hours, dump out onto floured board and roll out to the size of the pizza stone. I like to cut parchment paper the size of the stone and let the dough rest on that for a hour or so, the pizza stone can heat up in the oven during the build
DSCN1728.JPG

I like to dimple the dough with my fingertips so the sauce has some little pockets to sit in, takes about a half a jar
DSCN1729.JPG

Time for a nice layer of mozzarella cheese, then a little salami
DSCN1730.JPG

next up some of my Italian sausage that was browned in a pan earlier
DSCN1731.JPG

Fill in a few spots with some pepperoni
DSCN1732.JPG

Add some chopped onion and bell pepper
DSCN1733.JPG

And finally, freshen cocktail, sprinkle on a bit of parmesan cheese
DSCN1734.JPG

Oven preheated to 425º, using a peel slide the pizza onto the stone, set the timer for 18 minutes, this comes out
DSCN1735.JPG

Take the old world pizza cutter and slice into eight pieces
DSCN1736.JPG

Plate up a couple of slices, goes very well with beer or red wine
DSCN1737.JPG

This isn't the kind of pizza you're going to eat with your fingers, requires a knife and fork. Overall it's pretty darned easy to pull off and tastes far better for half the money than something some kid could deliver to your doorstep, and you don't have to be concerned with who may have touched it. Thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Last edited:
Denny and Dan, thanks for the comments and likes, I appreciate them. Took me darned near as long to write that post as it did to make the pizza! I have to shrink all the pictures down to 15% before I post them. RAY

Pizza looks awesome, and I like how that cocktail seems to grow as time goes on, and then eventually gets a friend :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: sawhorseray
Nice work Ray . Making me hungry .
I'm mixing up some dough today to use next week . In the fridge 4 or more days makes a huge difference .

Dang now I want pizza Thanks! Lol I would like to make something like this and cook on a pellet grill which I don't own one... yet! I've heard pizza on the pellet grills are great!

Chris, daveomak daveomak , jcam222 jcam222 , smokerjim smokerjim , JJS JJS , O ozzz , Sowsage Sowsage , TNJAKE TNJAKE , D.W. D.W. , bill ace 350 bill ace 350 , ososmokeshack ososmokeshack , thank you all for the kind comments and Likes, they are truly appreciated.

Awesome looking pizza there Ray! Makes me want to make one today! Al

Go for it Al! I was wanting a pizza for a couple of weeks but didn't want to spend the yeast I had in the pantry until I got more delivered. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray, that is my kinda Pizza, thick crust with lots of meat! BIG LIKE! John

I can feel the love John, I'm a thick crust guy too! Every now and then I'll make a pizza dough with my burger bun recipe for super thick crust after a second rise. I usually do that when making a 5-meat pizza with a nice load of Canadian bacon, which I'm all out of and won't have fridge space to cure a batch for months. Thanks for the Like pal, mucho appreciendo! RAY

Last edited:
Nice work Ray . Making me hungry .
I'm mixing up some dough today to use next week . In the fridge 4 or more days makes a huge difference .

What effect does keeping the dough in the fridge a few days have, and how long before it has to get used? Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it.

Dang now I want pizza Thanks! Lol I would like to make something like this and cook on a pellet grill which I don't own one... yet! I've heard pizza on the pellet grills are great!

I don't own one either but I've seen some done on a grill that look to be pretty darned good. I've thought of doing one on my Weber kettle but don't know if charcoal flavor would lend itself well to the dough. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky