We have a something you couldn't live without in the kitchen thread, so what is something worthless in your kitchen?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sometimes my wife....
She has this quirk of having 3 times too many items of something we do need.
Cupboard is loaded with excess Corelle ware. She wouldn't bring the excess south and wanted new. Can we get rid of the excess at home? NFW. I could go on and on but will stop there.
We have exactly the same situation....a battle I chose to stay out of....

Jason

I have owned two of those crappy samsungs with the defective ice makers. They have completely redesigned them with the new samsung fridge i have now and they are great. Luckily the old ones got sold with the house. Poor suckers. Worst thing in my kitchen is a crappy ceramic coated egg pan that wont release the eggs. I also have a steel griddle with open slots in it that was a really expensive gift that collects dust.

Multiple water bottles, coffee cups/mugs and Tumblers. I use a tall contigo for my morning coffee and through the day I use my insulated Bubba Mug. Nothing else is needed. Recently the wife said we're doing a challenge to free our house of clutter. On day one of the month you throw out /give away 1 item. Each day designates how many items to purge. We got a late start due to helping her parents move. Today is May 8th. That means 36 items will catch me up, (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8= 36). Bye Bye bottles, mugs, and tumblers. Hello clean cupboards!!

Reactions: BigW. and jcam222
Multiple water bottles, coffee cups/mugs and Tumblers. I use a tall contigo for my morning coffee and through the day I use my insulated Bubba Mug. Nothing else is needed. Recently the wife said we're doing a challenge to free our house of clutter. On day one of the month you throw out /give away 1 item. Each day designates how many items to purge. We got a late start due to helping her parents move. Today is May 8th. That means 36 items will catch me up, (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8= 36). Bye Bye bottles, mugs, and tumblers. Hello clean cupboards!!
Great idea!! I may have to initiate that too

I'd say plastic bowl lids. None of them fit anything I can find. Second would be all the tumblers my wife has bought. There's got to be at least 20 of them now, and I never see her using them. I have one special one. And every time I go to look for it, that's the one she has been using.
Appliances? Waffle maker. I don't think either of us has made waffles from scratch since the kids were little. Too messy & difficult to clean.

Sometimes my wife....
She has this quirk of having 3 times too many items of something we do need.
Cupboard is loaded with excess Corelle ware. She wouldn't bring the excess south and wanted new. Can we get rid of the excess at home? NFW. I could go on and on but will stop there.
You beat me too it, I was going to say my wife. She means well, but can't boil water without a timer. :emoji_laughing:

Apparently a couple of older family hand-me-down cast iron pans. Years ago my kiddos used them when they were draining the oil in their cars. They've sat in the garage ever since. I've thought about bringing them back into the fold but I never remember(maybe on purpose who knows). At least I can honestly say neither has any rust.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
Almost everything we have has a use at some point. It may be at three year intervals, but almost everything gets used.

I was about to give the air fryer somebody gave me to goodwill. It's an old model and it smelled of musty garage or shed when I got it. I was never super impressed with it and I have a deep fry station in my garage with an EZ clean drain feature and sit that outside when I cant open the garage doors and use a fan (I climate control the garage...foodstuffs stored out there). But now, I found a use, at least temporarily. I was so excited to buy some frozen ready-to-fry breaded pickles. They arent that great, dont deep fry well and dont bake well. I noticed they had air fryer instructions and gave it a shot..they are much better in the air fryer! Also the smell is now gone. I wont buy anymore of those pickles, but stocked up so I gotta eat them now.

I would say next is my Butterball electric turkey fryer. Takes up a lot of space on my cook-line in the garage and gets used maybe once a year (no cabinet space for it). We dont even host Thanksgiving here anymore. It can steam a low country boil but I just keep forgetting to do that! Putting that on my meals planning list right now...

Something completely useless but doesn't take up much room are egg coddlers my wife bought thinking they were such a great idea. Whats the point? I can do soft boiled eggs just fine. I do most of the cooking, especially dinner. She will fry herself eggs sometimes if I'm not already making breakfast, but do you think SHE has ever used the egg coddlers?...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky