Newbie question about venison steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hangmanli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Long Island, NY
Hey folks,

I have successfully done a couple of venison roast at 131° for 24 hours.

now I’ve got a few venison steaks which were marinating overnight and I vacuum sealed them. They are about 3/4 of an inch thick. Can you guys give me a general idea of how long I need to put these in the sous vide?

thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I did these 125 for 2 hours and turned out great.

Not sure how you like them but like I like a little on the rare side. Just do at what temp you like. Venison does not need to go long. I going to use that Black Hardcore on next ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: hangmanli
I did these 125 for 2 hours and turned out great.

I agree Brian.

With backstrap steaks you'll only need a couple hrs. I've found with hindquarter steaks you'll need longer. At 3/4 inch thick make sure you're pan is screaming hot as they'll over cook quickly during the sear.

With backstrap steaks you'll only need a couple hrs. I've found with hindquarter steaks you'll need longer. At 3/4 inch thick make sure you're pan is screaming hot as they'll over cook quickly during the sear.

Yes I learned that very quickly. Typically we like it medium rare. However on the last attempt the pan wasn’t quite hot enough so it turned out medium

I think the next time I’m going to cook them in the sous vide to 120° Then pan sear them at high heat

thanks again for all the advice!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky