Jerky Show & Tell (4 ways!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Culinary Otter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 1, 2024
Alberta, Canada
A few weeks ago my sausage making partner asked me how to make jerky, borrowed my (unused) jerky gun and went off to the races. Brings it in to work all the time and I gotta admit for a pre-mix, he does a good job. After talking about it, I figure I need to get back into the game after being off the bench for at least a decade.

So it hit -40 here tonight. I've cancelled plans for the week and am hunkering down. Working on the DIY curing chamber, although I still needed to scratch my jerky itch. Initially had plans for cold smoked chops this weekend but ol' ma nature decided that was not in my horizon.

So, as one would do, I pulled some rounds out of the freezer.

IR beef on the left, moose EoR on the right

PXL_20240111_150026862.jpg

Went with a super simple marinade on the moose, and cut it with the grain. Jerky is a soul food for me, I remember being a kid and pulling out a slab of jerky from the locker on the porch, and chewing it until supper time. Hoping to re-create that.

PXL_20240113_030002559.jpg

Upgraded the slicer, but unfortunately, can't figure out how to take it apart, so the $50 Nesco to the rescue. I can't say I was disappointed.

PXL_20240113_014409575.jpg

Batch #1

I mess around with flavors so if you're a jerky purist. scroll down or maybe just close the tab...

Caesar Jerky:

PXL_20240113_033427254.jpg

PXL_20240113_033140241.jpg

PXL_20240113_033143934.jpg

Other half was a spicy Caesar, same recipe except with banana pepper brine, a bit of Horseradish, and Crytsal.

Down to the most ridiculous batch:

One of my best memories of my salad days - my best friend's dad was a game warden. Every time his folks came to visit, they brought Elk meat, so for $1.99 we made "Elk Helper". There's something so salty and wrong about hamburger helper that I just freaking love to this day, so wanted to recreate it in a jerky stick...

PXL_20240113_060353206.jpg

PXL_20240113_052348481.jpg

PXL_20240113_065741893.jpg

80/20 ground which I normally wouldn't use, but think it's going to work, and I'm going to make sticks. Macaroni and cheese powder, nutritional yeast, and a little tomato paste. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Last edited:
I'm in as well! Sounds just different that I'd like... kinda like a peanut butter, pickle, and lettuce sandwich!

Ryan

Reactions: Culinary Otter
You got my attention. Big time! I've had moose jerky. And speedies. Loved it.
And I'm really intrigued with the Caesar mix. I'm a bloody Mary junkie!

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Wel I'm working all night....So I'll be waiting.

Jim
1000005139.jpg

Snuck one thin piece for sampling. The spicy Caesar turned out great - the little bit of brine I used from the banana peppers really came through (in a good way) which surprised me.

Will definitely make this one again.

The bigger pieces aren't done yet, and the moose is nowhere close. Dropped the temp down to 140 and will just let it go until morning now.

Hamburger Helper snack sticks in!

With the 80/20 mix I didn't want to clean a pool of oil out of the dehydrator so starting them in the combi oven first. Will move them over to the dehy in a couple hours once the fat melts out.

1000005141.jpg

1000005142.jpg

1000005143.jpg

First time using the jerky gun so they're not exactly "commercial uniform" 😂. If I was on a cooking competition show I'd have to call them "rustic".

Will definitely try making regular burgers with this spice mix too. It was all I could do to not fry up a patty this morning.

Got a good deal on a whole EoR at Costco the other day. Decided to play around with the new slicer and a makeshift recipe.

Beef broth, dark soy sauce, garlic, gochu garu, Tajin seasoning, salt, cure, and lime juice. Peppered after marinating.

1000005806.jpg
1000005804.jpg

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky