Pecan Pie ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I was ready for something sweet! Did I mention there are trees on the property? Snells to smoke with, pecan meat to eat in sweets!

IMG_9071.JPG

Check out the freezer....LOL I sent over 1/2 the pecans to my sister's.

Pecans Freezer.JPG

Anyway, I almost have the crust how I want it. So close.
Pie is easy. Did ya know there are two very distinct types? Light and Dark. Depends upon your sugar and Karo.

Anyway that a 9" pie and I cut it into 6th's. Now what am I gonna do with supper?

He airbrushes his pies too!:eek: :D
Beautiful Kevin! That and a quart of ice cream...bellyache
I knew an old Belle that lived in Dothan,Ala that could make it like a slice of heaven.

I'm powerless when it comes to pecan pie!!

We never had a holiday meal without a pecan pie, was my Pop's favorite. Tell ya a story, when newlyweds my Mom tried to make one like her Mothers, And exceptional pie. Mom's didn't make, was soupy. Pop came in from work and not knowing what to say to help the situation said, "Well if ya keep trying you get as our good as your mother's". Pop was just a poor country boy and was trying.....LOL Mom never made him another one.

He would approach my sister and I around birthday's and holidays and sort of insinuate that we'd get what we wanted IF we asked Mom for a pecan pie for us. LOL It was great!

He did love a pecan pie. I always let my sister make 'em for him, didn't want to possibly steal her thunder.

He airbrushes his pies too!:eek: :D
Beautiful Kevin! That and a quart of ice cream...bellyache
I knew an old Belle that lived in Dothan,Ala that could make it like a slice of heaven.

You know you need to be careful around those southern girls that can cook. Its their eyes, the sweet way they talk, and they make you think whatever it was, it was your idea. LOL.... I probably learned as many of my recipes from them as I did my mother. My recipe book was as good as most guys little black books, (definitely better than my little black book)
!

Reactions: motocrash
Oh good gosh man... You suck.
I want some pecan pie really bad now.
My wife made a huge tray of Peanut Butter Chip Brownies, I'd turn my nose up at'em for some of that pie.

Thank you Chili. The pie is simple to make, but its the crust that sells the pie! You better make sure your bride doesn't see that remark.....LOL.

Man, That pie looks amazing. A weakness from my southern up bringing for sure. Did not know about 2 types. I just use white sugar and dark karo (and alot more pecans than the recipe calls for), what does that make it ? That's what Mom had and used, so that's what I use as well.
Speaking of Karo, I loves me some dark Karo mixed with butter and spread on a biscuit. It'll make your tongue slap your brain loose.

My dad loves his Pecan Pie, so I make it some times for him. Normally I do one pecan, and one 'Chess Pie'...mine never look as good as yours do!

Now I got a hankering to make pies for sunday dinner to go with some pulled pork..

Man, That pie looks amazing. A weakness from my southern up bringing for sure. Did not know about 2 types. I just use white sugar and dark karo (and alot more pecans than the recipe calls for), what does that make it ? That's what Mom had and used, so that's what I use as well.
Speaking of Karo, I loves me some dark Karo mixed with butter and spread on a biscuit. It'll make your tongue slap your brain loose.

I remember, depended upon the time of year as to what you mixed into the butter for your biscuit. Steen's cane syrup, Grandma Molasses, Honey, or Karo. Course you hoped there'd be a couple left over so in the morning, so you could put a sausage patty or a little ham between 'em for lunch!

My dad loves his Pecan Pie, so I make it some times for him. Normally I do one pecan, and one 'Chess Pie'...mine never look as good as yours do!

Now I got a hankering to make pies for sunday dinner to go with some pulled pork..

I learned as a kid, it ain't how it looks, its how fast you can get to the pie! LOL There is a reason that the last one to the trough is always the runt of the litter.

Ok Kevin. Now that you have us all drooling, you're gonna have to do a post on it. I never was able to make a pecan pie I was really happy with. And being as how its Miss Linda's favirite pie................
Gary

They are really easy Gary. Here's a recipe

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup clarified butter ( 2 sticks)
1 cap vanilla extract
1 cup pecan chopped
1 9 inch pie shell
Preheat Oven 425 Degrees
Directions:

Mix all and pour into pie shell. Bake approx 20 mins at 425, reduce heat to 350 for 45 mins.
Watch Pie crust edges for burning.

Notes:
1. Buy a pie crust at the grocery store. I have used Pillsbury roll ups, not bad but a store bought.
2. Use either Dark Karo (corn syrup) w/ dark brown sugar or light Karo w/ White refined sugar. I seem to remember something special you guys up north have for corn syrup. Really special stuff. Good too. It's rattling around in my head and not coming out at the present time.
3. You have to set the eggs either at the beginning or the end. I normally do as the above says but.... it cause the eggs to expand wildly and can burn your crust. Today's I cooked at 325 for 45 minds. checked and the very center of the pie had not set up yet, so I jacked the temp then up to 400 and in about 15 to 20 mins the center was set with no burnt crust.
4. Throw 2 cut up sticks of butter in a mixing bowl into the microwave for about 1 to 1 1/2 mins. then let it cool a few while you do something else. Then pour the clarified butter into your mixing bowl without the milk fats. Its easy just to pour till you get to the fats.
5. If you detect the crust starting to brun around the edges, just set a piece of tin foil on top of the pie covering it all.
6. Let it cool, let it cool, let it cool before trying to cut it or it'll make you mad needlessly.
7. I hardly ever use a whole cup of chopped nuts. I don't have teeth.... so why waste 'em...LOL Don't worry about mixing the nuts in, after you pour them in the pie shell, they are coated in the good stuff and then they float to the surface.

Good to know, light Karo has vanilla flavoring in it, dark Karo has molasses.

Probably forgetting something but you'll figure it out. Did I mention buttering and flouring the pie pan so it doesn't stick?

And Foamy strikes again dany man how do you expect us to keep control of our waist line with post like this.

Black Strap Molasses up north maybe what your thinking of. I always like Kings PO-to-rick molasses but its hard to find now can find King Syrup but that's way to sweet. Like the butter and biscuit deal and one of my favorites is corn bread with butter molasses.

Warren

And Foamy strikes again dany man how do you expect us to keep control of our waist line with post like this.

Black Strap Molasses up north maybe what your thinking of. I always like Kings PO-to-rick molasses but its hard to find now can find King Syrup but that's way to sweet. Like the butter and biscuit deal and one of my favorites is corn bread with butter molasses.

Warren

Thank you, you made me do my research. The British use "Golden Syrup" which I always heard I should try if I ever get a chance. Its like corn syrup that tastes good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

Its on my bucket list to try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky