My Labor Day Throwdown Entry - Skewered Picanha

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
First off I have to give a big thank you to gmc2003 gmc2003 and tx smoker tx smoker for giving us a place to show off our meals.
Congratulations to DRKsmoking DRKsmoking as the overall winner. It was well deserved.

Now for the Picanha. I have wanted to cook one for quite a while after seeing a few really well done ones in these forums.

I was at my local Walmart and a few happened to show up.

2023_picanya_001.jpg

I had been reading up and watching videos and learned that it was a traditional cut you would get at a Brazilian steak house. Since I have never been to one I had to figure out some of their side dishes as well. I liked the skewered look so I went with that.

I fired up the pit with lump charcoal then used chunks of Red Oak and Mesquite to get it going. I only used coarse sea salt on the meat.

2023_picanya_002.jpg

It started with two per skewer but it was cooking unevenly so I quickly moved it to one per skewer.

2023_picanya_003.jpg

2023_picanya_007.jpg

For the sides I went with a Brazilian salad and cheesy bread balls.

The salad is pretty simple. Raisins, peas, carrots, corn and green onions with a dressing made with 1/2 cup of mayo, 1tps honey, 1 tps of fine sea salt, juice from 1 lime and white pepper.

It was set on buttercrunch lettuce with cucumber and green olives.

2023_picanya_005.jpg

The cheesy bread was made on a bubble waffle maker. 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 cups of flour, 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

2023_picanya_006.jpg

The best part about doing these contests is getting to eat what you made right after it.

2023_picanya_008.jpg

I hope that can inspire one of you to give this great cut of meat a try.

Congrats 90, I have been to several Brazilian grill many times and you did a fine job recreating it! Very nicely done!

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Congratulations West Coast Chris!!! That is a most excellent looking plate.

Point for sure
Chris

Thar looks delicious! I've never had it before either but that will change! Along with some cheesy bread balls!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky