New cut from GFS . Chuck flat .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Had a couple new items at GFS last week . One was a 14 pound pack of " Beef chuck flat " . Wasn't real sure what it was , but $3.99 a pound , and it says chuck .
So I grabbed one . Also bought a whole pork shoulder . At a buck 19 they made me buy it . That's a story for later ., but had to deal with it first because it was at date .
So did some research on chuck flat . Came across boneless beef rib . Fine by me .
So got it out yesterday and opened it up . Noticed it was select . That don't bother me . I can deal with that . There's a high and low end of all the grades . Some of these had real nice marbling . A couple were on the leaner side .
Got set up and trimmed and cleaned them .
Comes packed like this .
20210209_075635.jpg
First one trimmed up .
20210209_075750.jpg
One down , 3 to go .
20210209_080259.jpg
Cleaned up real nice . I'm pretty happy with this .
20210209_081313.jpg 20210209_081319.jpg
I cut 2 in half , left one whole , and vac'd them up .
20210209_082043.jpg
I sectioned the last one out for supper .
20210209_130213.jpg 20210209_131348.jpg
I used to spend all day working in this weather . Now that I have a choice , smoked will have to wait .
Stayed inside and grabbed the dutch oven .
Floured up the hunks and browned them in olive oil .
20210209_131928.jpg 20210209_132438.jpg
Did it in 2 batches so they don't steam . Pulled and resting while I add a half onion and a carrot .
Veg added just to flavor the sauce .
20210209_134155.jpg 20210209_134201.jpg
Got things together for the braising liquid . Lipton soup mix . Red wine and the Andria's
steak sauce . That Andria's is some good stuff . Comes from the east side in Illinois .
20210209_134207.jpg
Stone hill is a Missouri winery . I drink their wines .
I cook with what I like . Never had Ozark hellbender .
The name brings back some memories .
20210209_134218.jpg
Ad the wine to the hot pot , and let it cook out .
20210209_134324.jpg
Put the beef back in and add the soup and steak sauce mixture .
Then add garlic and some rosemary .
20210209_134405.jpg 20210209_134831.jpg
Put the lid on , and into a preheated 350 degree oven .
I don't time these things out . I'll smell it when it's ready .

I was downstairs working on a cutting board , and got a whiff of something really good .
I'm guessing it was around 3 hours later .
Sauce was reduced by half and the beef was super tender , but not falling apart .
Perfect . Turned the oven to 170 . Lid on and back in the oven 'til time to eat .
20210209_163301.jpg
Had some store bought yeast rolls I needed to use up . Made some mashed potatoes .
I don't use milk . Just butter and sour cream .
Son makes the greens beans . Bacon , beef base and dry Italian dressing mix .
This beef was fantastic . The dutch oven braise is the way to go for this type of meal .
Reduced sauce on the beef . Store bought gravy on the taters .
20210209_181810.jpg
Smashed own with my fork .
20210209_181840.jpg
Perfect meal for a cold day . Be looking forward to putting some on the smoker .
26 " kettle and some mesquite .
Thanks for looking .

Oh , boned out the oink . Got a ham curing from the picnic .
Couple pound hunk for BBB . Rest cubed up and frozen for sausage .
20210205_114335.jpg

That looks absolutely delicious! I can about imagine how good your house smelled. Great meal for a cold day.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
That's a beautiful piece of work Rich, big Like! I do my taters the exact same way, just sour cream and butter is the way I like them. The meat and the sauce you made for it really looks good and sounds delicious, love green beans with bacon too, I'd be all over that plate! RAY

Had a couple new items at GFS last week . One was a 14 pound pack of " Beef chuck flat " . Wasn't real sure what it was , but $3.99 a pound , and it says chuck .
So I grabbed one . Also bought a whole pork shoulder . At a buck 19 they made me buy it . That's a story for later ., but had to deal with it first because it was at date .
So did some research on chuck flat . Came across boneless beef rib . Fine by me .
So got it out yesterday and opened it up . Noticed it was select . That don't bother me . I can deal with that . There's a high and low end of all the grades . Some of these had real nice marbling . A couple were on the leaner side .
Got set up and trimmed and cleaned them .
Comes packed like this .
View attachment 484344
First one trimmed up .
View attachment 484345
One down , 3 to go .
View attachment 484346
Cleaned up real nice . I'm pretty happy with this .
View attachment 484347 View attachment 484348
I cut 2 in half , left one whole , and vac'd them up .
View attachment 484349
I sectioned the last one out for supper .
View attachment 484323 View attachment 484324
I used to spend all day working in this weather . Now that I have a choice , smoked will have to wait .
Stayed inside and grabbed the dutch oven .
Floured up the hunks and browned them in olive oil .
View attachment 484325 View attachment 484326
Did it in 2 batches so they don't steam . Pulled and resting while I add a half onion and a carrot .
Veg added just to flavor the sauce .
View attachment 484328 View attachment 484329
Got things together for the braising liquid . Lipton soup mix . Red wine and the Andria's
steak sauce . That Andria's is some good stuff . Comes from the east side in Illinois .
View attachment 484330
Stone hill is a Missouri winery . I drink their wines .
I cook with what I like . Never had Ozark hellbender .
The name brings back some memories .
View attachment 484331
Ad the wine to the hot pot , and let it cook out .
View attachment 484333
Put the beef back in and add the soup and steak sauce mixture .
Then add garlic and some rosemary .
View attachment 484334 View attachment 484336
Put the lid on , and into a preheated 350 degree oven .
I don't time these things out . I'll smell it when it's ready .

I was downstairs working on a cutting board , and got a whiff of something really good .
I'm guessing it was around 3 hours later .
Sauce was reduced by half and the beef was super tender , but not falling apart .
Perfect . Turned the oven to 170 . Lid on and back in the oven 'til time to eat .
View attachment 484337
Had some store bought yeast rolls I needed to use up . Made some mashed potatoes .
I don't use milk . Just butter and sour cream .
Son makes the greens beans . Bacon , beef base and dry Italian dressing mix .
This beef was fantastic . The dutch oven braise is the way to go for this type of meal .
Reduced sauce on the beef . Store bought gravy on the taters .
View attachment 484339
Smashed own with my fork .
View attachment 484340
Perfect meal for a cold day . Be looking forward to putting some on the smoker .
26 " kettle and some mesquite .
Thanks for looking .

Oh , boned out the oink . Got a ham curing from the picnic .
Couple pound hunk for BBB . Rest cubed up and frozen for sausage .
View attachment 484343

Very nice... I will be looking for that at my local GFS....

JC :emoji_cat:

Rich I bought a few of those chuck flats at GFS this summer. Manager had them on clearance at $1.99 / lbs and grabbed me when I walked in to tell me about them. I searched high and low and man other than once reference to being used as boneless short rib I found nothing. Pretty wild. I smoked some like I would the rib and it was great. I have a few whole cryopacks left in the freezer. All your good there looks amazing, quite a feast!!

Nice! I'm a fan of GFS, myself. I'll be keeping an eye out for those.
I too had to be out in this crap and I don't miss it at all!! Nothing like a slow cooked, smell good meal on a nasty winter day.
We'll have patio weather in a couple of months...

Nice score.
And that is one fine looking meal too.
Thanks . Yup . Chuck roast is up around $7.00 a pound here .

That looks darn good to me.
That always hits the spot for me . Thanks for the comment .

That looks absolutely delicious! I can about imagine how good your house smelled.
It's one of those meals you think about all night . Lol .
That smell of the beef searing is awesome .
Thanks for looking .

Rich, I have a question. Did the beef keep any of the crust from the "chicken fry" or was it lost in the liquid? Either way, awesome job on the meal.

Fred

That's a beautiful piece of work Rich, big Like! I do my taters the exact same way,
Thank you Ray . Yup . I like the taters like that . Holds more gravy !
Very nice... I will be looking for that at my local GFS....
Thanks JC . Other ones to look for is chuck pectoral and chuck tender . The label says chuck tender , but it's teres major or pettit tender . Great steak .

Reactions: JC in GB
looks amazing, quite a feast!!
Thanks Jeff . It was a great meal . You got a great price on them . I'll be smoking some for sure .
Take a look at this .

Thanks Jeff . It was a great meal . You got a great price on them . I'll be smoking some for sure .
Take a look at this .
I think that and one reference in a post from Canada is all I could find. Yea I lucked out as they had ordered by mistake. He knew I’d take them all when he marked them down lol. $3.99 is still a hell of a good price.

Nice! I'm a fan of GFS, myself. I'll be keeping an eye out for those.
Seems with the shortage of some things , they stock what they can get . I buy almost all my meat there . I can clean it up myself . This is the basic trip . Depending on price and dates packed and sell by . Love the 1/4 pound dogs .
20200416_115312.jpg

Nice brand of steak sauce ya got there! :emoji_wink:

everything looks great.
Thanks .
I've never eaten there , but get the sauce at the store good stuff . I worked with a guy that used to bring me " Pete's rub " from Novacich meat market in Collinsville . Great rub . Love that stuff . If you ever get over that way look it up .

Reactions: Hamdrew
That Looks Great, Rich!!
Mighty Tasty!!
Like.
BTW: I took your advice, and got 4 boxes of that "Lipton Onion Mushroom" Dry Mix.
Used up 2 boxes today on some Chuckies & Eye Rounds I finally found on sale!!!

Bear

Rich, I have a question. Did the beef keep any of the crust from the "chicken fry" or was it lost in the liquid? Either way, awesome job on the meal.

Fred
Thanks for the comment .
It might of had a little crust on the top where it wasn't under the liquid . I do that to thicken the sauce for the most part . I think it seals up the meat also .
And ,
Gives it some good color .

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky