• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Newbie question about venison steaks

hangmanli

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hey folks,

I have successfully done a couple of venison roast at 131° for 24 hours.

now I’ve got a few venison steaks which were marinating overnight and I vacuum sealed them. They are about 3/4 of an inch thick. Can you guys give me a general idea of how long I need to put these in the sous vide?

thanks!

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I did these 125 for 2 hours and turned out great.

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Not sure how you like them but like I like a little on the rare side. Just do at what temp you like. Venison does not need to go long. I going to use that Black Hardcore on next ones.

Last edited:

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
I did these 125 for 2 hours and turned out great.

I agree Brian.

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
I did mine for 3 hrs @ 120 and then pan seared for 1 minute each side in a fairly hot pan and they turned out beautiful.

gnatboy911

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2017
With backstrap steaks you'll only need a couple hrs. I've found with hindquarter steaks you'll need longer. At 3/4 inch thick make sure you're pan is screaming hot as they'll over cook quickly during the sear.

hangmanli

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2017
With backstrap steaks you'll only need a couple hrs. I've found with hindquarter steaks you'll need longer. At 3/4 inch thick make sure you're pan is screaming hot as they'll over cook quickly during the sear.
Yes I learned that very quickly. Typically we like it medium rare. However on the last attempt the pan wasn’t quite hot enough so it turned out medium

I think the next time I’m going to cook them in the sous vide to 120° Then pan sear them at high heat

thanks again for all the advice!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.