My Nov. TD entry, open faced Oaxaca sub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
*Oaxaca Sub

*(Accent on the middle syllable, as in wah – Haw – kah)

Open faced Oaxaca Sub with Ancho Jicama slaw, turkey molé, topped with Oaxaca, tequila, and mesquite cheese sauce. A side of Yucca fries with Ancho Lime dip.

Smoked turkey, cubed or chunked

Molé de Oaxaca (The recipe is courtesy of my 96 yr. Old aunt)

Cheese sauce:

Oil

Mesquite flour

Smoked Queso Oaxaca (Queso means cheese)

José Cuervo Tequila

Half & half

Jicama slaw:

Cabbage

Carrot

Jicama

Cilantro

Canola oil

Fresh lime juice

Rice vinegar

Honey

Yucca

Peeled and cut into strips

Ancho Lime Dip:

Sour cream

Cinnamon

Honey powder

Ancho chile powder

Fresh lime juice

I used a Jennie-O turkey that already had a brining solution added, so I thawed it and it went straight into the smoker, no rub or butter. I smoked it using maple, apple, and mesquite. Once smoked, I cubed the breast and left it to sit in the molé overnight while it was in the fridge.

0217e869_NovTD2.jpg

27065e17_NovTD3.jpg

My aunt didn’t give me the recipe for the molé; she just gave me a small plastic bag and told me no ratios or quantities. Oh well…

5bc2afdb_NovTD5.jpg

0f6e040b_NovTD6.jpg

I already had some Queso Oaxaca that I had smoked using my AMNS with cherry sawdust. This I used in my cheese sauce.

c690ecac_NovTD4.jpg

Next day I bought some Ciabatta bread, put a bed of Ancho Jicama slaw on it, then added the warmed turkey molé. I topped it with my smoked Queso Oaxaca cheese sauce, which uses tequila for flavor and mesquite flour for thickening.

For a side dish, I made Yucca fries, along with my Ancho Lime dip of cinnamon, honey powder, Ancho chile powder and limejuice.

734cbe2d_NovTD9.jpg

Thanks for checking out my entry. 

Last edited:
Reactions: meateater
icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man there Rich thats one heck of a sandwich. I could ony wish for the Mol'e recipe myself. We did  turkey dinner at one of my cousins aunts (it's a Gravely Thing) and I couln't talk a mol'e recipe out of them either. But one of her sons is sweet on my cousins daughter and I think that might get me some where thou.

allright rich   that is one tasty looking sub!    i cant pronounce  it and i have no idea what most of the ingrediants are  but it looks great

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky