Tribute For Kevin " Foamheart " My Throwdown entry March 2023 " 5 Boned Pork Rib Roast "

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Tribute For Kevin " Foamheart " My Throwdown entry March 2023 " 5 Boned Pork Rib Roast "

First off without Kevin's great post back in Oct. 16th 2016. This would not have happed for me. So thank you Kevin.

And thank you to all that put on the Throwdowns and all the work put into this .

DSC_6986.JPG

So here is my process following Kevin's post as best I could ( could not find smoked cinnamon )
Pick up a nice 5 bone pork roast and asked the guy to remove the Chine bone and told him what I was doing and he gave me a couple hints on how to clean the bones even.
In Kevin's post he said this is a good roast to use because it is cheap, well yes back in 2016, lol not in our day. But it was for a good cause ....My belly :emoji_yum:

So made Kevin's brine :2 cups apple juice, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup canning salt, 1 tablespoon of Maple extract. mix all together and bring to a boil, Than 2 cups of ice to cool it down

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Washed the roast off and into the brine for 2 days. Dried off and removed the piece of the roast so I could French the bones. Than Trussed the roast so it will cook more even and look pretty

4.JPG 6.JPG

7.JPG 8.JPG
11.JPG 12.JPG

Off to the fridge for 2 hours while I worked on the sweet potatoes. Brought out of fridge and added Kevin's Rub, Kosher salt and Ancho Pepper, and cover that with a thin layer of Brown sugar to hold the spice on ( the salt I ground down so not big grains, more of a powder with the pepper ). Now that was fun finding the Ancho Pepper, Found a market that had the pepper and the Peach jam that was also hard to find around here this time of year.

16.JPG 17.JPG

Set smoker at 275 Deg. to bring up to temp with vent wide open , Apple chips and chunks. Put the roast in . After 45 minutes dropped temp down to 220 Deg.
And than probed the roast . And wait until 145Deg. IT

At around 140Deg. started to add the Peach Jam every 15 or so minutes 5 coats in total and the last coat added a little brown sugar to incase the glaze. This was just great

22.JPG
24.JPG

Now here is the Louisiana Sweet Potato : bake 3 potatoes until done, scoop out the innards, mash up some. In a pot add 1/4 cup milk, 1 tea salt, 4 table butter, 1/4 tea cinnamon, 4 table maple syrup. Just heat until blended . mix potatoes in and into a dish top with brown sugar , bake for 1 hour

27.JPG 29.JPG

30.JPG

I made up some green beans and mushrooms and couple tomato cubes .

Here is a couple other shots to show the meal.

DSC_6984.JPG

DSC_6992.JPG

I have to say this was a great cook/smoke and like Kevin said the roast done in this brine was out of this world juicy and tender.
There is nothing about this meal ( except cooked green beans lol ) I will not do again.

Kevin loved using his preserves in a lot of his meals and he made a lot of different jams and jellies. He was telling me about his corn cob jelly. I hope to do that some day
And wish I had been here way before I joined to learn more from all our past members

This was a great Tribute to Kevin and glad I could do this in his honor.

Thank everyone again

David for Kevin " Foamheart "

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 5
Fantastic Job David. Kevin would be proud of that recreation.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Outstanding tribute, David. Could not have been done better. Thank you for sharing your process. I is obvious how much love and care went into your effort.

Thank you Kim for the comment
Very nice of you to say, and yes I followed as much as I could to Kevin's steps
And I was very proud of how it turned out , and I think He would have been happy :emoji_sunglasses: 🤠

David

First off without Kevin's great post back in Oct. 16th 2016. This would not have happed for me. So thank you Kevin.

And thank you to all that put on the Throwdowns and all the work put into this .

View attachment 662324

So here is my process following Kevin's post as best I could ( could not find smoked cinnamon )
Pick up a nice 5 bone pork roast and asked the guy to remove the Chine bone and told him what I was doing and he gave me a couple hints on how to clean the bones even.
In Kevin's post he said this is a good roast to use because it is cheap, well yes back in 2016, lol not in our day. But it was for a good cause ....My belly :emoji_yum:

So made Kevin's brine :2 cups apple juice, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup canning salt, 1 tablespoon of Maple extract. mix all together and bring to a boil, Than 2 cups of ice to cool it down

View attachment 662325 View attachment 662326 View attachment 662327

Washed the roast off and into the brine for 2 days. Dried off and removed the piece of the roast so I could French the bones. Than Trussed the roast so it will cook more even and look pretty

View attachment 662328 View attachment 662329

View attachment 662330 View attachment 662331
View attachment 662332 View attachment 662333

Off to the fridge for 2 hours while I worked on the sweet potatoes. Brought out of fridge and added Kevin's Rub, Kosher salt and Ancho Pepper, and cover that with a thin layer of Brown sugar to hold the spice on ( the salt I ground down so not big grains, more of a powder with the pepper ). Now that was fun finding the Ancho Pepper, Found a market that had the pepper and the Peach jam that was also hard to find around here this time of year.

View attachment 662334 View attachment 662335

Set smoker at 275 Deg. to bring up to temp with vent wide open , Apple chips and chunks. Put the roast in . After 45 minutes dropped temp down to 220 Deg.
And than probed the roast . And wait until 145Deg. IT

At around 140Deg. started to add the Peach Jam every 15 or so minutes 5 coats in total and the last coat added a little brown sugar to incase the glaze. This was just great

View attachment 662337
View attachment 662338

Now here is the Louisiana Sweet Potato : bake 3 potatoes until done, scoop out the innards, mash up some. In a pot add 1/4 cup milk, 1 tea salt, 4 table butter, 1/4 tea cinnamon, 4 table maple syrup. Just heat until blended . mix potatoes in and into a dish top with brown sugar , bake for 1 hour

View attachment 662339 View attachment 662340

View attachment 662341

I made up some green beans and mushrooms and couple tomato cubes .

Here is a couple other shots to show the meal.

View attachment 662342

View attachment 662343

I have to say this was a great cook/smoke and like Kevin said the roast done in this brine was out of this world juicy and tender.
There is nothing about this meal ( except cooked green beans lol ) I will not do again.

Kevin loved using his preserves in a lot of his meals and he made a lot of different jams and jellies. He was telling me about his corn cob jelly. I hope to do that some day
And wish I had been here way before I joined to learn more from all our past members

This was a great Tribute to Kevin and glad I could do this in his honor.

Thank everyone again

David for Kevin " Foamheart "

the amount of work that went into that was amazing well done Sir. BTW what did you do with the pork trimmings?

well done.jpg

the amount of work that went into that was amazing well done Sir. BTW what did you do with the pork trimmings?

Thank you Christian for the love and the likes and the comment

It was a little bit of prep, but the smoke was the easy part. Like Kevin said get the prep right and the rest just falls into place

And the cut off pork roast , some went into the Crispy Ginger pork I posted couple weeks ago, And a little left in the freezer for something , maybe fry up with eggs and rice. It was a nice piece of cut off,

David

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky