Pecan Pie ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the recipe, Kev.

I’ve been on a pecan pie and candied pecan kick lately. Can’t wait to try it.

nice looking pie foam. I want to pass on some foodie info to you guys. monks in Belgium use candy syrup in their beers. it actually contributes flavor. the syrup can be made by inverting the sugar. this is done with heat and acid. dead simple to do. dissolve sugar in a bit of water. add lemon juice and heat until desired results. Lyles is exactly this. if you continue to heat the syrup it darkens and develops flavor. the classic Belgian beer syrup is mahogany in color and is distinctly nutty with notes of dark fruit but much more milder than molasses.

nice looking pie foam. I want to pass on some foodie info to you guys. monks in Belgium use candy syrup in their beers. it actually contributes flavor. the syrup can be made by inverting the sugar. this is done with heat and acid. dead simple to do. dissolve sugar in a bit of water. add lemon juice and heat until desired results. Lyles is exactly this. if you continue to heat the syrup it darkens and develops flavor. the classic Belgian beer syrup is mahogany in color and is distinctly nutty with notes of dark fruit but much more milder than molasses.

Kewl, never knew it. This place is just a wealth of knowledge!

Kevin you have probably gotten me into trouble again,cause my mrs. loves Pecan Pie

Zwiller, morning.....
For a filling using the link you posted.... for Pecan Pie filling, does DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) need to be added since this is not going to be fermented ?????

I am no expert (it gets quite technical) on this though but I think that simply boiling sugar and water alone can invert the sugar but IIRC adding a catalyst like acid ensures complete and faster inversion. DAP is being used to take the browning beyond what is capable of just water and sugar. I think you can only really go golden without the DAP. In any event, DAP has nothing to do with fermentation in this case but I can see why one would think so.

From that link "DAP provides nitrogen for mailard reactions (non enzymatic browning) to occur. These occur between ~270F and ~320F. Another source of nitrogen is ammonium bicarbonate. It is a leaven used by professional bakers. As DAP breaks down around ~270F it separates into two molecules of ammonium and dehydrate-phosphoric acid. So it provides both the nitrogen for browning and the acid for inversion."

I made the deep amber syrup and was pretty blown away with the flavor it had and it matched the description in that thread. I would say try lemon juice first and make some golden and if you like the results and want to go farther and deepen the color and develop flavor try the DAP. It's like $2 at a homebrew store or online. Point being was no need to source Lyle's when you can easily make it at home.

Okay the nagging for Pecan pie got to me!! I think I hear my wife saying she loves you while eating.I used 5" pie pans so they look like the ones from the store LOL
Richie
100_7313.JPG

Okay the nagging for Pecan pie got to me!! I think I hear my wife saying she loves you while eating.I used 5" pie pans so they look like the ones from the store LOL
Richie
View attachment 374333

LOL.... The first thing I saw has the pie filled with the biggest pecan halves I ever saw! Never thought of a smaller pie.....LOL I had been put in my place, where ever you lived you had the most massive pecans ever seen, and I needed some to plant! ROFLMAO!

Love ya Richie! I hope your wife liked it, you know those are the best get out of jail free cards you can have! And remember if you did white on light, you've still got dark on brown to try also. Personally I prefer the dark, Mom & Pop the liked the other.

Just another thing to try some day when bored. Small batch of pie filling, stir in whole pecans, then remove, allow to drain a bit, then bake till dry. You will love 'em. Add them to Pralines? OMG! Add them on top a pumpkin or sweet potato pie at Turkey day, you catch dear sweet ol'aunt Bee, picking them off the top when she thinks no one is looking. LOL

Last edited:
Richie,when you eat a whole pie you don't feel to guilty or bloated.:)

Feel guilty? When I eat a whole pie, I wonder what I can find for tomorrow! LOL

I never thought about size though. I resize all my pie recipes, not only for 9 in, but I noticed they were getting a little thin on the filling, so they are also remeasured for deep dish. LOL.... if you ever see me cut a pie into 6ths vice 8's or even 12s, you wanta go light on whatever is for supper and seriously save some room.....LOL A piece a pie should be a meal in-its-self. Its why ya don't see much Ice cream on top around here, just no room for it.

Reactions: tropics
Feel guilty? When I eat a whole pie, I wonder what I can find for tomorrow! LOL

I never thought about size though. I resize all my pie recipes, not only for 9 in, but I noticed they were getting a little thin on the filling, so they are also remeasured for deep dish. LOL.... if you ever see me cut a pie into 6ths vice 8's or even 12s, you wanta go light on whatever is for supper and seriously save some room.....LOL A piece a pie should be a meal in-its-self. Its why ya don't see much Ice cream on top around here, just no room for it.

We split one the first night,now we split the split my God that is a rich dessert
Oh that pie crust recipe you gave me everyone still says it is the best
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky