Dark Ribs with Smokin-It 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Count Porcula

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2020
I have a Smokin-It 2, and it works fine, but I am concerned because my ribs are always so dark on the outside.

I keep the ventilation holes open, so I know it gets air. I've been using chunks of dry oak in the 3-ounce range.

Are all the other Smokin-It users getting similar results?

I use a dry rub with various seasonings plus a little sugar.

Reactions: JLeonard
About 225.

I'm not positive this oak is as dry as it should be, but it came bagged from a grocery over a year ago.

I'm stumped, do you have a picture

To much paprika or chili powder? If that's in the rub, could be a factor. How do they taste? If the bark is tasting burnt, could be the sugars? Also if you don't have enough ventilation it can build up to much moisture and with nowhere to go can create creosote and give you a dark bitter tasting rib. Just some thoughts.

There is paprika in the rub, and I also add chipotle, which is really just hotter, smoked paprika. It's just powder made from red peppers.

The ribs taste okay, so maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

No recent photos, sadly.

There is paprika in the rub, and I also add chipotle, which is really just hotter, smoked paprika. It's just powder made from red peppers.

The ribs taste okay, so maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

No recent photos, sadly.
If they taste good, could just be the seasonings giving it a darker color. May not need to be to concerned.

Reactions: 801driver
Try doing a rack cut in half. Season one half only and compare the 2 when done smoking.
Next would be to cook a rack without using any wood to see how dark the meat gets.
I don't mind the dark color. I use cherry and apple mix when smoking rids, so I expect dark.

I’m not sure about the paprika, it could be I just know Jeff’s rub that I use my concoction of has a lot of it in it. What’s the smoke look like rolling out of the smoker?

The smoke is very light.
I’m sure it is, but where are the pictures? Of the meat, the pit, the fire? Until you can satisfy these simple things with pics, and there likely will be more questions requiring more pictures, don’t expect any substantial response from me, frankly it’s not even possible without pictures.

The paprika may not be the problem, but between that and the Chipotle you say you are using. Could contribute depending on how much is in there. Sounds to me like you just need to try some other rubs and compare. If that's not it. It's creosote from a well sealed cooker, with little ventilation.

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky