Pickin’ n smokin……

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Was thinking of posting something but decided against it but since Brian did... Me on the left. I would guess 94 or 95 maybe. Just talking to my buddy about these days. None of that gear was reissue... My guitar is a 75 LP Custom. That Strat is 63! Started on drums around 4th grade. I can brag to say I played professionally (for money LOL) in 8th grade.

hc=mWEpxn99pvgQ7kNvgGUsasK&_nc_ht=scontent.ftol2-1.jpg

hc=6wFELk08EgkQ7kNvgGpD_hb&_nc_ht=scontent.ftol2-1.jpg

I certainly have more guitars than I have talent. I've got a couple dozen cords and a half dozen strumming patterns down and can follow along with someone that really knows how to play. When I was a kid I wanted to play the guitar really bad. Now that I'm sixty, I can play the guitar, really bad.

Was thinking of posting something but decided against it but since Brian did... Me on the left. I would guess 94 or 95 maybe. Just talking to my buddy about these days. None of that gear was reissue... My guitar is a 75 LP Custom. That Strat is 63! Started on drums around 4th grade. I can brag to say I played professionally (for money LOL) in 8th grade.

View attachment 697439

View attachment 697440
Ha I remember Bourbon St there

Reactions: Timber II
Im not a music guy by any means, but you can really grab my attention when bending those strings! Hank Jr, Waylon, Hendrix, Clapton, Slash, Page, Nugent,Hetfield, Prince! Just to name a few.
This solo was truly inspiring!

A lot of people had/have no ideas how incredible Prince was on the guitar.
When Clapton said "Prince was one of, if not the best guitarist he has ever heard" blew me way. When I was in high school, 80 to 84, Prince was just chick music or what you played to try to get a little tail. After hearing what Clapton said about Prince, I started researching him. I found out that he played almost 30 instruments, 27 to be exact, the man was an amazing musician/ performer, not necessarily my style of music, far from it really. Nevertheless, I enjoy listening to his instrumentals and solos.

I'm a true Fender for life. I do have an Ernie Ball Bongo which is loaned out to a buddy for his preteen son.
BUT.....if I played the 6 string Dan it would be a Les Paul or SG.

Keith
Fender amp's and Gibson Guitars are my all time favorite, I love my Strat.
But I have construction worker hands, and my fingers are like bananas, so Strat's and Teli's are a lot harder for me to play than Gibson's.

If I had the money, my house would look like Bonamasa's "Nerdville".

Yea... I've always been intrigued with the guitar.. Love live music... My brain (what's left of it) just doesn't go fast enough to keep up with both hands like that...
You and me both brother, I started playing at 56 yrs old, it's so frustrating, but adicting as hell. My brain is fried and my fingers, neck and spine are shot, but I'm still making progress, slowly and not so surely at times. Progress happens at the strangest times, if you try too hard it's almost counterproductive, at least it is for me. I find it best to just keep plucking away at my own pace, and to not put too much pressure on yourself is the key.

If I can do it, honestly anyone can.
I try to play at least 20 minutes at least five days a week, which often times turns into an hour or two or more at times. Rhythm is not natural to most people, and definitely not to my old white ass. Yet I'm still obsessed with the process of learning these damn things. I'll never be a great guitarist, but I'm working at some day being a decent guitarist, that can sit in and jam with others and pickup what they are playing within a few minutes. Only time and tons of practice and frustration will tell, I'm not gonna let these damn thing beat me up. Best advise was given to me by Joe Bonamasa himself, I met him on vaction in Seattle 2 yrs ago, at Emerald City Guitars, which is a small guitar shop that specializes in vintage Gibson, and Fender guitars and amps.
He told me to "keep it fun, and once the fun is gone, to hang it up, because you can't force learning these damn things".

Amen to the above forktender!!! I’m in the same boat man at 55 and been learning a lot for the past 2 years playing a little every day (aside from duck season) and just keeping at it. Gotta bond w it and become one…..but I tell people I bought these guitars for MY entertainment not yours hahahah

I have owned guitar's most of my life. In my teens through 20s I could at least playy way through basic strumming chords. Learned some riffs and bar chords on electric as well but only learned the cool parts lol. Long story short I could only noodle around on them and pretty much suck lol. After I retired last year I decided it was time to own one again as I hadn't touched one in over 20 years. Bought a nice used Canadian built Seagull S6 Slim. I thought it would be like riding a bike but it sure wasn't!! I remember all the chord shapes etc as do my fingers but they are all in each other's way lol. I thought the slim profile neck would be good but I think it's actually the opposite and crowds my fingers. It's now been in the closet for months.

I agree FT. I played for open Mike night at a big country juke is Savannah every Thursday night. One night this picker/singer comes in and says "hey you know Purple Rain?"
Are you kidding me? Prince? No way!
He played and sang and I went back and listened to the recording and began my appreciation for his musical abilities .
We added Purple Rain to our set list😁.
Here's a couple of pics from last night.
Love playing with a 3 piece and the guitarist is one of the best around.
We've played together on and off for 30 yrs or so. Played a Les Paul and SG last night.
IMG_20240525_085429.jpg
IMG_20240525_085336.jpg

Keith

A lot of people had/have no ideas how incredible Prince was on the guitar.
When Clapton said "Prince was one of, if not the best guitarist he has ever heard" blew me way. When I was in high school, 80 to 84, Prince was just chick music or what you played to try to get a little tail. After hearing what Clapton said about Prince, I started researching him. I found out that he played almost 30 instruments, 27 to be exact, the man was an amazing musician/ performer, not necessarily my style of music, far from it really. Nevertheless, I enjoy listening to his instrumentals and solos.
Everything you said is 100% correct! I wasn't a follower or fan of his music, but he was an outstanding musician and guitar master!
Oh and I heard he was a pretty good basketball player back in the day too!

Everything you said is 100% correct! I wasn't a follower or fan of his music, but he was an outstanding musician and guitar master!
Oh and I heard he was a pretty good basketball player back in the day too!
The dude was like 5' tall, the basketball thing surprised me 100x more than his musical abilities. 🤣🤣👍

Amen to the above forktender!!! I’m in the same boat man at 55 and been learning a lot for the past 2 years playing a little every day (aside from duck season) and just keeping at it. Gotta bond w it and become one…..but I tell people I bought these guitars for MY entertainment not yours hahahah
Sounds like we may have been separated at birth.

My main passion in life is kill'in mallards and spec's, My Pop's stuck a single shot Sear's and Roebuck/ Ted William's single shot 20 GA in my hands and I killed my first duck at 6yrs old, first goose at 7yrs old, I've been hooked ever since.👍

I have owned guitar's most of my life. In my teens through 20s I could at least playy way through basic strumming chords. Learned some riffs and bar chords on electric as well but only learned the cool parts lol. Long story short I could only noodle around on them and pretty much suck lol. After I retired last year I decided it was time to own one again as I hadn't touched one in over 20 years. Bought a nice used Canadian built Seagull S6 Slim. I thought it would be like riding a bike but it sure wasn't!! I remember all the chord shapes etc as do my fingers but they are all in each other's way lol. I thought the slim profile neck would be good but I think it's actually the opposite and crowds my fingers. It's now been in the closet for months.
Pull that sucker out, and figure out when you can do on it and go from there.
If you saw my hands and fingers, you'd LOL!!!
I can't do a lot of things guys with long, slender fingers can do, but I can normally find something close to use as a workaround.

I love all music that is made using actual musical instruments, but I'm a metalhead from way back. I keep my Gibson tuned in drop D, so I can pick it up and have a chug fest when the more technical stuff is frustrating me, it saves many practice sessions.

Pull that sucker out, and figure out when you can do on it and go from there.
If you saw my hands and fingers, you'd LOL!!!
I can't do a lot of things guys with long, slender fingers can do, but I can normally find something close to use as a workaround.

I love all music that is made using actual musical instruments, but I'm a metalhead from way back. I keep my Gibson tuned in drop D, so I can pick it up and have a chug fest when the more technical stuff is frustrating me, it saves many practice sessions.
Think I'm going to sell that slim neck and get a standard neck. Couldn't hurt lol

Think I'm going to sell that slim neck and get a standard neck. Couldn't hurt lol
I feel the same way about my Strat at times, but it sounds like a strat, when I get things right. Although it is really hard for me to play, I dig the strat sounds when I do my part.
I look at some of the old blues players,and thier fingers make mine look small, so I know it's just me.

jcam222 jcam222 if you decide to sell and get new I’ll tell ya what my buddy Stevie the blues man (he played w the late Rondo from st Lou to Chicago at Legends - buddy Guy’s bar). Go play every guitar you can at many different stores till ya find one that fits…..they all different!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky