Need some help with this odd half a brisket.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worm304

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
361175720396580046.jpg

Good morning!! So long story short I ended up with this 10lb. half brisket from Costco where they cut off most of the flat. It was packaged fat cap down so I couldn't see it. The "shark fin" (as I will call it for lack of knowing the name of the muscle) is bigger than I have seen and I usually try to get a more consistent fat cap on my briskets. I was pretty excited to try a trim I saw by harry soo where he partially separates the point and trims all the fat from it and cooks fat cap down. Don't really see that possible now. I also thought of completely separating the point from the flat on this one but that would leave me with a very small flat. Any suggestions on what I should do in regards to trim and cook? Should I trim down the "shark fin"? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I did already do some trimming to remove the hard fat and most of the fat from the "shark fin".

Last edited:
Bummer - I have been duped before too on some corned beef I made into pastrami - the package looked like a nice brick shape - and then the weird butcher job appeared...

Hard to describe, but I would try to trim it down - the meat on the bottom as you have it oriented looks good, maybe trim the fat with the fin off and see what is left with the "fin" portion.

I've never seen something like that before. I think I'd take the fin off and smoke it separately.

Chris

How much did you pay per pound? Seperating it will probably be the best way to handle it. If you didn't pay too awful much you could always grind it into some brisket burgers.

How much did you pay per pound? Seperating it will probably be the best way to handle it. If you didn't pay too awful much you could always grind it into some brisket burgers.

$3.99 so $40. I still plan to salvage. If anything I could remove the point and trim that uniform for burnt ends and do some crock pot Italian beef with the flat. It just sucks my costco didn't plan ahead for the super bowl. I am going to go back tonight and see if I can grab a full packer and vac seal this one and deal with it later.

Bummer - I have been duped before too on some corned beef I made into pastrami - the package looked like a nice brick shape - and then the weird butcher job appeared...

Hard to describe, but I would try to trim it down - the meat on the bottom as you have it oriented looks good, maybe trim the fat with the fin off and see what is left with the "fin" portion.

I did trim the fat from the fin. I didn't spend a ton of time on trimming last but all that is really left on the "fin" is bit of silver skin. I guess if I slice the fin off so that the entire top of the brisket is flat than it should be fine. The exposed meat will be point and I was planning on trimming all the fat off the point anyway. The last brisket I did on my lang I didn't wrap and not enough fat rendered out of the point.

Since your going to buy another one I would do like krj said & grind it up for brisket burgers. I actually buy briskets to grind & usually mix them with pork belly for some awesome burgers!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky