OFG Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Excellent !!
Awesome Recipe, and Fantastic Step by Step Thread!!!
And this All from a Movie Star!!!
I think you're trying to make me look bad.
Or maybe not even trying!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: disco
Excellent !!
Awesome Recipe, and Fantastic Step by Step Thread!!!
And this All from a Movie Star!!!
I think you're trying to make me look bad.
Or maybe not even trying!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Har! Pretenders like me will come and go but no one will ever replace or even approach the great Bearcarver!

Reactions: Trigger01
Quick question, I made several batches with eye of round and most pieces of jerky, after chewing and getting the good stuff, I wound up with a wad of tough unchewable to swallow or spit out. This happened with most pieces of jerky. I do trim the roast before cutting. Same thing with eye of round from 2 different stores. Does this happen to you? I switched to top round and found very little of the tough stuff.
Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll definitely try it as I have one that's good but think it could be better!

There are 3 places you can run into toughness with eye of the round. The surface fat layer, the silverskin on the surface and there may be a line of fat/gristle that runs through the centre. Slice the meat to the desired thickness and spread it on the trays for spicing. Look at the slices carefully. If there is a fat/gristle line through the middle, cut it out of that slice.

However, if you find you don't get it with top round, definitely go that way!

I have even made jerky with bottom round but you have to be very thorough in your trimming and look for gristle lines in each slice. I only use it because it goes on sale for a really good price.

The only way to get no tough pieces is to be fastidious in trimming the slices regardless of the cut.

Ah Ha! I got 2 of the 3 places but wasn't aware of the line thru the center. I'm going to get some eye of round and try again with your recipe! Thanks!!

I have tried this with less salt and believe it to be superior so I edited the original recipe today.

Reactions: sandyut
I have tried this with less salt and believe it to be superior so I edited the original recipe today.

Oh my better!!! cant wait to make another big batch! thanks for sharing and refining

My wife gets all frustrated with me when she loves a cook i made and I say "I can do better next time". I believe there is always room for improvements, even if just slight.

Looks Tasty Disco.

Some of us in the Pacific Northwest have switched to the dark side and use the metric system too. It makes math a lot easier.

With that said, back to designing beams using feet and inches...

My wife gets all frustrated with me when she loves a cook i made and I say "I can do better next time". I believe there is always room for improvements, even if just slight.
She must be related to She Who Must Be Obeyed!

Reactions: sandyut
Looks Tasty Disco.

Some of us in the Pacific Northwest have switched to the dark side and use the metric system too. It makes math a lot easier.

With that said, back to designing beams using feet and inches...
Welcome to the dark side. Your membership entitles you to drink beer and Canadian whisky.

Reactions: kit s
I know this is a simple excel file, but just in case it helps someone. I made a spice calculator for this recipe. one page has 3-10 lbs at the read and the other you can enter you lbs and get the values. same calc two ways. Enjoy

Attachments

• OFG Calc.xlsx
    11.5 KB · Views: 76
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky