Pastrami from brisket flat .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Did this a couple weeks ago . I've done pastrami from eye round in a brine . This will be the first pastrami from a flat , and also first dry cure with cure one .
This brisket was small . Just under 6 pounds . I cured the flat and ground the rest into sticks . I think after trimming the flat , it was only about 2 1/2 pounds . The amount of cure was next to nothing . Had me a bit concerned . I used a spice rub I like , added the cure . Held in the fridge 10 days .
I used Al's smoke then SV finish . It works great . Comes out really tender .
Anyway ,
Out of the cure , and dried off . I covered just with black pepper
20201017_110851.jpg 20201017_111701.jpg
I've been burning wood chunks in my MES 30 . Works great .
I'll pre heat the smoker at 250 with the chunks in the tray . Gets them started .
Then I back the heat down depending on what I'm doing .
20201017_111227.jpg 20201017_114556.jpg
Following Al's temp I took it out of the smoker when it reached 150 ish .
20201017_133020.jpg
Vac' and into the SV . 154 . I use a storage rack for sheet pans
to keep from floating . Edit : SV @ 154 for 24 hours .
20201017_133446.jpg 20201017_133526.jpg
20201017_143745.jpg
The wood chunks burn nice and clean . Gives just the right amount of great smoke flavor .
Works great with the Auber adjusted to keep steady temps .
20201017_133659.jpg
Get it sliced up and make a grilled cheese sandwich . Had some left over home made soup
to go with it .
20201018_165017.jpg 20201018_165425.jpg
This comes out of the SV so tender .
20201018_165440.jpg
Butter up some light Rye . Swiss cheese top and bottom .
Grill it off and have a bowl of soup .

20201018_173441.jpg 20201018_174222.jpg
20201018_174750.jpg 20201018_174804.jpg

20201018_174837.jpg 20201018_175723.jpg
20201018_175830.jpg 20201018_180343.jpg
That's a great sandwich . The soup is fantastic . I like the cure 1 dry rub . Works great .
Thanks for lookin .

Last edited:
Thats a fine looking sandwich! Im with you the dry rub curing. Always seems like such a small amount of cure campared to a wet brine cure. Ive only done a flat once. I always seem to make pastrami from venison roasts. I also need to try finishing one inbthe S.V. nice work chop!

Reactions: chopsaw
Thats a fine looking sandwich! Im with you the dry rub curing. Always seems like such a small amount of cure campared to a wet brine cure. Ive only done a flat once. I always seem to make pastrami from venison roasts. I also need to try finishing one inbthe S.V. nice work chop!
Thanks for the comments . The SV finish really works great .
Looks perfect Rich, nice piece of work,
Thanks Ray . Didn't last long .

Looks good but the only thing I would Change? That Sandwich needs Coleslaw and Russian Dressing on it!😊...JJ

That looks great chop!
I thought you'd been dry curing, you're right, the first time makes you triple check your math/weight - That's just a little pinch of the stuff!
Ya gotta love diggingdogfarm diggingdogfarm (YAY Martin!) calculator, I use it and print it so I can write notes/recipes on it for future reference.

I'm a dry briner also, and you Chop have hit it out of the park. Most Excellent sir.

Point for sure
Chris

dry briner also, and you Chop have hit it out of the park. Most Excellent sir.
Thanks bud . It was really good .
Very nice job bud.
Thank you Jake .
Looks like the dry cured worked great. Got it completely into the meat. Pop's works so good but need give that a try.
Brian , it does work good . Pop's is so easy . I wanted to learn them all , just put this way off 'til last .
I've used Pop's , Tender quick , the Phosphate injection and some Umai .
Give it a try .

Looks really good! A nice sandwich like that and bowl of soup would be great with our weather today. So when you dry brined it, you just used a rub you like with the correct amount of cure 1 per the weight of the meat?

Ryan

Looks really good! A nice sandwich like that and bowl of soup
Thanks Ryan . The sandwich was great , but that soup is addictive .
Been eating it since I was young .
So when you dry brined it, you just used a rub you like with the correct amount of cure 1 per the weight of the meat?
Yes . I basically use info and teachings from this forum . I use Len Poli , Marianski , and Rytek Kutas .
I have another book by " someone else " that in my opinion has bad info and incorrect amounts in it .
It does however have a pickling spice formula that I really like . I just choose not to give credit in his direction . So I mixed up that spice , then used Digging dog's calculator to figure the cure / salt , ect. per the weight of the meat .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Getting ready to do same this weekend except with a top round and eye of chuck. Will smoke first then into SV bath then set the bark in oven. Yours looks awsome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky